Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing upgrade at the airport on ANA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Purchasing upgrade at the airport on ANA

Hello - I am currently flying on a codeshare ticket (UA) with the second leg of the flight on an ANA plane. To purchase this leg of travel as business class is $5K (just for this leg...). Does anyone know if ANA allows for purchase of business class upgrades the same day of the flight? They won't sell it to me now because I'm ticketed on a 'United' flight (plane is ANA). Thank you so much in advance for the assistance!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:53 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by SerendipityTravel
Hello - I am currently flying on a codeshare ticket (UA) with the second leg of the flight on an ANA plane. To purchase this leg of travel as business class is $5K (just for this leg...). Does anyone know if ANA allows for purchase of business class upgrades the same day of the flight? They won't sell it to me now because I'm ticketed on a 'United' flight (plane is ANA). Thank you so much in advance for the assistance!
The short answer is no: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-n...y-upgrade.html
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Just had a friend mention the other day that he was also told by NH staff that this was not something they do.
  • I asked a few times many years ago when coming over from UA (back when SFO to NRT was $300 to upgrade from Y to J per way on UA which seems like a steal now) and NH always looked at me like I was smoking crack. Could have been a lost in translation issue but it wasn't.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Plat, HH Gold, AMEX Plat
To my knowledge. NH does not offer upgrade at checkin with cash.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by chipguy
To my knowledge. NH does not offer upgrade at checkin with cash.
If I recall correctly, they do if they are overbooked in economy class to monetize the upgrades. But not as a general option.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:55 am

It was almost routine for me to be able to purchase the upgrade from Y to J at the airport on codeshare from United tickets LAX-HND(and the return) because economy was almost always overbooked.
The charge was $500. Their policy seems to have been changed because it's been a few years since the last time I was given the opportunity to do this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: QANTAS FREQUENT FLYER, VIRGIN VELOCITY
My guests were flying back to HND from SYD in June. They were offered by ANA to upgrade from Y to J for a mere 500AUD (400usd) at check in.
apparently the flight was overbooked and even J was full.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by pkjames
My guests were flying back to HND from SYD in June. They were offered by ANA to upgrade from Y to J for a mere 500AUD (400usd) at check in.
apparently the flight was overbooked and even J was full.
If J was full, why would the offer cheap upgardes ?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: QANTAS FREQUENT FLYER, VIRGIN VELOCITY
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
no idea, could be an overbooked flight?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
Probably J was full after they sold the upgrades....
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by SerendipityTravel
I too am on a codeshare ticket (UA) for BKK-NRT-LAX, with the first leg BKK-NRT on ANA, and the NRT-LAX on UA 33 which already cleared the upgrade to United Polaris Biz Class.
I am interested in the possibility of buying business class upgrades on ANA the same day of the flight or in advance. I know from reading this thread that it may not be possible but I thought that I'd ask again if there may have been a change in policy since 2017?
I am thinking of calling the ANA customer service line in the US and have a discussion with them - will this even be worth my time?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sapguy
I too am on a codeshare ticket (UA) for BKK-NRT-LAX, with the first leg BKK-NRT on ANA, and the NRT-LAX on UA 33 which already cleared the upgrade to United Polaris Biz Class.
I am interested in the possibility of buying business class upgrades on ANA the same day of the flight or in advance. I know from reading this thread that it may not be possible but I thought that I'd ask again if there may have been a change in policy since 2017?
I am thinking of calling the ANA customer service line in the US and have a discussion with them - will this even be worth my time?
No it will not really be worth your time. If Y is oversold they will offer cash upgrades as needed at the airport. If your booking class is high enough, you should be able to apply a GPU on ANA, but I am sure you thought about that already.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
No it will not really be worth your time. If Y is oversold they will offer cash upgrades as needed at the airport. If your booking class is high enough, you should be able to apply a GPU on ANA, but I am sure you thought about that already.
Thanks for your reply. My booking class is V, so not that high, and as I stated earlier, it was booked by United as part of their ticket so a code share arrangement with ANA.

I would be willing to pay the cost difference to change my fare/booking class to G, E, Y, B, M, U, H which are the classes which can be upgraded but I don't know if that's even possible. FWIW, I have a ANA account with no miles in it, but I can easily transfer 40,000 or 50,000 miles from my AMEX Membership Reward account.

But will this even work?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: ANA Diamond+SFC+1MM (NH*G), Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Penn Club of NY
Originally Posted by sapguy
Thanks for your reply. My booking class is V, so not that high, and as I stated earlier, it was booked by United as part of their ticket so a code share arrangement with ANA.

I would be willing to pay the cost difference to change my fare/booking class to G, E, Y, B, M, U, H which are the classes which can be upgraded but I don't know if that's even possible. FWIW, I have a ANA account with no miles in it, but I can easily transfer 40,000 or 50,000 miles from my AMEX Membership Reward account.

But will this even work?
You can call the ANA Reservations desk and ask how many people, if any, are waitlisted for an upgrade for your flight. All relative, but if you have no status with ANA and they mention 10+ waitlisted, for example, there's low chance of your upgrade clearing, assuming there's NH DIA and PLT in cue. It's a bit of a gamble.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: ANA Diamond+SFC+1MM (NH*G), Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Penn Club of NY
Originally Posted by UtterDisbelief
It was almost routine for me to be able to purchase the upgrade from Y to J at the airport on codeshare from United tickets LAX-HND(and the return) because economy was almost always overbooked.
The charge was $500. Their policy seems to have been changed because it's been a few years since the last time I was given the opportunity to do this.
Still happens. Earlier this summer, they were offering a $500 upgrade for HNL-HND. I agree, it's gotten rarer though. Perhaps, there are more outright C purchasers and better monetization of PY, which is lowering their need to offer buy-ups to premium cabins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.