Wiki Posts
Search

Status match

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Status match

Dear all

After some time around the world I've recently moved back to Europe. My business is mainly based between MIL and LON (usually involving 2 return flights a month).

Up to now I've been always loyal to *A, but my allegiance is no longer sustainable:
- The cheapest *A fare for a direct LON-MIL return flight in business is (will be from end of March) LH Italia, priced at around EUR 680.
- A similar flight in business is offered by BA at around GBP 280 and by AZ at around EUR 430.

My clients book my tickets well in advance and don't need flexibility, so I can't expect them to pay EUR250+ just because I'd like to fly LH instead of BA or AZ. Therefore, I need to switch my business somewhere else.

AZ offers 6,000 miles for LHR-LIN-LHR in business, whereas with BA I would only get 1,776 miles. Seems a no-brainer.

Now the question (sorry for being too long): has any of you been successful in obtaining a status match from AZ (e.g.: from *A gold to "Freccia Alata")?
Today I called the "MilleMiglia" call-centre and tried to explain the status-match concept to an agent: no way. She kept telling me "of course, you can enroll in the program and start earning miles...".
I already have 5 bookings in biz for the next three months and I'd like - at least - to give it a shot (especially considering the current promotions for former FrecciaAlata members that did not manage to renew their status: e.g. fly 10.000 miles by the end of May and get the status).
Where would you suggest to write / send a fax to? I am worried that the generic addresses simply won't do... (especially in Italy)

Thanks for any input on this matter,

lp
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:28 pm

I think status match is pretty much an "american" practice.
Given your pattern (20 return flights per year in paid C) you'll easily earn 80.000 status miles and get to FA+ the hard way.

Anyway, apart the extra redeemable miles, what's the point in getting FA if you are flying paid C?
you already get Business check-in, lounge access and a guaranteed seat in the front cabin ;-)
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maclover
I think status match is pretty much an "american" practice.
Given your pattern (20 return flights per year in paid C) you'll easily earn 80.000 status miles and get to FA+ the hard way.

Anyway, apart the extra redeemable miles, what's the point in getting FA if you are flying paid C?
you already get Business check-in, lounge access and a guaranteed seat in the front cabin ;-)
Thanks for your reply maclover.

You have a point and my information was incomplete. The fact is that I also fly approximately two returns per month in Y (usually weekend flights form LON to MIL).
Therefore I would really enjoy lounge access and, most importantly, +20Kg baggage allowance (especially in these first months when I'm moving stuff from one city to the other) and the +50% mileage bonus!

Last edited by lazerphant; Mar 11, 2009 at 5:04 pm
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:06 am

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
Originally Posted by lazerphant
Thanks for your reply maclover.

You have a point and my information was incomplete. The fact is that I also fly approximately two returns per month in Y (usually weekend flights form LON to MIL).
Therefore I would really enjoy lounge access and, most importantly, +20Kg baggage allowance (especially in these first months when I'm moving stuff from one city to the other) and the +50% mileage bonus!
You may also try to contact AZ through the following contacts:

Tel+39 06 65644 (24h/24) OR e-mail to [email protected]

It is not common practice from ST members to match status but because of the period they could do it... or maybe they would do it in the next months if you give them the idea.
Otherwise you should earn your new status very soon...
Old Mar 13, 2009, 4:34 pm

Programs: AZ CFP, OK Plat, LH FTL, SPG Plat, HH Dia, MR Gold, Carlson Gold, BW Dia, PC Plat AMB, Accor Plat
Have a look here: http://www.alitalia.com/EN_EN/millem...m/az/index.htm
Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pieterde
WOW! That's exactly what I was looking for...

May I ask you how you got the link? It doesn't seem to be accessible by navigating the normal website and I'm therefore worried it might be a targeted promotion.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:53 am

May I ask you how you got the link? It doesn't seem to be accessible by navigating the normal website and I'm therefore worried it might be a targeted promotion.
No worries
in t&c it says
This promotion is valid from February 23, 2009 to March 30, 2009; it is aimed at top tier frequent flyers belonging to other companies which are not part of the SkyTeam Alliance.
Assuming that AZ can't predict who has a TOP status with another carrier, asking never hurts!

