Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AZ Classica Plus Review (A330)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2011, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up AZ Classica Plus Review (A330)

I am a first timer on Alitalia AND a first timer to Italy so I joined this site to ask some questions, and many of you were very helpful (THANK YOU!) I had some fears about lost luggage, rejected (overweight) carry ons, timliness and generally poor service. Here is how it went for me:

Direct from JFK to Milan on a Saturday evening. I learned the HARD way to not book separate tickets, as I did on Delta from Pittsburgh to JFK and then a separate booking on Alitalia from JFK to Italy. When the Delta flight out of PIT was delayed due to mechanical issues, we were forced to buy new tickets on JetBlue or miss the AZ flight out of JFK. Because they weren't booked as one reservation with a connection, Delta wasn't going to protect us and Alitalia was going to say, "too bad, so sad" That added $430 to our vacation. I just got back from Italy and don't have the energy to fight it out with Delta just yet. Maybe tomorrow.

JFK is a certifiable ZOO and you really must allow plenty of time to get to the correct terminal, get your boarding pass and go through security.

Classica Plus and Magnifica enjoyed priority boarding. Nice. We had about 35 people and the other line had about 200 people in it. The seats were generous in width and the leg room, even when the seat in front was fully reclined, allowed you to cross your legs and otherwise be able to move and be comfortable. The seats have adjustable foot rests with a bar so someone petite can prop up their feet and be comfortable and relieve the pressure on the back of your legs. The seats recline to about 120 degrees with individual flex reading lamps that are attached alongside the headrest. There is an entertainment center with movies, video games and music. They provide noise reducing headphones, which also made it easier to sleep, and the comfort package with the usual goodies. You are greeted with a cocktail upon boarding. They served a full meal about an hour or so after departure followed by another drink service and then disappeared until about 1-1/2 hours before landing. They served a small snack (breakfast or a sandwich) and another drink service. The only downside was that you had to use the toilet in coach. And if you needed anything and wanted to see a flight attendant, you had to walk to the back of the plane. The Magnifica flight attendants treated you like you had leprosy. I did not have any luggage issues. My bag was exactly 8 kg but they didn't weigh it. I saw people who had suitcases so big that they could have been transporting a Shetland pony yet carried their bags on board. I decided to check my bag on the way home out of FCO and it made it to JFK - intact.

Overall, I paid double the price for Classica Plus but in my opinion, it was worth it. I was able to sleep on the way over and had a full, productive day when I landed. I felt sorry for the folks in economy. When I walked back to the lavatory in coach and saw so many unhappy faces, I felt better that I was $800 poorer for the upgrade, but happier.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:57 pm

Yes, very rare for AZ to check hand luggage, especially on long haul.

Glad you had a good flight.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 9:48 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Which plane type was used? Is this the new A330 or something else?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Which plane type was used? Is this the new A330 or something else?
I think Classica Plus is only installed on the new A330s, but I might well be wrong as I haven't flown AZ for ages now.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Correct, only on new A330s.

Classica Plus will be available on 777s step by step.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by MSALZ
Overall, I paid double the price for Classica Plus but in my opinion, it was worth it. I was able to sleep on the way over and had a full, productive day when I landed. I felt sorry for the folks in economy. When I walked back to the lavatory in coach and saw so many unhappy faces, I felt better that I was $800 poorer for the upgrade, but happier.
I agree but I have to say that I don't find the seat very confortable

Space is good - don't like the seat

AVOD system excellent, would be nice if classica + had their own lavatories (impossible on a A330..)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.