Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

CDG-BOS Terminal and Global Blue Desk question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador

HI,

We are traveling on Monday from CDG to BOS via FCO.

Strange thing is the BOS flight is departing from T1 which is where the CDG flight is landing. (I rarely transit through FCO). First question is is this accurate? I thought T1 was Schengen.

The reason why I ask is that all of the Global Blue refund desks are in T3...

We have a 3 hour connection but what do you recommend we do?

Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:47 am

Hi, bostontraveler.

Your BOS flight will depart from concourse E, which is technically T3, however Alitalia has recently moved all check-in operations to T1 and thus refers to it as the terminal where all its flights depart from, same applies to Delta (previously T5, now T1 together with AZ/AF/KL). In a nutshell, no changes airside, just literally the physical location of the check-in desks.

That aside, here are your options:

1. You will be flying Air France from CDG and your aircraft will most certainly dock on a B/D gate, connected to the main terminal building. Follow the exit signs and, once you're out (from the terminal building i.e. you will have to exit the airport basically), turn right and walk to T3 (all in all, a maximum 15/20 minutes from the moment you're off the plane). Once you're all done at the Global Blue desk, you can clear security at T3, turn left and make your way to concourse E (security at T3 is, funnily enough, better positioned for the E gates).

2. If flying Alitalia from CDG, it is very likely that your plane will park at a remote stand and you will therefore be taken to the main terminal building (T1) by bus, which will add (roughly) an extra 15 minutes for reaching T3/Global Blue. Again, once inside the terminal (ground level), don't follow the Connections signs and instead go straight to the exit and make your way to T3 as per above.

Any doubts, please shout.

Cheers,

G
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Hi, bostontraveler.

Your BOS flight will depart from concourse E, which is technically T3, however Alitalia has recently moved all check-in operations to T1 and thus refers to it as the terminal where all its flights depart from, same applies to Delta (previously T5, now T1 together with AZ/AF/KL). In a nutshell, no changes airside, just literally the physical location of the check-in desks.

That aside, here are your options:

1. You will be flying Air France from CDG and your aircraft will most certainly dock on a B/D gate, connected to the main terminal building. Follow the exit signs and, once you're out (from the terminal building i.e. you will have to exit the airport basically), turn right and walk to T3 (all in all, a maximum 15/20 minutes from the moment you're off the plane). Once you're all done at the Global Blue desk, you can clear security at T3, turn left and make your way to concourse E (security at T3 is, funnily enough, better positioned for the E gates).

2. If flying Alitalia from CDG, it is very likely that your plane will park at a remote stand and you will therefore be taken to the main terminal building (T1) by bus, which will add (roughly) an extra 15 minutes for reaching T3/Global Blue. Again, once inside the terminal (ground level), don't follow the Connections signs and instead go straight to the exit and make your way to T3 as per above.

Any doubts, please shout.

Cheers,

G
Thank you so much! I am flying AZ from CDG-FCO so hopefully I won't have to leave the airside to get to Global Blue...!
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Whenever I've flown back to the US from Europe with an EU connection, I've always taken care of customs and tax forms when I checked in for my first flight.

I've not done CDG-FCO-US but I've flown FCO-CDG-JFK and NAP-CDG-JFK and had my forms processed in Italy.

From the Premier Tax Free website: https://premiertaxfree.com/how-shop-tax-free/france

If you are leaving from an airport in France, but will change flights in transit at another European Union airport and the goods you are exporting will be checked through to a destination outside the European Union, get your Tax Free form Customs approved at a PABLO kiosk in France.
CDG doesn't have Global Blue refund desks but you can get cash from Travelex: http://www.globalblue.com/tax-free-s...le-terminal-2e

I usually prefer my refunds in cash, but I've been on such long lines at the FCO Global Blue cash desk that more than once I gave up and switched to credit card. If I were coming from CDG and had that quick and easy PABLO kiosk as an option, it would be my preference.

