Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it safe to book?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Is it safe to book?

I am looking at an Alitalia itinerary for end of Dec/early Jan. Is it safe to purchase given its financial situation? Would my travel insurance cover me given it has filed for bankruptcy, in the event that it stops flying?

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:39 am

@Dan1113,

Hi and welcome to the Alitalia [sub]forum.

In answer to your question: you should be absolutely fine, bearing in mind the element of risk that always arises in such circumstances. In terms of getting the money back [should the worst comes to worst], chances are that you could be in a position to claim money back if you booked using a credit card, your booking was ATOL protected or it was covered on insurance.

So far, no disruptions to the standard's day-to-day operations have been reported and services have been operating as usual.

Any doubts, feel free to share.

G
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Alitalia is widely expected to fly until at least April, as the Italian government recently increased their line of support beyond the original November deadline (i.e., now) into next year, to extend the sale process due to the turbulence in European skies (loss of airberlin, chaos at FR that forced them to pull out of the hunt, loss of Monarch - all of which "distracted" suitors). If you are still not convinced, how about this - an Italian who worked as Emirates' country manager recently left Emirates to go work for Alitalia!!!! ( )

You should be pretty confident that any flight in the timeframe mentioned will operate, subject to the usual provisos (weather, strikes - but NOT bankruptcy).
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
They've also just announced another long-haul route (JNB, which would be a return as AZ used to fly to South Africa in the good-old 747/MD11 days!), we'll see if that will ever happen, though

G
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:28 am

variation of what has already been asked

looking at flights LAX- Rome for September.
What's the chance that flights will be going off at that time?
If bankruptcy occurs, do I loose my money? even if paid for with AMEX?
product due to morale/ financial stress?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.