Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Alitalia may leave SkyTeam for Star Alliance - reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020 | 9:02 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

Originally Posted by Bloomberg
The Italian government is assessing several candidates to head a new state-controlled company to run failed carrier Alitalia SpA, newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore reported without saying where it got the information.

A leading candidate is former Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV executive Alfredo Altavilla, the newspaper said, adding that no decision has been taken. The government is also considering switching Alitalias partnership to Deutsche Lufthansa AG and Star Alliance, abandoning a current tie-up with Delta Air Lines Inc. and SkyTeam, the paper said.

Originally Posted by Flightglobal
Alitalia will need to evaluate carefully future transatlantic alliances as part of its strategy when the restructured company emerges from the air transport crisis, Italys economic development minister states.

Minister Stefano Patuanelli says the reshaped carriers business plan needs to focus strongly on long-haul transport, with new transatlantic alliances among the considerations for the management team adding that he does not believe stand-alone is an option.

He did not elaborate on the alliance remarks while addressing the upper house of the Italian parliament on 7 May, but said: I believe long-haul is one of the big assets in which to invest.

Alitalia is a member of the SkyTeam alliance but was absent from a transatlantic joint-venture pact approved last year between SkyTeam carriers Delta Air Lines, Air France and KLM, which also included Deltas UK partner Virgin Atlantic.
Old May 11, 2020 | 7:48 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Why would *A want AZ to join the club? Also *A and TATL JV (UA/AC/LH Group) are 2 different things. Do they really hope to join the JV?
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old May 11, 2020 | 8:57 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by TPJ
Why would *A want AZ to join the club?
To get their hands on the alliance joining and membership fees?
Old May 11, 2020 | 1:33 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
If they want to survive & fly lh & tatl , the first thing block ek flight mxp-jfk .
Also I hope that they join oneworld, not *A as they will always be get the step son treatment by lufthansa.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 12, 2020 | 8:08 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by diamantaire
Also I hope that they join oneworld, not *A as they will always be get the step son treatment by lufthansa.
Well, indeed, IAG may have been a better partner than the LH group, particularly given that LH appears to be reeling in the current circumstances. Reports in recent weeks have suggested that IAG may have been sniffing around Austrian Airlines, though it's probably not a great time for IAG to be seen to be out looking to buy other airlines when Iberia is in negotiation for some form of Government support, and BA is threatening massive job cuts.

I'm not privy to the thinking behind those that decided in the above articles that AZ was somehow on its way towards Star Alliance, but I suspect that it comes from a perspective that Alitalia was already visibly moving away from its previous "partners" in AFKL and DL, and that if it were to require some kind of new "partnership", that would most likely have come in the shape of LH or the LH group.

That said, I don't really see any particular need or benefit to AZ being in any alliance. They previously were restricted by their Skyteam partners and couldn't freely add the TATL routes that they themselves wanted without the approval of their TATL JV partners - which of course meant that they would have to share these revenues. With AZ frozen out of the purported new JV (AFKLDLVS) this may not have been a restriction on AZ and they may have been free to add TATL services as they pleased, without having to consult with AFKLDL, in the manner that UX has enjoyed.

As such, neither leaving Skyteam, nor joining an alternate alliance, whether Star Alliance or oneworld, appears to be of great import to Alitalia at this juncture.
Sciamano and clubeurope like this.
Old May 13, 2020 | 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited3M80 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I don't think *A would want them. LH has their hands full managing the current crisis and why would a tie-up with AZ help them in any material way?
Old May 13, 2020 | 11:01 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by cfischer
I don't think *A would want them. LH has their hands full managing the current crisis and why would a tie-up with AZ help them in any material way?
Given AZ's cockroach-like ability to survive, and with its future now assured by being nationalised, perhaps they will be taking over LH at some point this summer?

Old May 14, 2020 | 12:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Given AZ's cockroach-like ability to survive, and with its future now assured by being nationalised, perhaps they will be taking over LH at some point this summer?

Senor, perhaps more like the tardigrade? Because cockroaches need some sustenance. But AZ survives without water, light, food and does so in total vacuum conditions for normal enterprises....
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old May 16, 2020 | 10:12 am
50 Countries Visited500k60 Nights5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by irishguy28

Originally Posted by ReinaDeLaSelva
Senor, perhaps more like the tardigrade? Because cockroaches need some sustenance. But AZ survives without water, light, food and does so in total vacuum conditions for normal enterprises....
these two comments are the funniest things I've heard today...

On a serious note, I also feel that Alitalia would be a better fit in OW than in *A, given how many Europe based airlines *A already has. Given these circumstances, and LH's existing problems with OS, makes it seem less likely that LH will takeover AZ.
Old May 16, 2020 | 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! I haven't heard anything in a long time! Guess they will move over to Star or One World alliance. I haven't been on AZ yet.

It's time to change.
Old May 22, 2020 | 10:56 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Out of ST

A real industrial plan to be a standalone company or the difficulty in even finding the cash to pay the dues?
the trumpeted restart of new AZ June 1st comes with BI-weekly frequencies in June to JFK, most, if not all of which, appear sold out...
Old May 27, 2020 | 4:57 pm
10 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited5M20 Years on Site

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
any news on this? How likely do you think this is to happen?
Old Jun 16, 2020 | 12:59 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I wish they joined OW but I just dont think joining alliances is top of the list when they have been struggling with existence for the past 10 years
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020 | 10:28 am
10 Countries Visited

Programs: BA Gold
Hope they don't leave SkyTeam. They have a very good product, and earnings in Flying Blue are great (200% for Business and 150% in Premium Eco).
splflyer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020 | 10:38 am
10 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited5M20 Years on Site

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
If they were to leave, typically when do airlines tend to do so? Are their arrangements annual? Seasonal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.