Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does NH offer upgrades at the counter?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by slawecki
last year we flew iAd-nrt-iad. tried to up ug from C to F. there were 4 seats available. was told i could not, as they did not have proper food available. tried to ug this year, a week in advance from C to f. got danced around and around until i said thank you, and sat in C.
With what means where you trying to get the upgrade? Upgrade points, cash, NH miles, or *A miles?
Japanese carriers do not upgrade just because there are seats available in a higher cabin.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Just flew Ana from YVR-HND on 12/20 and they had printed signs posted at checkin offering upgrade from Econ to business for 550 CAD. The check in agent mentioned they were oversold. Equipment on that leg is the older config recliner seat 767-300.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:39 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by samplat
Just flew Ana from YVR-HND on 12/20 and they had printed signs posted at checkin offering upgrade from Econ to business for 550 CAD. The check in agent mentioned they were oversold. Equipment on that leg is the older config recliner seat 767-300.
Did anyone bite? Or did it end up given away for free?

LAX
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by LAX
Did anyone bite? Or did it end up given away for free?

LAX
My wife and I also flew on NH115 on 12/20 and the couple at the counter next to us purchased the upgrade. They tried to convince us to do that too, but we declined. I believe in the end business class was full. I rolled the dice hoping they would upgrade my wife and I for free (I ams *A gold) but that didn't happen. Perhaps they drew from their own NH top tier members.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
You were able to upgrade with NH miles but not with Aeroplan miles.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
My wife and I also flew on NH115 on 12/20 and the couple at the counter next to us purchased the upgrade. They tried to convince us to do that too, but we declined. I believe in the end business class was full. I rolled the dice hoping they would upgrade my wife and I for free (I ams *A gold) but that didn't happen. Perhaps they drew from their own NH top tier members.
Generally, any NH tier comes before partner *G, but one can be lucky at times.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
I was once upgraded as a *G for the NRT-SJC route
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by armagebedar
NH does offer a same-day cash upgrade service for flights that are overbooked in Y: http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/loc...vice/plantrip/

It's not a good deal for every route.
Their wording is quite poor. A fully booked Economy Class is not a problem. What they mean to say is oversold.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Next month I'm flying IAD-NRT-BKK on a UA revenue ticket and used a GPU to upgrade IAD-NRT to business and I'm trying to find a way to upgrade NRT-BKK as well. Does NH still not frequently do cash buy ups as it sounds like has been everyone's past experience? Or does anyone have a recommendation... it's a W fare so I can't do a star alliance upgrade since it looks like those require a Y or B fare.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by DErg
Next month I'm flying IAD-NRT-BKK on a UA revenue ticket and used a GPU to upgrade IAD-NRT to business and I'm trying to find a way to upgrade NRT-BKK as well. Does NH still not frequently do cash buy ups as it sounds like has been everyone's past experience? Or does anyone have a recommendation... it's a W fare so I can't do a star alliance upgrade since it looks like those require a Y or B fare.
It never hurts to ask, but I'd be rather shocked if they made it happen. The usual response is something along the lines of not possible, then when pushed, an offer to buy a brand new full priced C ticket and to throw away your Y ticket. As if!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by DErg
Even if you bought a Y or B class ticket you wouldn't allow to do the star alliance upgrade, as since you are on a UA revenue ticket, which means you are on a UA codeshare on your NH segment, codeshare doesn't allow any upgrade at all.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Even if you bought a Y or B class ticket you wouldn't allow to do the star alliance upgrade, as since you are on a UA revenue ticket, which means you are on a UA codeshare on your NH segment, codeshare doesn't allow any upgrade at all.
Good point! Thanks to the 1970's IT systems, codeshares = no upgrades possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.