Good luck and keep us posted with news

maclover

p.s.: non ti rispondo in pvt ;-)
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maclover
No worries
in t&c it says
This promotion is valid from February 23, 2009 to March 30, 2009; it is aimed at top tier frequent flyers belonging to other companies which are not part of the SkyTeam Alliance.
Assuming that AZ can't predict who has a TOP status with another carrier, asking never hurts!

Good luck and keep us posted with news

maclover

p.s.: non ti rispondo in pvt ;-)
I'm sending the fax right now, will let you know how it goes...!
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:19 am

Programs: AZ CFP, OK Plat, LH FTL, SPG Plat, HH Dia, MR Gold, Carlson Gold, BW Dia, PC Plat AMB, Accor Plat

The link was published on aviazionecivile.com

Let us know. Success!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
If a BMI flyer does the status match, how do they mark off their tier level?

At BMI Blue Plus = Silver ; Silver = Gold ; Gold = Platinum

So if you are BD Gold and you apply do you mark off you are equal to gold or equal to platinum? I'm planning four AZ metal flights in the next two weeks, to be completed before March 30th, so I am interested in the promo (while I plan on retaining my AF/KL FB status) So with four flights I should be able to retain AZ status for a year which might be interesting.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by sefrischling
If a BMI flyer does the status match, how do they mark off their tier level?

At BMI Blue Plus = Silver ; Silver = Gold ; Gold = Platinum

So if you are BD Gold and you apply do you mark off you are equal to gold or equal to platinum? I'm planning four AZ metal flights in the next two weeks, to be completed before March 30th, so I am interested in the promo (while I plan on retaining my AF/KL FB status) So with four flights I should be able to retain AZ status for a year which might be interesting.
From what they told me, they match *Alliance Gold to Freccia Alata. If the program does not feature a premium level above the normal *gold, then the maximum you can get is Freccia Alata.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:12 am

Programs: OZ*G
Has anyone had any success in getting this matched?

I have sent my request in w/ the fax, but i am not even sure if its been completed or not on the website.

The site has no place to see you current status.. (or does it?)

However, when I go to "My Statement" it says:

Miles required in order to access Club Freccia Alata Plus 0

So.....am I Freccia Alata Plus? :P or is it because I haven't accrued any miles that the system is getting confused?

Dear all

After some time around the world I've recently moved back to Europe. My business is mainly based between MIL and LON (usually involving 2 return flights a month).

Up to now I've been always loyal to *A, but my allegiance is no longer sustainable:
- The cheapest *A fare for a direct LON-MIL return flight in business is (will be from end of March) LH Italia, priced at around EUR 680.
- A similar flight in business is offered by BA at around GBP 280 and by AZ at around EUR 430.

My clients book my tickets well in advance and don't need flexibility, so I can't expect them to pay EUR250+ just because I'd like to fly LH instead of BA or AZ. Therefore, I need to switch my business somewhere else.

AZ offers 6,000 miles for LHR-LIN-LHR in business, whereas with BA I would only get 1,776 miles. Seems a no-brainer.

Now the question (sorry for being too long): has any of you been successful in obtaining a status match from AZ (e.g.: from *A gold to "Freccia Alata")?
Today I called the "MilleMiglia" call-centre and tried to explain the status-match concept to an agent: no way. She kept telling me "of course, you can enroll in the program and start earning miles...".
I already have 5 bookings in biz for the next three months and I'd like - at least - to give it a shot (especially considering the current promotions for former FrecciaAlata members that did not manage to renew their status: e.g. fly 10.000 miles by the end of May and get the status).
Where would you suggest to write / send a fax to? I am worried that the generic addresses simply won't do... (especially in Italy)

Thanks for any input on this matter,

lp
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hoto
The site has no place to see you current status.. (or does it?)
The little box at the top of the page to the right of the Alitalia and Skyteam logo shows your status: if you are a non elite member, it will show a green wing with millemiglia club written under it. If you are elite, it will show the symbol for your elite level (same symbols as on this page).

This only works if you are logged in. If you are not logged-in, the symbol might be wrong as the programming of cookies by the AZ website is faulty.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
got the Status, today.
I sent fax last monday [status match from BA]
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paffendorf
got the Status, today.
I sent fax last monday [status match from BA]
What did they match to? BA Gold (oneworld emerald) is really equivalent to Platinum and therefore Freccia Alata Plus, but do they may match to mere Freccia Alata on the ground that it is called "gold"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.