Wiki Posts
Search

Seating advice for Y on new A330?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2012, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, AA PM

I used some of my otherwise almost useless Delta SkyMiles to score a couple of friends two AZ partner awards JFK-MXP-FCO in Y. Does anyone have seating advice in Y for the A330? I can't find an updated seatmap with reviews anywhere. Specifically... one friend is 6'4", so leg room is an issue. Many years ago we flew all over Asia together (also in Y - I hadn't discovered FT yet!), and during the transpac segments he looked as miserable as I've ever seen him - so I'd like to get him the best possible seat. TIA!
Old May 26, 2012, 1:09 am

By taking a look at the following seatmap:
http://corporate.alitalia.it/it/group/fleet/a330az.htm

and the seats which are reservable while booking, I'd say your best bet would be 11A. There's also "comfort seating" where blocked seats with extra legroom are now available for an extra price (€50 I believe). I'm not sure how that works or if it's worth it etc.
Old May 26, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ

Have you not got enough miles for Y+ or J? Really is worth it... Massive difference
Y is always Y
Old May 26, 2012, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by terminalfive
Have you not got enough miles for Y+ or J? Really is worth it... Massive difference
Y is always Y
Sadly no availability in J, and for whatever silly Skyteam reason, you can't book any Y+ product on a Delta partner award (ridiculous!).

As far as the seatmap goes, I agree that 11 AC and JL look great, but as you might expect, they're blocked. So I was really looking for good intel on what regular Y seats on the new A330 are desirable. For example, since it looks ike an exit row, do 23 AC and JL recline? If not, 24 AC and JL could be pretty sweet. But then again sometimes the row behind an exit row has reduced pitch so... you get the idea. Honestly I'm a bit confused as to why Seatguru doesn't have this seat plan at all. And thanks again for the replies!
Old May 26, 2012, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by snaporaz
For example, since it looks ike an exit row, do 23 AC and JL recline? If not, 24 AC and JL could be pretty sweet.
Of course they will recline. It is seats in front of exit rows that do not recline (and only typically on short/medium haul as it would make using the exits in case of emergency too hard), not the exit row seats themselves. Basically, apart from the emergency exits and bulkheads, all the seats are the same pitch wise. If your friend is tall, your best best would be to put him in an aisle seat so that he can stretch into the aisle if wished. I think you should also be able to select the emergency exit at check in for free if you are elite plus (I think) and for a fee otherwise as mentioned by bungler. If it is any comfort, the A330 will be far more pleasant to fly in Y than the new 772 now that they have made it 10 across (assuming the new experience is comparable to the AF-KL one with 10 across - yikes!!)
Old May 26, 2012, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Of course they will recline. It is seats in front of exit rows that do not recline (and only typically on short/medium haul as it would make using the exits in case of emergency too hard), not the exit row seats themselves.
And of course I know that, but there are also aircraft in which two consecutive rows of seats are designated as exits, and for the obvious reason you mention, only the second one reclines. Not having flown the A330, and without a detailed Seatguru review, I thought it might be a remote possibility. But a closer look at the AZ seatmap makes it pretty clear that the exits are aligned with the bulkhead.
Anyway, from everything I've read the new A330 is a huge improvement on the 777 and old A330s so really I think they'll be fine with whatever and just need to hope for no equipment swaps. Thanks all!
Old May 26, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Anyway, from everything I've read the new A330 is a huge improvement on the 777 and old A330s so really I think they'll be fine with whatever and just need to hope for no equipment swaps. Thanks all!
It is indeed - to be fair, really one of the nicer experiences in Y (and the 2x4x2 layour in Y is also one of the most pleasant ones on long haul aircrafts!) so you're right I think they will be fine. Still, no harm in them trying to grab an exit row or bulkhead at OLCI. In any event, even if you had them flying some Ryanair sardine can, they should be pretty grateful to have a friend using is hard earned miles to get them a nice transatlantic ticket! ^
Old May 29, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: DL PM | Marriott Gold | Alaska Gold
I used some of my otherwise almost useless Delta SkyMiles to score a couple of friends two AZ partner awards JFK-MXP-FCO in Y. Does anyone have seating advice in Y for the A330? I can't find an updated seatmap with reviews anywhere. Specifically... one friend is 6'4", so leg room is an issue. Many years ago we flew all over Asia together (also in Y - I hadn't discovered FT yet!), and during the transpac segments he looked as miserable as I've ever seen him - so I'd like to get him the best possible seat. TIA!
How were you able to book an award ticket on AZ using Sky Pesos? I tried to do this and I was told that I couldn't...
Old May 29, 2012, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by JGfromOC
How were you able to book an award ticket on AZ using Sky Pesos? I tried to do this and I was told that I couldn't...
Either thru Delta website or by calling. It's not that hard
Use AirFrance.us website to search for availability.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by BigRedBears
Either thru Delta website or by calling. It's not that hard
Use AirFrance.us website to search for availability.
Seriously? According to DL CS agents (at least when I was booking my trip), you can't use Skymiles to book award flights on AZ or pay for a Y seat then upgrade to J.

Which BTW, why would I use AF's site to check award availability on an AZ flight to redeem DL Skymiles - am I missing something?

I can buy an AZ ticket via DL's website, but they don't offer award tickets on AZ...you sure you have this info right? AZ isn't like AF or other other Sky Team partners when it comes to award miles.
Old May 30, 2012, 1:17 am

Seriously? According to DL CS agents (at least when I was booking my trip), you can't use Skymiles to book award flights on AZ or pay for a Y seat then upgrade to J.

