Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
According to Argentine media, Alitalia is considering adding new frequencies on the FCO-EZE route, going up to 10 weekly flights from current 7. Also, AZ will start bringing the 773 to EZE due to high demand on the route.

I said it before, I'll say it again -- nobody does bankruptcies better than the Italians.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, UAL, Hyatt, Amex Plat
Article isn't very specific, but one way to ready that is that they are reporting MOM growth, not YOY.

It seems very Italian to report the great success of more people traveling to Italy in June compared to May. ;-)

But maybe those are YOY, in which case, good news!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KParks
Article isn't very specific, but one way to ready that is that they are reporting MOM growth, not YOY.
It seems very Italian to report the great success of more people traveling to Italy in June compared to May. ;-)
I have never heard of an airline comparing passenger figures from one month with the numbers of the immediately preceding month - though maybe small/startup/stagnant airlines do this - it is always compared with the same month of the previous year. Traffic can be very seasonal and although a month isn't all that long of a period, a comparison between the same month of different years is a more accurate comparison, than comparing two consecutive months. [Even that month of year X comparison with month of year X+1 can be "problematic" when a movable feast, such as Easter, falls in that month in one of those years but not in the other - as often happens with March and April figures]

And that is exactly how Alitalia reports its figures, too.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:50 pm

Here we go again. The Italian transport minister said Alitalia will remain 51% Italian, and they are looking for someone to own 49% and run the airline.

Sometimes I wonder.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Who shall invest and run the airline? Too many burned lots of money and credability with this kind of model. By know, everyone should know that being responsible for running the business but having no power to enforce anything does not work - especially with AZ.

Does anyone know how much money is left from the last state loans and if AZ is actaully earning or losing money? EU will surely not accept another state bail-out and the next winter with lower passenger figures, yields and resulting losses are coming for sure ...
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
Who shall invest and run the airline? Too many burned lots of money and credability with this kind of model. By know, everyone should know that being responsible for running the business but having no power to enforce anything does not work - especially with AZ.

Does anyone know how much money is left from the last state loans and if AZ is actaully earning or losing money? EU will surely not accept another state bail-out and the next winter with lower passenger figures, yields and resulting losses are coming for sure ...
According to the man in charge, the loan is nearly intact and the latest ‘blurry’ (in the sense that there’s not really a great deal of detail) figures suggest that they are losing but considerably less than in recent past. True also that the man in charge is urging the government to make decisions and quick. Again, it’s all a bit ‘blurry’ but then, when you think that Italian politics are comfortably in the mix, this doesn’t come as a surprise, does it.

G
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:37 am

I believe the deadline to sell the company (or indeed to nationalise it) is end of October, with December set as repayment date for the bridge loan.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malmostoso
I believe the deadline to sell the company (or indeed to nationalise it) is end of October, with December set as repayment date for the bridge loan.
Both the "deadline" for offers and the "deadline" for deciding, as well as the ending date of the briding loan, have already been extended - in some cases, more than once.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just as an FYI, it appears from filings that Delta have made to the DOT that Alitalia will not be part of the new single Transatlantic Joint Venture that DL is trying to build from its existing Skyteam and Virgin Atlantic JVs

Looks like Alitalia will be exiting the TATL JV

So at last Alitalia would be free to dictate their own transatlantic flights - which is something that they had no power to do while chained to DL and AFKL. And which Etihad probably regretted.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
I see that this thread has been quiet for almost 3 months. Is there any news on Alitalia's financial position?
Has anyone come to the rescue?

How "safe would it be do book a flight about 6-12 months out
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Some good news and some not so, about AZ

Numbers seem going slightly better:

https://www.reuters.com/article/alit...-idUSL8N1WC4WI

While for a definitive solution, still have a long way to go:

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/tra...in-rescue-plan
https://www.reuters.com/article/ital...-idUSR1N1VZ01L

With the skills that actual new "Government of Change" is showing, not sure any good solution can be seen soon
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
I think only the Italians can really understand a company as Alitalia ...

after that, I hope Alitalia will be nationalized. I think it’s the only way, not only to survive, but also to have a chance to be a profitable and usable company.

Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by badatz
I see that this thread has been quiet for almost 3 months. Is there any news on Alitalia's financial position?
Has anyone come to the rescue?

How "safe would it be do book a flight about 6-12 months out
it’s safe. Don’t worry about it.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:01 am

According to this article in Italian (use incognito mode to circumvent paywall), the prime minister suggests that AZ and the railways should offer a combined ticket so that tourists would be able to travel more easily in Italy.

While the idea is not stupid, it seems to point to the re-nationalisation of AZ.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Dav77
I think only the Italians can really understand a company as Alitalia ...
after that, I hope Alitalia will be nationalized. I think it’s the only way, not only to survive, but also to have a chance to be a profitable and usable company.
I would like AZ as far as possible from Italian government (and therefore people's tax money), but that's never gonna happen, no matter what party is at the helm.

Originally Posted by malmostoso
According to this article in Italian (use incognito mode to circumvent paywall), the prime minister suggests that AZ and the railways should offer a combined ticket so that tourists would be able to travel more easily in Italy.
While the idea is not stupid, it seems to point to the re-nationalisation of AZ.
Trenitalia should use their money to fix that mess they call trains, not as an excuse to keep AZ as it is. But it's all politics, as usual.

Anyone interested in tickets should have no worry. Unless a "miracle" happens AZ will keep going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.