Wiki Posts
Search

NRT-JFK New product.. Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2010, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

NRT-JFK New product.. Anyone?

Someone MUST have flown it by now...

Looking at comments on the new C seats.... (and new menus!)

..and.. probably pushing it here.. any advice on WHICH seats to go for...
Old May 10, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by trooper
Someone MUST have flown it by now...

Looking at comments on the new C seats.... (and new menus!)

..and.. probably pushing it here.. any advice on WHICH seats to go for...
Looking for the same info myself as I'm thinking about giving NH a try for my business if the hard product is good enough. I've already decided to bring my own plug in usb fan because of the cabin temp. Can't wait to try the foo-on-demand via the lcd screen.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Yup... I laid out the options for the next trip to my travel buddy... and he was quite happy with the plan to fly NRT-JFK on NH.... I think (assuming no dreaded aircraft swap...) that it will be a VERY comfortable trip...

..and the new menu looks good too....

C'mon... there must be ONE FT'er in this forum who has "been there, done that"..
Old May 11, 2010, 1:00 pm

I love ANA F and it's my favourite product next to Emirates for F, but I am not sure about this new seat.
I'm afraid of that new layout - has anyone seen the pictures of the walls around the seat? it looks as if there is only ONE window showing and the space actually appears to be made smaller by the wall on the window side. Looks like alot of wasted space between the wall of the suite and the windows. I don't get that design. You've got 4 windows there, yet can only look out of ONE?
The meals on demand (business class) which can be ordered from the seat through the AVOD system looks great, though!
Old May 11, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: ana
i rode economy NRT-JFK on monday.
was my first time in a while to be in regular economy-there aren't even any premium economy seats on these aircraft.
the seats were better than normal economy seats- the seats "recline" within themselves, so when the person in front reclines, they don't come back on you. the cupholders are nice, they can be used with the tray up or down. the screens are nice except i think touchscreens should be banned on airplanes, because of the doinks who poke the back of your head for an entire flight. there are remotes, though, with qwerty keyboards on the back for text messaging between seats. good resolution on the screens as well, good for a couple of the new games on there. screen angle can't be changed, so might be bad for tall people.
the food and drink ordering thing looked interesting, but can't be ordered apparently from economy. you can look at the selections, but have to call an FA anyway.
Looked at the business seats on the way through- they were definitely interesting. i think the regular ANA business seats are great to begin with. one thing was that there was real separation between neighbours, which would be good if you're alone, but bad if you're with someone who you might want to talk to. I'm hoping to fly business on the way back on the 22nd, so hopefully can update more then.
Old May 11, 2010, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade pending? Good luck with that.. and any details you can provide will be read with great interest!! ^
Old May 11, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Flyingfox -- I totally agree w/r/t the F seat. Someone here posted a link to a news report with video of the new cabin interior, and the F seats do indeed have only one window, with the wall covering up the other 3. Must feel incredibly claustrophobic. All else equal, I would choose JL's new F over NH in a heartbeat.

The business seats are another story, of course. The new NH seat looks fantastic. Frankly I would prefer a window seat in business over F, since all the windows are unobstructed. I do wonder, though, if the business seat is comfortable in a reclined position (for reading etc.), since it appears there is no leg rest at all. The only places to put one's feet appear to be the ottomon or the floor. Looks significantly less comfortable than the previous generation seat with its adjustable legrest and footrest. For sleeping, of course, I assume the 180-degree flat position is better than the old sloping seats.

And I totally agree with Hashira re the touch screens in Y. Whoever decided to put touch screens in Y should be flogged. It's bad enough that many Y pax already grab the seats in front of them every time they get up. Now we're going to have people repeatedly tapping the touch screens...
Old May 12, 2010, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Flyingfox -- I totally agree w/r/t the F seat. Someone here posted a link to a news report with video of the new cabin interior, and the F seats do indeed have only one window, with the wall covering up the other 3. Must feel incredibly claustrophobic. All else equal, I would choose JL's new F over NH in a heartbeat.

The business seats are another story, of course. The new NH seat looks fantastic. Frankly I would prefer a window seat in business over F, since all the windows are unobstructed. I do wonder, though, if the business seat is comfortable in a reclined position (for reading etc.), since it appears there is no leg rest at all. The only places to put one's feet appear to be the ottomon or the floor. Looks significantly less comfortable than the previous generation seat with its adjustable legrest and footrest. For sleeping, of course, I assume the 180-degree flat position is better than the old sloping seats.

And I totally agree with Hashira re the touch screens in Y. Whoever decided to put touch screens in Y should be flogged. It's bad enough that many Y pax already grab the seats in front of them every time they get up. Now we're going to have people repeatedly tapping the touch screens...
Can you imagine how dark that cabin will be in the daytime flights? You'll have 4 windows in the whole cabin that are not "covered" up.
The space lost between the wall and the window is what is really bizzarre - who thought that up? It has to be at least 14 inches judging by the pictures. The centre seats will be even worse.
It looks like an office cubicle in the sky.
The business class fully-flat position is desperately needed! Those sloped seats are miserable for sleeping.
Old May 20, 2010, 3:21 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
NH has suspended the touch screen food ordering temporarily due to irregularity in operation (whatever that means)

http://www.ana.co.jp/int/svc/en/new_brand_2010/info_02/
Old May 20, 2010, 8:07 am
nak

I flew back from NY last week, and the food screen wasn't working, at least in business class. In addition, navigation to anywhere else from the screen seemed to be disabled. The only way to get out was to press the Home button on the handset.

