Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA "Insiparation" Y Class Future?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Question ANA "Insiparation" Y Class Future?

Hi all, very long time lurker, finally ready to post. I've searched for this and couldn't find anything, so pardon me if this has already been asked

I am looking to fly NH Y in late October RT JFK-NRT. I have liked the Y product of late on that 777-300ER route, the shell "Inspiration of Japan" seats. With the new PY being rolled out ending in September, what is happening in the back of the planes? Will the 2010 "new" Y product remain in tact? I'm flying for work, and we have a moratorium that requires Y right now.

Another option I'm looking at is KE thru Incheon on an A380, which seems like a nice Y choice. Last resort is E+ on UA, but I really hate their soft.

Any guidance would be much obliged! Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:07 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by MattPol
I am looking to fly NH Y in late October RT JFK-NRT. I have liked the Y product of late on that 777-300ER route, the shell "Inspiration of Japan" seats. With the new PY being rolled out ending in September, what is happening in the back of the planes? Will the 2010 "new" Y product remain in tact? I'm flying for work, and we have a moratorium that requires Y right now.
Since the Y product was only refreshed in 2010 under the Inspiration of Japan program, and NH hasn't even finished converting the entire long-haul fleet to the IOJ specification, I do not expect any updates to the Y seats anytime soon. However, there may be some minor changes to the Y soft product, but I expect these to be limited to menu changes.

If you like the shell seats that were panned on CX, you won't mind the NH Y seats; if not, then you'll be in for a rough ride.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I personally would NOT recommend the shell seats on the pre-Inspiration design aircraft for NH. They are pretty uncomfortable if you're tall and it's design leaves your back + knees hurting like crazy after a long flight (I've flown JFK-HKG via CX non-stop several times on those shell seats and I feel like I developed scoliosis from those seats.)

There's a reason why most of the airlines who had those seats aren't reusing them again. They were a great concept in mind but terrible when it came to actual use.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blackmamba
I personally would NOT recommend the shell seats on the pre-Inspiration design aircraft for NH. They are pretty uncomfortable if you're tall and it's design leaves your back + knees hurting like crazy after a long flight (I've flown JFK-HKG via CX non-stop several times on those shell seats and I feel like I developed scoliosis from those seats.)

There's a reason why most of the airlines who had those seats aren't reusing them again. They were a great concept in mind but terrible when it came to actual use.
I thought ANA was installing these seats on their new 787s?

I could also take Korean Air, on the A380 in what appears to be a nice Y product with 34in pitch. Is that preferable?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:09 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by blackmamba
I personally would NOT recommend the shell seats on the pre-Inspiration design aircraft for NH.
The pre-IOJ seats are not shell seats -- only the IOJ seats are.

MattPol, the IOJ shell (fixed-back) seats on NH also have a 34 inch seat pitch. This means that even if the person in front of you reclines, your leg room is preserved. KE has the more traditional reclining seats. Which is best is a personal decision.

Oh, and my apologies for not saying so first -- welcome to FT!

Last edited by armagebedar; Jun 5, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.