Which BTW, why would I use AF's site to check award availability on an AZ flight to redeem DL Skymiles - am I missing something?

I can buy an AZ ticket via DL's website, but they don't offer award tickets on AZ...you sure you have this info right? AZ isn't like AF or other other Sky Team partners when it comes to award miles.
BigRedBears has got the info entirely right. Either you misunderstood and they meant that it wasn't possible on your dates or your spoke to someone grossly incompetent. It is possible to book awards on any Skyteam airline using miles from any skyteam programmes, including DL SM. There are exceptions when it comes to specific travel classes (e.g. you cannot book AF First Class) but there are no exceptions in terms of airline as a whole. Similarly, upgrading from eligible classes is also allowed on all Skyteam airlines although it is only from the most expensive full fare classes.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:18 am

BigRedBears has got the info entirely right. Either you misunderstood and they meant that it wasn't possible on your dates or your spoke to someone grossly incompetent. It is possible to book awards on any Skyteam airline using miles from any skyteam programmes, including DL SM. There are exceptions when it comes to specific travel classes (e.g. you cannot book AF First Class) but there are no exceptions in terms of airline as a whole. Similarly, upgrading from eligible classes is also allowed on all Skyteam airlines although it is only from the most expensive full fare classes.
Just spoke to DL yesterday - you all are half right - when I booked my AZ ticket through DL 6 months ago I was told I couldn't use my miles on AZ (that some agreement was pending), but now I am told I in fact can use my miles to book an award ticket on AZ or any other SkyTeam partner.

However, you can only use SM to upgrade on AF and KLM http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...x.jsp#upgrades

Currently those are the only Skyteam partners that allow SM to be used for upgrades.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:51 pm

Just spoke to DL yesterday - you all are half right - when I booked my AZ ticket through DL 6 months ago I was told I couldn't use my miles on AZ (that some agreement was pending), but now I am told I in fact can use my miles to book an award ticket on AZ or any other SkyTeam partner.

However, you can only use SM to upgrade on AF and KLM http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...x.jsp#upgrades

Currently those are the only Skyteam partners that allow SM to be used for upgrades.
Sorry but this is incorrect. You can upgrade with Skymiles on the following airlines: Aeroflot, Aeroméxico, Air France, China Airlines, China Southern, Czech Airlines, Delta Air Lines, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines and Korean Air. This is a Skyteam benefit and valid for all Skyteam FFPs (including DL SM) from full fare Y. This has been the case since November 2008.
http://www.skyteam.com/en/Why-SkyTea...-Redeem-Miles/ and on the page you cite, you will indeed note the phrasing: "SkyMiles members can also use miles to upgrade to Business class when flying on a full fare economy class (Y) ticket on many of our SkyTeam member airlines. In addition, as a result of our enhanced relationship with KLM and Air France, SkyTeam mileage upgrades can now be used on the following KLM and Air France booking classes." (emphasis mine)

What you are referring to as being limited to AF and KL as part of the joint venture is the extension of this benefit to some additional classes of travel, as well, incidentally, as the use of SWUs which is completely different. With AZ having now joined the JV it is also likely that more AZ classes will also be eligible for upgrade.

With regards to the ability to book award tickets on AZ using SMs, this has also been the case for several years, it was not pending six months ago. Again, I'm sorry that the agent you spoke to misinformed you when you contacted them at the time but this was, indeed, misinformation even then.

By the way, if you have questions on using Skymiles for awards and/or upgrade awards on partners, you are much better looking/asking on the DL forum where it has been discussed ad nauseam, for instance on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...m-partner.html I hate to say that the information you will find on the DL forum is often more accurate than what you will hear from many DL agents but - well, I've said it anyway!

Last edited by orbitmic; May 30, 2012 at 4:08 pm
Old May 31, 2012, 11:41 am

Sorry but this is incorrect. You can upgrade with Skymiles on the following airlines: Aeroflot, Aeroméxico, Air France, China Airlines, China Southern, Czech Airlines, Delta Air Lines, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines and Korean Air. This is a Skyteam benefit and valid for all Skyteam FFPs (including DL SM) from full fare Y. This has been the case since November 2008.
http://www.skyteam.com/en/Why-SkyTea...-Redeem-Miles/ and on the page you cite, you will indeed note the phrasing: "SkyMiles members can also use miles to upgrade to Business class when flying on a full fare economy class (Y) ticket on many of our SkyTeam member airlines. In addition, as a result of our enhanced relationship with KLM and Air France, SkyTeam mileage upgrades can now be used on the following KLM and Air France booking classes." (emphasis mine)

What you are referring to as being limited to AF and KL as part of the joint venture is the extension of this benefit to some additional classes of travel, as well, incidentally, as the use of SWUs which is completely different. With AZ having now joined the JV it is also likely that more AZ classes will also be eligible for upgrade.

With regards to the ability to book award tickets on AZ using SMs, this has also been the case for several years, it was not pending six months ago. Again, I'm sorry that the agent you spoke to misinformed you when you contacted them at the time but this was, indeed, misinformation even then.

By the way, if you have questions on using Skymiles for awards and/or upgrade awards on partners, you are much better looking/asking on the DL forum where it has been discussed ad nauseam, for instance on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...m-partner.html I hate to say that the information you will find on the DL forum is often more accurate than what you will hear from many DL agents but - well, I've said it anyway!
Ah, great find! Thanks for the heads-up!
Old May 31, 2012, 11:42 am

Now the downside is AZ isn't part of this Skyteam agreement - so no upgrades for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.