Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AVOD box impeding legroom in Classica Plus?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2012, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
AVOD box impeding legroom in Classica Plus?

According to this thread in the trip report forum

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...k-mxp-jfk.html

In Classica Plus, due to the placement of the AVOD box, the window seat has better legroom than the aisle seat in the side 2 across sections. Can anyone comment on the center 3 across section? Does an AVOD box impede legroom there? If so, is one aisle better than the other?

I'm taking my first Alitalia flight (JFK-MXP) next week.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:17 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

I am 99% sure that you will most probably find those AVOD box also for the aisle middle seats.
I have not flown Classica Plus, but on the 777, in coach, I have noticed these boxes every alternate seats, window, aisle of the middle 4 seats and I believe the 3rd seat of the middle row seats.

Cheers!

ps: I think these large IFE boxes are a passdown when these planes used to have IFE. Only upgrade are the seats, but seems they did not update the IFE system completely because I know those newer system IFE boxes are much smaller.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
I was in the center right aisle seat (the one reclining in the photo). The AVOD box was about one third of the way from left to right of the footspace. In other words, I could either put my feet in the left one third, or in the right two thirds, or one foot on either side of the box. This did bother me initially, but I got used to it and didn't notice it after a while.

I didn't see anything obvious as far as the center left aisle seat being better in this regard, but I didn't look super closely.

I have no idea if I had a new or old box.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by duluthDL
I was in the center right aisle seat (the one reclining in the photo). The AVOD box was about one third of the way from left to right of the footspace. In other words, I could either put my feet in the left one third, or in the right two thirds, or one foot on either side of the box. This did bother me initially, but I got used to it and didn't notice it after a while.

I didn't see anything obvious as far as the center left aisle seat being better in this regard, but I didn't look super closely.

I have no idea if I had a new or old box.
Thanks for the clarification. I somehow misread your report and thought you were in one of the side aisle seats. Did you happen to notice if the box was similarly positioned on the side aisles? Was the window seat better?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Let's take seats A (window) and B (aisle). For A, the box is all the way to the left, next to the fuselage. For B, the box is all the way to the right, next to the aisle. So the box does not intrude in the middle of your footspace; it just takes up a little space on the edge of your footspace.

I don't know if I was just lucky or if the load factor in Classica Plus is usually low, but having an empty seat next to you is a huge plus; this gives you a lot more space for the amenity kit, headphones, magazines, pillow, etc. As I mentioned, everybody had an empty seat next to them, except for one or two couples seated together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.