Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ideas for 2-3 days between Whittier and fairbanks that's not Denali

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2009, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Ideas for 2-3 days between Whittier and fairbanks that's not Denali

Helping my parents plan a post cruise. I'm thinking they will end in Whittier and fly from fairbanks. I am planning on a 3 day 2 night rail tour staying in princess Denali for two nights. They can probably afford two or three more days.

Any ideas for what might be good for a group of four in their early 60's to do. They already have been to Talkeetna so probably not that. So anything near whittier or seward, or out of anchorage or even out of fairbanks would work.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:40 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Be sure that with the rail tour at Denali that they at least have the Tundra Wilderness Tour (TWT) and not the Natural History Tour. IMHO the shuttle buses are even a better value, both from price and sightseeing possibilities. A shuttle bus to Eielson goes 13 miles further than the TWT and that additional 13 miles is a prime bear habitat.

Will they have a car? I assume not so it means they are limited in transportation options. Without a car I would recommend Seward. They can take the train there. A highlight is a 6 hour or longer Kenai Fjords National Park boat tour that is operated by several companies. Other things to do in Seward include Exit Glacier (ranger-led strolls several times a day), the Sealife Center and more. Then they can either take the train back to Anchorage.

If they had transportation, getting into the Matsu valley is also interesting - Independence Mine/Hatcher Pass area, Palmer, Wasilla (Iditarod HQ), Eagle River and more.

Depending on their schdule with the Denali portion, if they have time after disemarking from the cruise ship, a Prince William Sound tour is excellent - getting much closer to the glaciers than they would get on their large cruise ship. Then they could take the train to Anchorage that evening. But my guess is the train whisks them away to Denali right from Whittier.

John
Old Apr 16, 2009, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

The rail tour begins in Anchorage and ends in fairbanks. So tacking on anything in whittier, anchorage or fairbanks is easy. The rail tour gives one full day in Denali so I am going to instruct that they take the bus going deeper into the park.

Once they arrive whittier they need to get to anchorage somehow. Whether it be bus, train or rental car.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 5:29 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by hindukid
The rail tour begins in Anchorage and ends in fairbanks. So tacking on anything in whittier, anchorage or fairbanks is easy. The rail tour gives one full day in Denali so I am going to instruct that they take the bus going deeper into the park.

Once they arrive whittier they need to get to anchorage somehow. Whether it be bus, train or rental car.
Then if it were me I would take the Prince William Sound cruise after disembarking from the ship. Then get to Anchorage that evening (train, or some shuttle).

Then Anchorage to Denali, shuttle bus into the park (be sure they take plenty of food and water - no food inside the park except at the entrance. Can refill water bottles at Eielson Visitor Center 66 miles inside the park).

In Fairbanks there are quite a few things to do - Riverboat Discovery, mine dredge or mine tour, see the pipeline, an excellent Univ of Alaska Fairbanks museum, and more. Just depends on their interests and time constraints.

John

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.