Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Can an award reservation be booked for a date past their expiration date?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium

Sorry all, I am search challenged.

I have 94K miles expiring on November 30. Can I use these miles and book a ticket before they expire for a date in the future. They expire 11/30/16 but I would like to use them for flights in April, 2017.

Also, can I change the date of a flight without a penalty as long as I keep the routing and class the same. I think based on what I was able to search on that one the answer is yes. If it is Yes, can I push that award ticket to a date past the expiration of the miles.

Thanks so much all.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:45 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Yes, you can book a flight for April 2017 using those miles -- however, if you have to cancel the flight you will lose the miles.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Thank you very very much.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:24 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Expiration Date

Hi Everyone, question regarding the expiration date of miles. If my miles are set to expire in April 2017 do I just need to book tickets by that date, or does the travel need to commence BEFORE that date? I'd like to book out as far as possible and was hoping to wait until March 2017 and book 300 days out.

Thanks!
Old May 12, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
Hi Everyone, question regarding the expiration date of miles. If my miles are set to expire in April 2017 do I just need to book tickets by that date, or does the travel need to commence BEFORE that date? I'd like to book out as far as possible and was hoping to wait until March 2017 and book 300 days out.

Thanks!
Yes. For example, you can book a flight on Feb 2018 at Apr 2017 (355 days in advance for ANA flights).
However, be aware of seasonality of required miles.
After ticketing, if you change the flight to lower season, miles are refunded.
But in your case, refunded miles have expired, so there is no refund.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:00 pm

Follow on question to this:

I have about 100K miles expiring at the end of this year. I originally had a trip planned at the end of this year which I will not make until next year (around March). I understand that i can book the tickets for next march before the expiration however I have some questions around this as my dates are not set.

1) If I book the tickets for march for say LAX-LHR-LAX in March and have to change the dates, will I be allowed to change the dates since the miles are expired?

2) If I book the tickets for march for LAX-LHR-LAX, will be be able to change them to LAX-CDG-LAX?
2b) How about LAX-EZE-LAX - meaning completely change the zones?

3) Lastly, how about if I booked LAX-LHR-LAX for 100K (or equivalent around 100K ticket) - could I change this to a RTW ticket that costs say 120K if I added the 20K later?

Thanks for any and all of your experience around this...

MTG
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
While I have not been a dominant player in AMC for the last few years, I will say that a date change should be fine as the issued award is not cancelled.

Your 2 and 3 seem to be outside the realm of possibilities.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Checking in to see if this is still the case and if I understand correctly. Thanks.

Points expire 30 Nov 2019. Want to book flights for March 2020 or July 2020.

Q1: Is it still possible to ticket award flights before the expiry date for travel BEYOND the expiry date?
Q2: Is it also still possible to change the dates (but not routes) of the March or July 2020 flights as we get closer (and pass the expiry Nov 2019 date) and not lose any of the points?
Q3: If ticket is originally issued, say, Oct 2019 for flights in March 2020, would I have until Oct 2020 to complete flights (if changed since original booking in Oct 2019)?
Old May 22, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Checking in to see if this is still the case and if I understand correctly. Thanks.

Points expire 30 Nov 2019. Want to book flights for March 2020 or July 2020.

Q1: Is it still possible to ticket award flights before the expiry date for travel BEYOND the expiry date?
Yes.

Q2: Is it also still possible to change the dates (but not routes) of the March or July 2020 flights as we get closer (and pass the expiry Nov 2019 date) and not lose any of the points?
You can change flights to date 1 year from the original issue. After you fly the first segment, the ticket is valid from the date of the first flight.

Q3: If ticket is originally issued, say, Oct 2019 for flights in March 2020, would I have until Oct 2020 to complete flights (if changed since original booking in Oct 2019)?
As mentioned above, you have to fly the first segment before the original ticket validity (i.e Oct 2020).
However, if you fly the first segment on Oct 2020, the ticket is valid until Oct 2021.
Torode likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
Yes.

You can change flights to date 1 year from the original issue. After you fly the first segment, the ticket is valid from the date of the first flight.

As mentioned above, you have to fly the first segment before the original ticket validity (i.e Oct 2020).
However, if you fly the first segment on Oct 2020, the ticket is valid until Oct 2021.
THANK YOU. I feel totally reassured now. I am going to wait a few months to give myself more leeway for date changes later. But this is exactly the info I needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.