Search

HND short connection- possible?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:52 pm
LOI
Original Poster

Programs: NH DIA, Flying Blue Platinum, AA Plat
HND short connection- possible?

Because of a very tight meeting schedule, my TA recently sold me a ticket from KMQ via HND to GMP (NH 1092/865) with a connection time of only 60 mins at Haneda. Officially itīs 70 mins, I think.
Will they give me problems at check-in or will they let me go and run?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:13 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
As you have stated, the MCT is 70 minutes -- your TA should not have been able to ticket a 60 minute connection. Given that you could be subject to an ATC hold at HND, cutting your connection even shorter, and the fact you would not be protected should something go wrong (including the possibility of being rejected at check-in -- NH is pretty by-the-book when it comes to this), I would not feel comfortable having less than MCT for a connection such as this.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:23 am
LOI
Original Poster

Thanks, armagebedar! Problem is its a major holiday and the evening flight is completely booked... But since I am in Business I hope it will be alright somehow.

Interesting enough, JL has a MCT of 65 mins which was no problem at all with my colleagues last week...
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:05 pm

I've done short connections in Tokyo and Incheon before. They are doable. They are very efficient.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I would not sweat this at all. Plenty of time and NH tracks their connecting pax so they'll make every effort to ensure you make the connection.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by 5khours
I would not sweat this at all. Plenty of time and NH tracks their connecting pax so they'll make every effort to ensure you make the connection.
It is not plenty of time, OP will need to change terminal, go through security and immigration. Usually, HND is also quite efficient there and NH will most likely do what they can. But still cutting it below MCT.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Your connection will be rushed, but it's not impossible. Domestic flights tend to be on time, which is good. Sit near the front of the plane and don't check any luggage in. Speed walk or run out of the domestic terminal, get on the bus to the international terminal, then use the elite shortcut line at security. Through immigration, and then onto your gate. You should get there a few minutes before the doors close, depending on how long you have to wait for the bus.

If you're falling behind, taking the Tokyo Monorail to the international terminal, while not free, might save you a few minutes.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:20 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
Your connection will be rushed, but it's not impossible. Domestic flights tend to be on time, which is good. Sit near the front of the plane and don't check any luggage in. Speed walk or run out of the domestic terminal, get on the bus to the international terminal, then use the elite shortcut line at security. Through immigration, and then onto your gate. You should get there a few minutes before the doors close, depending on how long you have to wait for the bus.

If you're falling behind, taking the Tokyo Monorail to the international terminal, while not free, might save you a few minutes.
OP, I would not do this at all if you are checked in for both segments at KMQ. Take the airside inter-terminal bus operated by ANA instead. They should transfer any checked luggage you have, but again as this is under MCT they won't guarantee it will make your flight.
Old May 5, 2015, 4:22 am
LOI
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your advice. Did the trip today, on the hight of the Golden Week U-Turn Rush and it was a breeze. No questions at all at KMQ, only they recommended I take the luggage with me because of the short connection time.
At HND it took 30 mins from touchdown until I cleared customs at the Intl. Terminal. Plenty of time for duty-free shopping!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: None - previously UA
40 Minute HND intl connection?

Due to a late schedule change on HAN-HND connection to the HND-LAX flight is now 40 mins, previously it was 1h55 min. Is this at all doable or should we just plan to overnight in Tokyo? Booked in business FWIW.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/ca/e/asw_c...n/checkin.html

At Haneda Airport
From international to international flights
45 minutes or more
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
When you try to book a flight HAN to LAX late November you get this and no other option, I assume its a legal connection therefore:

15:40 Hanoi
22:15 Tokyo(Haneda) NH858
--
22:55 Tokyo(Haneda)
15:50 Los Angeles NH106
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
From EF

NH-NH II .40 FLT 858 - FLT 106 HAN - LAX 30OCT16-25MAR17
Wow.
Very specific exception.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
On Monday my flight from KMQ to NRT landed at 4.27pm - 45 minutes late. I still made the connecting ANA light to Singapore which was scheduled to leave at 5.00pm Baggage also made it. Never thought I would though. I even went to the lounge for 5 minutes as there was a queue for boarding!
HND is obviously a bit more tricky due to the 15 minute bus ride between terminals but my feeling is that if the airline books the ticket on the website it should be possible. Better experts on Japan though may know better than me.
I also noticed that booking flights on NH and JL to places in Europe through FRA often also results in 50 minute connections. Never tried though. I can see how HND and NRT can work but not sure about somewhere like FRA.
Japanese airlines do seem to pad the schedules quite a lot so often flights arrive "early" which gives more time for the connection - as long as its not late of course!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by jackrussellterrier
On Monday my flight from KMQ to NRT landed at 4.27pm - 45 minutes late. I still made the connecting ANA light to Singapore which was scheduled to leave at 5.00pm Baggage also made it. Never thought I would though. I even went to the lounge for 5 minutes as there was a queue for boarding!
HND is obviously a bit more tricky due to the 15 minute bus ride between terminals but my feeling is that if the airline books the ticket on the website it should be possible. Better experts on Japan though may know better than me.
I also noticed that booking flights on NH and JL to places in Europe through FRA often also results in 50 minute connections. Never tried though. I can see how HND and NRT can work but not sure about somewhere like FRA.
Japanese airlines do seem to pad the schedules quite a lot so often flights arrive "early" which gives more time for the connection - as long as its not late of course!
Wow thats incredible. The best I did was a 30 min layover arriving from MUC through ORD. I literally skipped the entire no baggage line full of flight attendants, who were awesome to let us skip, ran out of baggage claim and back into terminal to go through security and made it with 5 mins to spare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.