Search

Short-Haul Business Service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Monarch Vantage Club Gold
Short-Haul Business Service

Hi guys,

I have a few questions about the service they may offer and I was guessing this would be the place to ask this is full of people in the know, and im sure a good few of you have experienced it for yourself. The frustrating thing about AZ is, unlike BA where there is a flurry of info available online, there is absolutely nothing to be found on AZ biz online.

Firstly, which lounge would you recommend I go in at LHR, Etihad, or the Skyteam lounge?
Secondly, what will the meal services be like, I am flying out on a 7am departure, and flying back on a 9pm departure.
Finally, if any of you have experienced AZ Business recently, how would you compare them to the likes of BA CE and AF Business??

Thanks!

Last edited by sportland94; Aug 15, 2016 at 10:43 am
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by sportland94
Hi guys,

I have a few questions about the service they may offer and I was guessing this would be the place to ask this is full of people in the know, and im sure a good few of you have experienced it for yourself. The frustrating thing about AZ is, unlike BA where there is a flurry of info available online, there is absolutely nothing to be found on AZ biz online.
Are you sure?
https://www.alitalia.com/en_us/fly-a...dium-haul.html

Firstly, which lounge would you recommend I go in at LHR, Etihad, or the Skyteam lounge?
Both lounges were OK, the EY Lounge maybe a little better, but it can be crowded. With a 7am departure it should be no problem.

Secondly, what will the meal services be like, I am flying out on a 7am departure, and flying back on a 9pm departure.
Check the above link. Outbound probably a hot breakfast and in the evening a dinner with meat or pasta (if flown by Airbus / not EMB Cityline). Pictures below dinner and breakfast FCO-CAI-FCO.

Finally, if any of you have experienced AZ Business recently, how would you compare them to the likes of BA CE and AF Business??
I perfer AZ over BA, but the taste of each person is different! Seat pitch is also better on AZ than BA.
Attached Images   
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So just a quick, one-tray service FCO-CAI?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So just a quick, one-tray service FCO-CAI?
Indeed. Bear in mind that the quality of the standard meals is not brilliant (and it had improved significantly under EY, with a wider choice amongst other things), I would therefore request a special meal beforehand (I normally go for the seafood meal and quite happy with it).

G
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:50 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
That's a great tip (And I now remember that you suggested that to me earlier too).

Should one call to select a special meal, or can it be done online? I did not find any reference to the meal selection at the "My flights" section of the website.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
That's a great tip (And I now remember that you suggested that to me earlier too).

Should one call to select a special meal, or can it be done online? I did not find any reference to the meal selection at the "My flights" section of the website.
Hi, Xandrios.

I would normally do this during the booking process however I recently got a reservation through from our corporate travel agent and had to call to make sure that it was added as I was also unable to amend the booking on-line - whether that was because of the corporate travel agent je ne sais pas (FYI - there won't be any mention on the boarding pass, though). So far, I've only tried the seafood but the other day one of the flight assistants suggested I'd try the Asian meal (I will do so this coming Wednesday).

Again, nothing really to get excited about but definitely better than the 6000 calories' lasagne/tortelloni. Also, make sure to request a nice shot of limoncello after your cup of coffee

G
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:29 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Hi, Xandrios.

I would normally do this during the booking process however I recently got a reservation through from our corporate travel agent and had to call to make sure that it was added as I was also unable to amend the booking on-line - whether that was because of the corporate travel agent je ne sais pas (FYI - there won't be any mention on the boarding pass, though). So far, I've only tried the seafood but the other day one of the flight assistants suggested I'd try the Asian meal (I will do so this coming Wednesday).

Again, nothing really to get excited about but definitely better than the 6000 calories' lasagne/tortelloni. Also, make sure to request a nice shot of limoncello after your cup of coffee

G
Thanks G!

I'll be at the airport tomorrow so ill try the ticket desk there - perhaps they will be able to add it to my booking. Please do let us know how the Asian option works out for you, I'd be very curious to try that too

I'm familiar with the limoncello as they brought out a cart with spirits (or was it just the limoncello?) on some of my earlier flights with them. Not my favorite drink, but still very nice after a heavy meal

Now that we are talking about it I looked up some pics from the regular meals (I have the strange habit of taking pictures of most of the airline meals I encounter)... which may also be of use to the OP of this thread.

