Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Air Berlin + MilleMiglia Points/ qualifying Fligyts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alitalia MilleMiglia

Morning everyone

I have a return flight booked for this weekend from Rome to Berlin. Booked on the Alitalia website. Outbound flight is operated by Alitalia, the return flight I now discover is operated by Air Berlin...

Let's assume the return flight goes ahead as planned! Will I be credited any points/a qualifying flight for the TXL to Rome AB-operated sector? I know that some airlines such as British Airways have discontinued crediting their frequent flyer programs for AB-flown sectors.

Thanks.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
As of the time of writing, there is no mention on the Alitalia website - certainly not on the AB partner page - regarding the suspension of earning on AB flights.

However, it's a fluid and changing scenario so who knows?

(If your flight was booked under an AZ flight number, mileage earning should be guaranteed regardless of any announcement regarding the ending of earning on AB flights. BA doesn't withold Avios/TPs for flights on AB-operated flights booked under the BA flightcode)

Given today's mass cancellations due to 200 AB pilots calling in sick, I would be more concerned as to whether the flight will actually operate or not.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:36 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Air Berlin just released the news that they have ceased giving out frequent flyer miles to other airlines/FFPs.

Last edited by Xandrios; Sep 14, 2017 at 3:48 am
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Source?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:05 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Apologies; Source (Dutch only): https://insideflyer.nl/geen-miles-me...alle-airlines/

Perhaps @KLflyerRalph can elaborate where the info came from, if need be I believe he is an author for that website.

Last edited by Xandrios; Sep 14, 2017 at 7:13 am
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Air Berlin just released the news that they have ceased giving out frequent flyer miles to other airlines/FFPs.
That's old news, and has been on the oneworld site since September 1st. (I posted a screen-grab of that page over on the AB forum 2 days ago)

It's why BA, IB, AY and others - no doubt the programmes that are most exposed to claims for mileage by their members travelling on AB flights - rapidly stopped giving miles out. In the case of BA, they went from having announced a date of November 15 for the ending of mileage earning, to stopping earning with immediate effect after AB notified their partners of this news. They would have had to pay for these miles out of their own pocket, and not get anything from AB.

Others - such as Qantas and AA - still are granting miles. Qantas have not wavered from the November 15 deadline (at least not last time I checked), and AA have not made any mention of ending mileage granting (again, not the last time I checked, two days ago). This could all change at any time.

Nothing has changed today, and again, there is no reason to assume Alitalia or Etihad are going to stop giving miles for AB flights right now. (This "generosity" is probably linked to the common ownership that Etihad has of Millemiglia, Etihad Guest, and of course topbonus (which they have put in administration, though). They will eventually stop granting miles - if only because there won't be AB flights for much longer - the deadline for offers is tomorrow, and things are likely to move fast).
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Sep 14, 2017 at 7:30 am
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Great, I'm not bothered so much about the points, merely the qualifying flight accrual in order to reach 60 before year's end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.