Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

proper tips for fishing charter crew?????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;

I will do 2 separate full day fishing trips later in the month, and need guidance as to proper gratuities for the boat's crew.

What chould I consider in tipping? Does the size of my catch matter? Price of the charter?? other considerations. I really despise the entire culture of tipping, but at least with restaurants, the guidance is pretty universal and easy to apply. In this case, I just don't know.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jfhscott
I will do 2 separate full day fishing trips later in the month, and need guidance as to proper gratuities for the boat's crew.

What chould I consider in tipping? Does the size of my catch matter? Price of the charter?? other considerations. I really despise the entire culture of tipping, but at least with restaurants, the guidance is pretty universal and easy to apply. In this case, I just don't know.
We were advised $20 per person, which was well received.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:20 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Here is an excellent thread from Cruise Critic on tipping.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...309&highlight=

I especially like post #2 which states:

"Tipping is really very simple.

"You tip people who have provided specific personal service that enhanced your enjoyment of your vacation, proportionately to the personal service and how much it helped you.

"A bus driver who herds you and 40 other people through a half day tour gets a couple of bucks. A trail guide who takes you and 8 other people on a full day ride gets substantially more. A captain who gives you and two other guys a wonderful day fishing and brings you home grinning with a bountiful catch ... wow, what is that memory worth?

"Tipping is a wonderful thing when done right and helps us all to have good experiences. If good guides are rewarded and poor ones stiffed, the poor ones soon leave and we have nothing but good guides. However, if people get the idea that a specific amount or percentage MUST be given to every guide, no matter, then tipping loses its purpose and just becomes another expense. Let the service be your criteria, not some arbitrary percent."

Generally I tip $10-$20/person for most excursions but I tipped more for a dogsled excursion in Alaska last winter.

John
Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
We tipped our fishing guide $15/person (total $60) for the 6 hour trip. It was only us 4 on the boat and we each caught a fish. For the ice hike guide, we gave $10/person for a 5 hour trip.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 5:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I was under the impression that the deckhands made less money and did more work. That is who I have tipped in the past ($20). I have been on several charters I can't say I have tipped the captain because they spent most of the time piloting the boat. On the other hand, the deckhand was busy setting bait and helping haul in fish. Just my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.