Wiki Posts
Search

What should I bid for this upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What should I bid for this upgrade?

I've never flown Alitalia. We are flying economy ZRH - CAI by way of FCO. I got this email asking me to bid for an upgrade to Business.

What is reasonable to bid for 2 people? What are the chances of me "winning"? There are 2 of us, both on the same record, will they upgrade both of us? If I win, how and when would they notify me?

And finally, since I've never done this, how do I know it's legit?

Editing to add, I clicked on the link. The shorter flight, 1 hour 20 minutes, ZRH - FCO in an Embraer ERJ-175 is minimum 75 euros/per person. The longer flight, FCO - CAI, 3 hours, 20 min, on an Airbus 321is minimum 85 euros/pp.

Last edited by Graciecatt; Sep 24, 2019 at 2:15 pm Reason: adding information
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
It's really nor worth bidding up to Business Class on AZ's shorthaul aircraft. And based on your itinerary, you only seem to have 90 minutes between flights, which involves leaving the Schengen zone, so it's not as if you will even really get to benefit from the lounge during your transfer.

However, if you feel you must, then stick to the golden rule of bidding on any auction - decide yourself, objectively, how much you are willing to gamble, and then make that offer.

But, again, I would instead recommend you keep your money for Zurich - a VERY expensive city, especially in comparison to Cairo!
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
It's really nor worth bidding up to Business Class on AZ's shorthaul aircraft. And based on your itinerary, you only seem to have 90 minutes between flights, which involves leaving the Schengen zone, so it's not as if you will even really get to benefit from the lounge during your transfer.

However, if you feel you must, then stick to the golden rule of bidding on any auction - decide yourself, objectively, how much you are willing to gamble, and then make that offer.

But, again, I would instead recommend you keep your money for Zurich - a VERY expensive city, especially in comparison to Cairo!
Thank you - that's the way I'm leaning. How involved is security when leaving the Schengen Zone? We definitely don't have time for the lounge. Do we have enough time in general to make the Cairo flight?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:39 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Personally I wouldn't do it either. But, I do get lounge access through my FF card already.

You could consider upgrading the first flight in order to get lounge access in ZRH. I haven't tried the lounge there so I can't comment if its any good, but that may allow you to have dinner in the lounge - which could offset some of the 75 euro upgrade fee.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
You could consider upgrading the first flight in order to get lounge access in ZRH. I haven't tried the lounge there so I can't comment if its any good, but that may allow you to have dinner in the lounge - which could offset some of the 75 euro upgrade fee.
Lest the OP get the wrong impression, I think it's important to state that the lounge in ZRH (dnata Skyview Lounge) does not offer "dinner", per se (the Skyteam website states "Quick Meal", "Appetisers" and "Snacks", so don't think you are going to get anything close to a decent meal). The most recent reviews of this particular lounge here are not very promising, and indicate a lack of food.

I would rather advise that you spend the €75 (quoted in the previous mail but not sure where the figure originally comes from) on a proper meal in a proper restaurant, rather than a lounge! Or, if the dnata Skyview Lounge has nevertheless cast a spell over the OP, purchase access directly at the link above for €34 per person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.