Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA waitlist - does it clear?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

ANA waitlist - does it clear?

I see many flights in biz with waitlist as the option. But these flights have 20-30 empty unsold seats in biz currently. Is it the case that if these seats go unsold they give them over to folks on the award waitlist? If so, seems likely to clear, no? Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
I see many flights in biz with waitlist as the option. But these flights have 20-30 empty unsold seats in biz currently. Is it the case that if these seats go unsold they give them over to folks on the award waitlist? If so, seems likely to clear, no? Anyone have any experience with this?
They may release more seats, but not very likely to happen. Unlike US based carriers, ANA will fly with empty seats in the premium cabins rather release for awards or upgrades. They are protective of their premium cabins.

Also they do tend to sell the J cabin when you get close in. So if any releases are coming, don't expect them until 2-3 weeks before the flight.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:30 am
Original Poster

I guess that makes sense on some level, but when there are 30 seats empty and 4 customers waiting I am not sure that makes sense. Is rewarding their frequent fliers a good thing to do too?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
I guess that makes sense on some level, but when there are 30 seats empty and 4 customers waiting I am not sure that makes sense. Is rewarding their frequent fliers a good thing to do too?
It all depends, what route and how far out are you looking?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I gave up on waitlist. Don't waste your time or bet on it.

Do you feel lucky? Do you think you'll win the lottery? Pretty similar case....
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Related issue:
Did anyone here request an upgrade on miles, was put on waitlist, and finally got a denial? If so, what happened to the miles? No movement at all, or deduction of miles on the day of the flight and re-installment later on?
Old May 10, 2017, 4:00 am

Hello, slightly off-topic, I transferred 28,000 miles, which is the amount needed for a one-segment upgrade, and waitlisted to upgrade my onward flight. Since the miles won't be debited until the upgrade clears, can I also waitlist for my return flight?

The idea is that if one of the flights clears I would transfer more miles in case the other does too and otherwise I will not be stuck with too many unused miles ( although I understand they are fairly easy to use).
Old May 11, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I've very rarely had awards with a waitlist which clear. Revenue waitlist (for a specific cheaper fare class) clear more often. This is as a Diamond when I am or am not the traveling party. Overall, waitlists on ANA IMO don't often clear.

To give some context, my flights are typically ex-California to TYO and back. Sometimes to and from PVG and BKK from TYO as well.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:26 am

Thanks, so am I allowed to list for two awards if I only have the miles for one of them?

This way I will only transfer the miles for the second award if the first one clears, meanwhile I am not blocking too many miles on the account with only a slim chance of seeing them used.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:29 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I gave up on waitlist. Don't waste your time or bet on it.

Do you feel lucky? Do you think you'll win the lottery? Pretty similar case....
Thanks for your information. This is not the kind of answer I want to hear when I redeem ANA miles the first time. Flying to CDG in Feb 2018 and I have to start waitlisting now??? (Already tried searching for award)
Old May 18, 2017, 6:38 pm

I found that one waitlisted upgrade cleared just 90 days ahead of the flight. So I would say the earlier the better.

As a result I will not know if I can waitlist for two upgrades if I only have the miles for one.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:19 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
I guess it's beginner's luck. My first ever ANA J award ticket from SE Asia to Europe in late Jan 2018 cleared. I started waitlisting in mid May 17 and cleared in mid June 17. Cabins for all segments were wide open, basically all seats were available for selection.

I have no status with ANA.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:07 pm

So our return flight has still not cleared and shows
F6 A4 J9 C9 D9 Z6 P0 R0 G5 E0 Y5 B3 M2 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 L0 K0 N0
At four weeks. We are in PE waiting for J to clear. What do you think? The seat map shows little space if that's a helpful hint.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by af fp
So our return flight has still not cleared and shows
F6 A4 J9 C9 D9 Z6 P0 R0 G5 E0 Y5 B3 M2 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 L0 K0 N0
At four weeks. We are in PE waiting for J to clear. What do you think? The seat map shows little space if that's a helpful hint.
How little space? They are still willing to sell at least 9 seats. It can be hard to tell from the seat map how many seats are left because some seats may be blocked for high status flyers or full fare. Using a tool (EF, KVS) to see the blocked seats will give you a better idea of what is really available.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I have a flight on Sept 1st, Flight #116 from HND to YVR. I am trying to use a UA GPU but every day for the last month I have tried to apply the GPU through Uniteds' upgrade portal (for LH and ANA), I get a message that no upgrades are available and not even the option to waitlist. Is this normal or am I missing something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.