Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alitalia's financial difficulties

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
Fair enough -- but JFK-FCO-LIN is just as time-consuming in the air as JFK-FCO-MXP.

If I face either possibility I would take a different airline, connect somewhere in Northern Europe and continue on to Milan from there.
But what about everywhere else? Is it better to fly TLV-FCO-MAD or TLV-MXP-MAD? EZE-FCO-OTP or EZE-MXP-OTP? And so on...
After all, the US routes have lots of competition, whereas somebody coming from CCS or ACC is certain to have fewer choices. And MXP-JFK will definitely be kept (at the very least as a DL codeshare, but I'm sure there will be Alitalia metal flying it, too).
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:00 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by Dovster
Fair enough -- but JFK-FCO-LIN is just as time-consuming in the air as JFK-FCO-MXP.
nope. The flight-time between FCO and the two milanese airport is the same more or less but
1) number of flights between FCO and LIN is much higher than FCO-MXP flights.
2) if u have a meeting Milan city centre, you gain over than 40 mins flying to LIN rather than to MXP.

Consequently there's a huge difference between the 2 options.

If I face either possibility I would take a different airline, connect somewhere in Northern Europe and continue on to Milan from there.
I would do this (and i do indeed) every day of my life. But i have to say if AZ had the Cathay Pacific or Qatar Airways' standard/service, probably my choice would be different
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by graraps
But what about everywhere else? Is it better to fly TLV-FCO-MAD or TLV-MXP-MAD? EZE-FCO-OTP or EZE-MXP-OTP? And so on...
After all, the US routes have lots of competition, whereas somebody coming from CCS or ACC is certain to have fewer choices. And MXP-JFK will definitely be kept (at the very least as a DL codeshare, but I'm sure there will be Alitalia metal flying it, too).
i agree with grarasp, and moreover the choice is highly influenced by connection times.

Paradox:
would you fly YYZ-CDG-ARN if you should have 6 hours layover in paris, when the only other choice u have is YYZ-FCO-ARN with 55 mins layover in FCO?

=)

It's very difficult to establish a general rule when u're comparing itineraries with connections ( of course, to compare a direct itin with a 1-stop itin is another pair of hands)
cheers
Luke
Old Oct 25, 2007, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by paffendorf
Paradox:
would you fly YYZ-CDG-ARN if you should have 6 hours layover in paris, when the only other choice u have is YYZ-FCO-ARN with 55 mins layover in FCO?
I personally would rather be on a carrier of my choice in the desired cabin (>=J) on the longhaul with a long connection time somewhere than to be on a carrier of my dislike with a short connection.

...just my 2 miles ...
Old Oct 26, 2007, 1:48 am

That's obvious, Rambuster!
This is the reason why i try to fly QR and SQ as much as i can... and probably this is also the reason why AZ is not going so well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.