Last edited by ShopAround; Jul 30, 2017 at 9:08 am
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Thank you so much! I am flying AZ from CDG-FCO so hopefully I won't have to leave the airside to get to Global Blue...!
According to their website, the Global Blue desk is Landside. They now charge a fee for cash refunds, which was not the case in the past IIRC.

From the Global Blue website:

Landside: Global Blue tax refund point

You can find this refund office in departures near check-in desks 330

Rome Fiumicino Airport Terminal 3, Leonardo da Vinci, 00050 Fiumicino

N.B: In case of CASH refund a cash handling fee is charged for each Tax Free Form. The handling fee for cash refunds depends on the refunded amount. Credit card refunds are not subject to this fee.

0-25,00 EUR - 3 EUR

25,01 – 80,00 EUR - 4 EUR

80,01-500,00 EUR – 5 EUR

500,01 – 2999,99 EUR - 1% of refund amount
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:11 am

I've literally just cleared security at T3 and gone past a Global Blue's desk (manned) just as I turned right on my way to the AZ lounge (D).

G
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:22 am

I've literally just cleared security at T3 and gone past a Global Blue's desk (manned) just as I turned right on my way to the AZ lounge (D).

G
Post-security? That's great news! ^ Global Blue needs to update their website, it doesn't indicate a refund desk airside.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by ShopAround
Post-security?
Indeed. Coming from the B/C gates area instead (e.g. after either clearing security at T1 or arriving from a Schengen flight at a B gate), the mobile desk (that's what it looked like) can be spotted when turning left going towards concourse E after the shopping area, left hand side when facing the information desk with the flight monitor in the middle.

G
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Post-security? That's great news! ^ Global Blue needs to update their website, it doesn't indicate a refund desk airside.
That was *EXACTLY* the problem and the reason for my question. But fortunately it was super easy and fast.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:10 am
Original Poster

G
Thanks again, it was a huge help!

Now FCO needs to update its maps to call the terminals correctly
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Whenever I've flown back to the US from Europe with an EU connection, I've always taken care of customs and tax forms when I checked in for my first flight.

I've not done CDG-FCO-US but I've flown FCO-CDG-JFK and NAP-CDG-JFK and had my forms processed in Italy.

From the Premier Tax Free website: https://premiertaxfree.com/how-shop-tax-free/france

CDG doesn't have Global Blue refund desks but you can get cash from Travelex: http://www.globalblue.com/tax-free-s...le-terminal-2e

I usually prefer my refunds in cash, but I've been on such long lines at the FCO Global Blue cash desk that more than once I gave up and switched to credit card. If I were coming from CDG and had that quick and easy PABLO kiosk as an option, it would be my preference.
I presume you ask for cash in USD? I live in Europe (but my sister does not) so I want cash in Euro which they will not give you at Travelex at CDG. BTW I would never take their cash since their exchange rate is terrible!

In fact they won't take your forms and force you to put them in the box which then takes up to 2 months for crediting. Which is why I wanted to take them directly to Global Blue in Rome. 5 days and the money is credited to her credit card.

Global Blue has become a total disaster in the past 5 years with their confiscatory policies and "enhancements" i.e. "Fast Refund", forcing you to accept cash in some countries in foreign currencies, hard-selling their stupid dynamic conversion to shops across Europe (now creeping into restaurants and hotels too!!!).. Really obnoxious and for those who are not financially educated they are ripped off over and over.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Thanks again, it was a huge help!

Now FCO needs to update its maps to call the terminals correctly
I'm glad I was able to help.

Concerning the terminal saga: indeed, very confusing, I wish they would make it clear (in whatever way) that terminals are only intended as check-in areas and not separate structures as such when it comes to connecting, for instance (imagine those passengers arriving at T1 from an Alitalia domestic service and connecting to a Delta flight departing from T5, thank goodness DL has now moved to T1 ). It is somewhat confusing (for first timers, occasional passengers and not only) to see a Lufthansa flight departing from T3 and boarding from gate C14 and an Alitalia flight leaving from T1 and boarding at gate C13, even though things have improved significantly since they've added the area (B/C/D/E) column on the flight information displays.

On the whole, FCO wouldn't be the same without a slight degree of mess!

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.