Lunch
http://upload.xandrios.net/153901897...CCFE29752.jpeg

Digestive
http://upload.xandrios.net/153901904...F5FD94C83.jpeg

Breakfast
http://upload.xandrios.net/153901912...232C59313.jpeg

Last edited by Xandrios; Oct 8, 2018 at 11:35 am
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:13 pm

Thanks for posting the pictures, Xandrios — I guess as used as you are to those delightful-looking meals on Aegean, I’m not sure how you handled that cheese toast (or whatever that was)! Thanks again for the pictures which I’m sure others will find particularly helpful.

Seafood special meal as per below (taken on the evening FCO service from LHR) —

Without a doubt not great in terms of presentation, but very tasty indeed and it went down even better thanks to the white wine

G
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:23 pm

Here’s another one (still seafood with slightly different taste, though, possibly because of that ‘splash’ of tomato sauce and the veggies), this was taken a few days ago on the Warsaw-Rome’s lunchtime service —

Again, quite tasty and the bread was nice as well.

G
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Here’s another one (still seafood with slightly different taste, though, possibly because of that ‘splash’ of tomato sauce and the veggies), this was taken a few days ago on the Warsaw-Rome’s lunchtime service —

Again, quite tasty and the bread was nice as well.

G
Main dish looks fine and salad OK but why is it that special meal desserts on most airlines are almost invariably dreadfully boring (typically a few pieces of fruit with little taste to them as some kind of mousse, jelly or similar concoction that you have never come across since you moved form eating liquids to solids as a child?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Main dish looks fine and salad OK but why is it that special meal desserts on most airlines are almost invariably dreadfully boring (typically a few pieces of fruit with little taste to them as some kind of mousse, jelly or similar concoction that you have never come across since you moved form eating liquids to solids as a child?
Ha, you made me chuckle there, Nick It seems that the somewhat distorted assumption [from an airline's perspective] is that, by requesting a special meal (fish, in this particular case, hence not suggesting any particular intolerance or indeed weight watching in the grand scheme of things), you are automatically declining a 'proper' pudding and therefore left, as it is the case with Alitalia, with 6 tiny pieces of fruit On a slightly different note, Alitalia is currently switching to Gate Gourmet as its main catering provider - I guess we shall wait and see whether anything changes on the above front (even though I suspect they have far bigger issues to handle as we speak)

G
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Very interesting thread, good time to revive it, and thanks to Xandrios for the pictures above. Do they happen to serve grappa on board? I find all other digestives too sweet for my taste. Great tip from AlicorporateUK about the seafood meal. Does ever contain more exotic components of seafood, or just the fish as shown in your pictures? I ask, because I have a companion who likes fish very much, but is not so crazy about the other wriggly things that seafood can contain.

And now a question that is a little bit OT, but related all the same. What is the service like in Economy on much longer European AZ sectors? I am looking at TFN-FCO (Tenerife) which clocks 4h05, and FCO-SVO (which has a similar flight time). These flights would be taken one after the other, which could be quite challenging as it would be the equivalent to a flight to Chicago.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:14 pm

Concerto,

The seafood meal has no other ‘exotic components’, just what you see in the above picture(s).

That said, I’ve never flown Economy on Alitalia services above 3 hours but you should get a tray (depending on the time of the day, this should consist in either omelette/pasta/salad, some bread and a slice of cake).

Lastly, they do indeed serve grappa on-board (nasty stuff but, as ever, each to their own! ).

G
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Oh I am quite into tippling grappa, don't like whisky so much probably because I did stupid things with it when I was younger. Similarly with sweet liquors. So you think Alitalia economy gets some sort of meal tray on longer flights? Would be good, because 4 hours plus is pushing it for grissini Torinese! I thought that all European services, regardless of length, got a reduced service. Let's face it, none of the other airlines particularly care about flight duration. Except perhaps Austrian.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:07 am

Do not expect much from the tray but -yes- medium haul flights of 3-plus hours have a different catering service (though what's currently on offer je ne sais pas).

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.