Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do in ANC in March?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2008, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
What to do in ANC in March?

So, I did a search and most of the tips are for summer activities (cruises, etc), so I thought I would start a new thread about ANC in March.

My brother and I are coming to ANC for 4-5 days and wanted to find some fun things to do. We're going to try to catch the Iditarod restart in Willow, but short of that what are other good suggestions?

We're thinking about spending a day at Girdwood (skiing), but are there any other good tours?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Well, you can certainly join us for the Spring Break Do if you're in town then! We'll be participating in a number of activities around Fur Rondy/Iditarod time. See the link in my signature, which leads to a page with a link to the actual Spring Break Do thread, which has many more details.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Ack, looks like I'll miss the DO (never been to one) by a few days as we fly out on the 10th. I'll check the DO page though and see if there's more info - thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Ack, looks like I'll miss the DO (never been to one) by a few days as we fly out on the 10th. I'll check the DO page though and see if there's more info - thanks.
well... let us know when your in town (feel free to post on the Consolidated ANC Do thread to let us know when you're in town ^

Well... read up on my subscribed forums and looks like you found it quite alright

Last edited by beckoa; Dec 5, 2008 at 2:13 am
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Although not in Anchorage, if you want to see something that is very cool and unusual, fly up to Fairbanks for a day/night and go to the World Ice Art Championships. They start at the beginning of March and go until whenever the temps are warm enough to start melting things (usually the last week of March).

In Anchorage, there is also a fair amount of indoor activities, including the great Anchorage Museum of History & Art. Check the calendar of events page at the Anchorage Convention & Visitors Bureau closer to your visit for a better idea of what's going on in town while you are here. Winter is locals time in Alaska, so events aren't publicized as well as they are in summer since there aren't tourists to attract, but there is always something going on. It takes a little bit of local know-how, but contrary to popular belief Alaska does not shut down in the winter.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:12 pm

If you're lucky, you might catch the aurora. You can go down to Valdez. Along the way is the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. The Turnagain bore tide is impressive -- it was really neat seeing all that ice zipping by.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by alanh
If you're lucky, you might catch the aurora. You can go down to Valdez. Along the way is the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. The Turnagain bore tide is impressive -- it was really neat seeing all that ice zipping by.
Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is not on the way to Valdez. Sounds like you're thinking of Seward or Homer.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 3:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Cross Country skiing is also a fun activity... maybe not as exhilarating as downhill... but also easier on the joints and a great way to see the back country. Not sure about rentals... but probably can pick up some somewhere...

Thankfully the sun will be seeing a resurgence by March (well... not as bad after Dec 21...)
Old Dec 15, 2008, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I once did a mileage-motivated trip in April, after doing all previous ones in September (highly recommended) and one in October. Not the same scenic beauty, but the wintry stuff is still in effect, you might see the northern lights, the prices aren't bad and it was also kinda different to go out to Earthquake Park and see the ice chunks floating out to Cook Inlet as if on a long conveyor belt. Indoor stuff like restaurants, museums and places like koot's still work, and tourist traps are in hibernation. If it's late March you also shouldn't do badly on daylight hours.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Leave
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by badjuju
Leave
Luckily we won't miss you.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:02 am

Ice Fishing

(No not fishing for ice ... if you don't know what I mean- go rent Grumpy Old Men )
Old Dec 20, 2008, 1:53 am

You may be able to take in a hockey game, either Aces (pro) or UAA (college). Great skating on lagoons, too.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is not on the way to Valdez. Sounds like you're thinking of Seward or Homer.
How'd Valdez get in there? Yes, I meant Seward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.