Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

AZ loses a bag for 5 days on a paid business class ticket from FCO to CDG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, BA, FlyingBLue, AA

Should I be grateful because they bothered to apologize? Could it be my fault becaue I checked in 2+ hours before the flight? I guess AZ staff might have a problem with premature check-ins. Does it make it all OK because the bag caught up with me 5 days later? I don't think so. Will I ever fly AZ again. Sure - after hell freezes over.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:14 pm

That is indeed very poor — and regardless of the class of travel. However (and by no means this will excuse the level of service you experienced on this occasion), these things happen and I hope AZ will offer some compensation on top of the apologies, which they’ve already offered, at least judging by your words. Travel insurance could also help but I’m no expert when it comes to that hence I could indeed be wrong here.

G
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by Diogenes1789
Should I be grateful because they bothered to apologize? Could it be my fault becaue I checked in 2+ hours before the flight? I guess AZ staff might have a problem with premature check-ins. Does it make it all OK because the bag caught up with me 5 days later? I don't think so. Will I ever fly AZ again. Sure - after hell freezes over.
I hope you feel better now...
MichaelBaku likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Could it be my fault becaue I checked in 2+ hours before the flight?
A few years ago, I was flying JFK-MXP and AZ lost my bag, as well as a half dozen or so others based on the number of people that were with me in the lost baggage office. For the first two days, they couldn't even tell me where it was. It turned up on the third day at 1:30am, apparently sent to FCO and then via courier to me in Milan.

What was interesting is that all of the lost bags belonged to people who had checked in early. They must have set them aside and never even scanned the tags, or they'd have been able to tell me that my bag was still at JFK.

It wasn't a happy time - I was on a business trip and had a few things in my carry-on, but not enough - but I saved the receipts for the clothes and toiletries I had to buy and AZ eventually (after much hounding) reimbursed me for my emergency purchases.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:30 pm

More than being amazed by AZ loosing a bag for 5 days, I find it strange that frequent travellers write about it! Could anybody name an airline when such a thing never happens? Also, isn't it normal that somebody will be upset/bothered when (s)he won't have access to her/his stuff when being abroad? So other than feeling better afterwards, as Air Rarotonga rightly suggested, what's the purpose of these posts?

PS It has happened to me too, last time flying MIA-ATL on DL a couple of years ago. So?
ulxima likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
CDG has always been a bogey for me as regards checked baggage. Every time I connected through there (on AFKL) - even, on the last occasion, deliberately choosing a much-later flight on to AMS in order to allow my bag more time to make the connection - the bag would not appear at my destination (though usually within 3 days).

I never check a bag to/through CDG now
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:55 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
This was a flight to CDG, not from, making the risk of losing the bag a lot smaller.

However I do agree on that observation. Last year I flew through CDG three times: Two times they lost my bag, and one time it came out soaking wet - most of the items inside had to be washed/drycleaned. Yes there was heavy rain at CDG during the tranfer, but I'd expect them to cover up the bags during transport. Though in the end I was reimbursed for the drycleaning costs by AF.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by Xandrios
This was a flight to CDG, not from, making the risk of losing the bag a lot smaller.

However I do agree on that observation. Last year I flew through CDG three times: Two times they lost my bag, and one time it came out soaking wet - most of the items inside had to be washed/drycleaned. Yes there was heavy rain at CDG during the tranfer, but I'd expect them to cover up the bags during transport. Though in the end I was reimbursed for the drycleaning costs by AF.
My last four flights through CDG have been in December/January.
Bags arrived at destinations (PEK, WAW, HKG, FCO) without any issue and in one occasion I checked the bag in FCO something like three hours before departure.
Three times I did not get my bag together with my flight because the connecting leg was horribly late (VCE-CDG-TUN in 2005, LHR-CDG-SIN in 2010, FCO-CDG-HND in 2015, yes an occurrence every five years ) and I barely made the connection myself. However I always got the bag the following morning. Remarkable and first class was the handling at HND in 2015.
In comparison both LH and LX decided that I did not need my bag anymore and delivered it back home directly while I was away (LUX and VCE) :roll eyes:
Both departures in those cases were from LCY.
Then we have BA and LHR/LGW nightmares....oh well let's just forget about it or we are going to rewrite the Encyclopaedia Britannica....
KLouis is right guys, move on and travel more like Mr. Bingham!

Ulxima
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, BA, FlyingBLue, AA
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
That is indeed very poor — and regardless of the class of travel. However (and by no means this will excuse the level of service you experienced on this occasion), these things happen and I hope AZ will offer some compensation on top of the apologies, which they’ve already offered, at least judging by your words. Travel insurance could also help but I’m no expert when it comes to that hence I could indeed be wrong here.

G
Did AZ offer any compensation ? No!. And it was almost completely impossible to contact anyone at AZ that had any information at all. It was days before the bag got to CDG, and by then, I had already departed

Might one expect a carrier to lose track of a bag occasionally? Of course - it's happened to me before - but NOT on a paid business class fare.

Travel Insurance ? I had it for this trip - under TravelEx - almost worthless unless there is a major loss. I only buy the insurance for the rental car primary coverage. How far would $100 USD go for buying clothing in Paris (if one even had the time to go shopping before the next flight)?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Might one expect a carrier to lose track of a bag occasionally? Of course - it's happened to me before - but NOT on a paid business class fare.
You make it sound as if baggage loss is a deliberate act, and that the airline can intervene to prevent this from happening to paid business class ticket holders, and therefore this little game of theirs should only occur to economy class tickets (whether paid or not) or "non-paid" business class tickets.

[Conversely, if an airline can somehow ensure that paid business class bags NEVER get lost, then you would wonder why they don't extend that to ALL checked bags]

There is one luggage system, and all bags go through it. If something along the way goes wrong, whether the bag was checked in by a paying customer, an award ticket holder, a non-rev/discount/consolidator/tour ticket holder, or anybody else, is not going to be of relevance.

Did Alitalia recompense you for the receipts submitted for the purchase of essentials?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.