Search

Violin as Carry On

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Violin as Carry On

Hello all,

I will be flying ORD-NRT soon, and will be carrying my violin with me, with the box, it is dimensioned at 31"x10"4". Am I allowed to bring it on board with me? I certainly hope so. Will also have a backpack to go along with my journey.

Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:53 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
As long as it conforms to NH's carry-on baggage policy, you should be fine. Your backpack may be considered a personal item (as long as it is similar in size to a daypack and not a huge rucksack).
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by flyhen
Hello all,

I will be flying ORD-NRT soon, and will be carrying my violin with me, with the box, it is dimensioned at 31"x10"4". Am I allowed to bring it on board with me? I certainly hope so. Will also have a backpack to go along with my journey.

Thanks
It should be okay - violin in its case (that's what you meant by box right?)

Make sure they know it's a violin and not a viola - if it's a viola they'll rightly put it in the baggage compartment where it belongs - ha ha just kidding! inside (orchestra) joke. hope that violist guy isn't reading this!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:57 am
Original Poster

LOL, thanks for all the info. I am just glad when my parents asked, I picked violin, not cello 30 years ago.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
I've traveled with a very expensive violin extensively on NH and here are some of my experiences:

Ten years ago, nobody in Japan cared how large the case was and let me on board without a question. I even carried a double case on one occasion on several domestic NH and JL flights.

As of four years ago, new government regulations were forced on all carriers, limiting the size of carry on baggage with absolutely no exceptions. I found this out the hard way after landing in NRT on an AC flight. The next morning, I showed up early to check in for a flight to NGO on a Dash 8-Q400. I was told my oblong case (made by Negri, and a relatively slim one at that), was a few centimeters too large and I'd have to check it. After arguing with management, we all agreed that they could build me a cardboard box to carry on the actual instrument, and they checked the case with the bows in a very large, coffin-like box. I was told that the case and violin would be allowed on an aircraft larger than 100-seat capacity, such as an A320/737 or larger but not on anything smaller, despite the case fitting easily into the overheads on any Dash-8, CRJ or ERJ variant.

Subsequent to this experience, I made sure I only booked flights to/from/within Japan on equipment large enough to officially carry my case on. I've traveled to and within Japan extensively over the course of the last decade- on average three trips per year. Each time I checked in since new regulations have been in place, an agent pulled out a measuring tape and ensured the case was regulation size, after which it received a special carry on tag with the specific flight number(s) and dates it was permitted on, hand-written by the agent. I have no problem with this, as it ensures it will be allowed on board, and I have had no issues on the many flights I've taken with this policy in place. Japanese are wonderful when it comes to consistency- something North American or European carriers could learn from. Note- a viola or double violin case would far exceed the published size limits in Japan though.

I've also invested in a Bam carry on case, which I find comes in very handy when flying in the US nowadays as well. The bow(s) can be carried in a separate tube. More info on this case can be found here: http://www.bamcases.com/en/instrumen...rbon-look.html
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Wow! Didn't know there is this much going on with a violin. I've measured my case extensively, and it's measured at 31' x 10' x 4'. Quite compact IMHO, and I will be flying in a NH 777-ER connecting to a CX 777-ER, lets hope it's smooth flying all the way.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
You should be fine. Not sure how strict they will be at ORD, but I'd just be prepared for them to scrutinize your case. Leave some extra time to be safe. Have a good trip!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I am fine, arrived in HKG, no trouble at all. They saw me carrying a case, didn't even bother with it. Not in ORD, or NRT. It's as if the violin was invisible. Only interesting thing, is that during the NH flight, their overhead bins are too narrow, so the FA took it and stored in one of their lockers, and ultimately gave it back to me before landing. Nice!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 am
LOI

Programs: NH DIA, Flying Blue Platinum, AA Plat
Glad you arrived well!

As an orchestra manager, I have had lots of experience with instruments on airplanes. The current policy on domestic flights in Japan is one of the most stringent in the world. They measure your case at check-in and they do not allow any exceptions.

What usually happens is that you buy an extra seat for your violin which is sold at check-in for about 10.000 Yen per one-way flight. NH can also reserve the extra seat in advance. Travel agents, especially outside of Japan, charge more.

One thing you can try is not to show the violin at check-in (have someone else watch it while you check in), just walk on the plane and hope the gate-agents do not notice.
They usually donīt because its the job of the check-in staff to make sure the carry-on luggage is ok to bring on board.
So this works most of the time.
The next problem is that the overhead lockers on some planes (even 777s) have separations and you may not be able to fit your case in there.

Anyway, the good news is that this only applies to domestic flights in Japan.
Flying internationally on NH or JL there is usually no problem.
Old May 4, 2014, 9:08 pm

Endangerd species

The big concern many have now is ivory tips on bows, as well as tortoiseshell and rosewood upon return into USA.

New regulations are making this an issue for musicians.
Old May 4, 2014, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

I think if you have the proper paper work of when it was made proving that the materials on it are hundreds of years old, you'd be ok?

Not every customs officers know what a "Strad" or the like is, but oh well. I am glad my Strad wasn't flagged...... NOT. =D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.