Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Seven Glaciers Restaurant, Girdwood: any reports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 12:44 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Has anyone eaten at the Seven Glaciers Restaurant? It was highly rated in Forbes. The view must be fantastic. But on reading TripAdvisor, reviews were very mixed as to the service. The place is very pricey, and I am wondering if the experience is worth the price.

OpenTable overview

2009 dinner menu

How long a drive is the restaurant (or the tramway station) from Anchorage?
Old May 15, 2009, 1:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Has anyone eaten at the Seven Glaciers Restaurant? It was highly rated in Forbes. The view must be fantastic. But on reading TripAdvisor, reviews were very mixed as to the service. The place is very pricey, and I am wondering if the experience is worth the price.

OpenTable overview

2009 dinner menu

How long a drive is the restaurant (or the tramway station) from Anchorage?
It takes about 45 minutes of a drive from Anchorage and about 10 more minutes to the Resort... So about an hour with paking & depending on traffic.

Ihowever have not been up there - but the views from halfway up the mountain are great - so should be terrific from the top..

Now my personal favorite for Girdwood is the Double Musky.. Awesome Cajun cuisine (with a very Alaskan flair)... Let us know if u decide to visit it - and you'll have a decent group of ANC FT'ers join you if you want (assuming our schedules meshed...)
Old May 15, 2009, 1:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Agreed with beckoa, if you want to dine in Girdwood then don't miss the Musky. That place is an Alaskan culinary legend.
Old May 15, 2009, 9:08 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Has anyone eaten at the Seven Glaciers Restaurant? It was highly rated in Forbes. The view must be fantastic. But on reading TripAdvisor, reviews were very mixed as to the service.
I never rely on TA reviews for anything anymore unless the reviewer has more than just a couple of posts. So many of the TA hotel reviews are planted. TA won't admit it but it is so obvious. Not sure about the restaurant reviews but I can imagine it would be similar.
Old May 15, 2009, 9:15 am
Original Poster

I take it that this is the Musky. And it's good? The menu on the website sounds pretty much like meats we can throw on the bbq at home. What makes it so interesting?
Old May 15, 2009, 4:37 pm

look into Jack Sprat

Seven Glaciers Restaurant is good, but you may leave hungry.. The view is awesome, we usually tell our visitors to take the ride up and have a drink in the bar. There may be a slight dress code at Seven Glaciers...
Double Musky is good, I have never eaten there in the summer so I do not know how long you will have to wait to be seated. We eat there once or twice a year.
Chair 5 is good, it is a pizza place.
The Bake shop, nice lunch stop for soup.

We usually eat at Jack Sprat, we try to eat there at least once a month. We love the fresh rolls, the salad with bacon, the soups are good, the yam fries, the pasta dishes... http://www.jacksprat.net/

They all have a web-page so you can look them up and see what fits your liking.
Old May 15, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I take it that this is the Musky. And it's good? The menu on the website sounds pretty much like meats we can throw on the bbq at home. What makes it so interesting?
Well, don't know if you happened to read the front page of their website, but...

Numerous additions followed thereafter and the restaurant went on to be described by Esquire Magazine as the "last great American roadhouse." It has also been reviewed favorably on two occasions by Bon Appetit and yearly by Fodors Travel Guide. Additional favorable reviews have been made by Honolulu Magazine, the Chicago Tribune, San Francisco Chronicle, New Orleans Times Picyune, New York Times and Anchorage Daily News plus a variety of other newspapers and magazines published around the U.S. We were even featured on CNN World-Wide in 1986. Most recently, we were featured nationwide on Food Network's "Best Of" series with Jill Cordes in November and December of 2000. Also the Food Networks "Best Of" program not only had a page for us in their book, they named us one of their ten favorite restaurants in America. We were just selected as Alaskans' favorite restaurant by two to one over the nearest vote getter in the Anchorage Daily News.
And it's not just the menu and food that make it special. It's the atmosphere. Let me put it to you this way: if you want a restaurant you can find in California, go to Seven Glaciers. If you want to eat where the Alaskans eat (and with good reason), go to the Musky. And you never know, you might even meet Uncle Ted there.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Another vote for the Double Musky.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

We canceled our Seven Glaciers reservation. Not only did we get pushback on this thread, we got it from Alaskans who were waiting with us to board our flight to Anchorage. One affirmed that you spend a lot of money and walk away hungry.

We enjoyed Double Musky. as much for the glorious beauty of the drive there as for the food. I had prime rib, and it was as good as any I've had anywhere. Sublime. Salad was very 60s midwest (iceberg lettuce), but deserts were excellent. We showed up at 5pm on Saturday; they opened at 4:30pm on the weekend. We got the second to last open table. And the waitress insisted that this wasn't busy. Busy would be by mid June.

Double Musky was a great stop for dinner between Anchorage and Seward.

Originally Posted by asmdg2
The Bake shop, nice lunch stop for soup. .
And an awesome stop for snickerdoodle cookies.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by asmdg2
We usually eat at Jack Sprat, we try to eat there at least once a month. We love the fresh rolls, the salad with bacon, the soups are good, the yam fries, the pasta dishes... http://www.jacksprat.net/

They all have a web-page so you can look them up and see what fits your liking.
Haven't eaten in any of the other Girdwood spots mentioned, but I had a fantastic lunch at Jack Sprat. Yam fries were great, atmosphere very pleasant on the patio, good service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.