Things to do in Anchorage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things to do in Anchorage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by fti
Other than that, I think good repellent with DEET will work fine. I use the much stronger DEET (close to 100%) when at Wonder Lake.
I use the 99.9% stuff just to mow my lawn!

In cities, don't bother with the head nets. You probably won't even need repellent in the urban areas themselves (downtown Anchorage, central Fairbanks, walking from your car in the parking lot to the Alaska Native Heritage Center, etc.). Wherever there's vegetation, though--from Earthquake Park in Anchorage to the campground just east of Tok--you'll need the strong repellent. And in the extreme backwoods, the headnets might come in handy.

I only use repellent when mowing my lawn (especially in the early evening--people here mow lawns at 8-9pm!) or when out hiking. For every other day of the year (working at my office, shopping, whatever), I never even notice the mosquitoes. I did, however, when working nights on the Alaska Railroad in the Fairbanks rail yard!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.