In fact (ok not fact, my opinion!) the whole food scene on the plane was disappointing. They've introduced a new a la carte, eat any time you want concept. There were three appetizers, four main dishes, two desserts, choice of rice/soup or bread, two suggested menus (one Japanese, one Western) which are mixes of the former; two special menus, and four light dishes - which are the foods available in between the meal services. There were random pictures of some of the food selections. The menu was kind of cheaply printed and laid out in a confusing manner - and the meal service was kind of confused and rushed as well.

The worst thing is that there's no more Super Cheeseburger or Curry! I always looked forward to my Super Cheeseburger.

The seat itself is terrific. It's comfortable in upright, reclining, and full flat position. The storage is pretty good, tho it took me a while to figure out how to use the shoes storage bin. There isn't a foot rest per se, but there is a platform below the ottoman portion of the seat that worked pretty well for me as a foot rest. The space between the aisle and the seat is a bit cramped. There is also a box for storage of glasses and the like, and a cup holder. The tray is huge, but be careful when you pull it out - the rails are really well greased, and if you grab the rail instead of the tray like I did you get the grease all over your hands.

The new IFE is ok, not great - instead of eight films that you've already seen there are now 36 films, most of which you've seen. There was only one TV show available in English, which was the entire first season of "Mental." There are however six different map views, two of which are interactive. The response time of the handset is a bit slow as well.

Other minor things - I think there's only 100V power supplied; seats 5K, 7K, 18K only have one usable window - the other window is blocked by the seat surround; rows 5, 7, and 18 have storage units on the aisle that are used pretty frequently throughout the flight by the attendants.

Overall the experience was great, I slept like a baby, and the way the seats are laid out, you really do feel like you're in your own world.
Old May 26, 2010, 11:11 pm
nak

I forgot one thing - the new planes have washlets! I thought they were waiting for the 787, but they've been installed on the new 777s.
Old May 27, 2010, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! Hopefully some of that is just "teething"...

As it turned out I am NOT going to NRT or JFK this time...

It's ICN-SFO on SQ 16 again.. so a pretty good "consolation prize"!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:05 pm

Location: Westchester with HPN (LGA, JFK, EWR possible but...)
Programs: AA EXP, UA PP, HHonor Diamond, etc.
When Y award seat available?

(It is a bit off the topic, so MODs, if necessary move to appropriate thread)

I am planning to take JFK-NRT-JFK Y award with CO miles (that now exchangeable with UA ones) around Oct.-Dec. this year.

We will have 4-yr and 6-month boys, so Mrs. uecsome would like to take a direct flights in Y rather than my favorite route JFK-LAX-NRT in C.

Of course, CO EWR-NRT-EWR Y award (65k/person) seems open as well as ANA ORD-NRT-ORD C (130k/person) opens in several days.

CO is acceptable but I hate E- 31 inch pitch for the long flights and NH has new 34 inch one for JFK-NRT.

We are not interested in JFK-NRT-JFK in C since it's staggered that is horrible for family traveling.

Well, my questions are;
when can you find Y seat for JFK-NRT-JFK in general, 6 months to go is too late in the game?
has anyone succeeded to reserve NRT-JFK award seat with other *A miles?

I appreciate your help, in advance,
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by uecsome
(It is a bit off the topic, so MODs, if necessary move to appropriate thread)

I am planning to take JFK-NRT-JFK Y award with CO miles (that now exchangeable with UA ones) around Oct.-Dec. this year.

We will have 4-yr and 6-month boys, so Mrs. uecsome would like to take a direct flights in Y rather than my favorite route JFK-LAX-NRT in C.

Of course, CO EWR-NRT-EWR Y award (65k/person) seems open as well as ANA ORD-NRT-ORD C (130k/person) opens in several days.

CO is acceptable but I hate E- 31 inch pitch for the long flights and NH has new 34 inch one for JFK-NRT.

We are not interested in JFK-NRT-JFK in C since it's staggered that is horrible for family traveling.

Well, my questions are;
when can you find Y seat for JFK-NRT-JFK in general, 6 months to go is too late in the game?
has anyone succeeded to reserve NRT-JFK award seat with other *A miles?

I appreciate your help, in advance,
I've seen F and C seats availible on NRT-JFK and know someone who has gotten F seats on that route. There's also one FTer who has a mileage booking business and he's booked several seats in F on that route. Not sure about Y. IAD-NRT often has better availibility.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:30 am

Location: Westchester with HPN (LGA, JFK, EWR possible but...)
Programs: AA EXP, UA PP, HHonor Diamond, etc.
Originally Posted by ande777emt
I've seen F and C seats availible on NRT-JFK and know someone who has gotten F seats on that route. There's also one FTer who has a mileage booking business and he's booked several seats in F on that route. Not sure about Y. IAD-NRT often has better availibility.
I appreciate your help and info! I will keep looking for any Y availablity for a while, and if I find something I would report here again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.