Wiki Posts
Search

2009 Iditarod

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, DL 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, *wood Platinum
2009 Iditarod

I just made plans for my son and I to go to Anchorage and watch the first two stages of the 2009 Iditarod. We plan to stay in downtown Anchorage. Where would be the best place to view the Iditarod on Saturday March 7. We would like to go to watch the race re-start in Willow the next day. We will be renting a car and wonder if it'd be fine to drive there from Anchorage. Any advices about where to stay and where the best viewing places would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:02 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Saint Christopher
I just made plans for my son and I to go to Anchorage and watch the first two stages of the 2009 Iditarod. We plan to stay in downtown Anchorage. Where would be the best place to view the Iditarod on Saturday March 7. We would like to go to watch the race re-start in Willow the next day. We will be renting a car and wonder if it'd be fine to drive there from Anchorage. Any advices about where to stay and where the best viewing places would be appreciated. Thanks!
The race starts on 4th Avenue in downtown Anchorage. There is plenty of viewing space on the sidewalks and I believe there are bleacher seats you can sit in, so viewing should not be a problem.

The re-start in Willow is fun for the spectators & much more serious (for the mushers) than Anchorage. Depending on weather, it can take 2 to 2.5 hours to drive there. The roads are in good condition, but all bets are off if we get a winter storm. You'll still get there, but it could take longer.

BTW, there is talk of an Iditarod Do. Keep an eye out for it.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:48 pm

I am making my 4th trip next year, it is fun.

1. Any hotel or B&B downtown would allow you to get to the ceremonial start on Saturday. Easy walking, area is generally flat. Parking is not a problem. Remember the tourists for Iditarod don’t compare to the volume with the ships and other visitors hitting in the summer time.

2. As Bob W stated, finding a spot to watching the ceremonial start is easy. With the exception of the first block, it may be two/three people deep. I also like to go to the parking garage at 4th and C Streets. You get various angles and easy access to the shopping mall on 5th. Last year, it was windy and cold. Dress warm. Afterwards, I would consider going to the trail near Alaskan Native Medical Center on Tudor Road and Bragaw Street. You can watch the dogs run in real snow, etc. Also the Alaskan Native Medical Center has museum-quality display of native items on the various floors as well as first class gift shop that acts as a consignment for artisans. No bipedal bears; but I have previously purchased woven baskets, baleen and art.

3. Again, as Bob W said, budget 2.5 hours to get to Willow. You can park about 30 miles south in Wasilla or at a school above Wasilla (can’t remember town). You then ride a school bus up and back. Otherwise, park at the Willow airport (across the road) and ride another school bus. Allow sufficient time to get there to allow a walk around the staging area. Also, food and fun at the community center. Last year, I talked with a member of the Iditarod Air Force who was there with his grandson.

4. Other things to do
A. Before Saturday, go to the Millennium Hotel, the headquarters of the race. You will see mushers, dogs as well as many volunteers being trained to assist in the start.
B. The banquet on Thursday is a little pricey but interesting if you haven’t done it before.

5. Overbuy Iditarod related gifts. People love them.

Look forward to seeing you there. I will be the one wearing gloves and a hat.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, DL 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, *wood Platinum
Thanks both of you for the information. It's helpful!

Do either of you know the schedule (start time) of the race, both on Saturday March 7 in Anchorage and Sunday March 8 in Willow Lake? This would help determine where we should stay, etc..

Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:10 pm

From last year, my recollection
Ceremonial Start in Anchorage Start at 10 AM went to about 1:30 PM
Start in Willow Start at 2 PM went to 5 PM
Old Nov 5, 2008, 2:04 pm

Try this one ...

for the slightly more adventurous ...

http://www.yukonquest.com/
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:36 pm

Hello -- I just came across this thread. I am planning a similar trip.

Can Bob W or njswamps (or anyone) tell me if there is much difference - from the spectator's perspective - in the experience in Wasilla/Willow versus Anchorage? I know the "real" start is in Willow, so the mushers are much more serious there, but is there anything more/less to see at the start versus the re-start?

If the experience at the re-start is really superior, I will do both.

Also, does anyone know about flying out to one of the checkpoints? I have found some tour companies that will fly you to a checkpoint on a ski-plane, but I wonder what there is to see there. If all I can see is a sled going by for 25 seconds, it doesn't seem worth it. But if the teams stop for a while, rest and re-provision, it might be fun to see how they do it. Sort of like a "pit-stop" at a Nascar race, which can be very interesting.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by adkkev

Shh, don't let the secret out.

Originally Posted by VJHooker
Hello -- I just came across this thread. I am planning a similar trip.

Can Bob W or njswamps (or anyone) tell me if there is much difference - from the spectator's perspective - in the experience in Wasilla/Willow versus Anchorage? I know the "real" start is in Willow, so the mushers are much more serious there, but is there anything more/less to see at the start versus the re-start?

If the experience at the re-start is really superior, I will do both.

Also, does anyone know about flying out to one of the checkpoints? I have found some tour companies that will fly you to a checkpoint on a ski-plane, but I wonder what there is to see there. If all I can see is a sled going by for 25 seconds, it doesn't seem worth it. But if the teams stop for a while, rest and re-provision, it might be fun to see how they do it. Sort of like a "pit-stop" at a Nascar race, which can be very interesting.
The Anchorage "start" is really just for the cameras, media, and spectators. It doesn't count towards the official race time. The Willow re-start is where the real thing starts, and you'll notice a difference. If you're coming specifically for the Iditarod, you might as well go to both. The drive out to Willow is easy enough most of the time, although be warned that there will be a fair amount of traffic heading out there.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:13 pm

If you could only choose one, go to Wasilla. Anchorage is for fun, with a smaller team and an Iditarider. There might also be a trainer taking the run also.

Can't comment on the flights into the checkpoints.

Again, I will be wearing the hat and gloves
Old Jan 17, 2009, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles (silver) & AA Advantage
Originally Posted by adkkev

Just recently announced that Lance Mackey has withdrawn due to the low purse this year.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by TimeshareVon
Just recently announced that Lance Mackey has withdrawn due to the low purse this year.
There was more to it than just a lower purse. Lance has already promised his time this season to train a young musher for the Iditarod, including loaning him some of the dogs from Lance's kennel. As it became apparent to Lance that he wouldn't have the canine reserves to run both races this year, he decided to run in the race with a bigger payout (Iditarod).

It'll definitely be different without him in the Quest this year, but I can hardly argue with his decision. He's got to keep the lights turned on just like the rest of us, and it's not like he has anything left to prove in the Yukon Quest.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 8:33 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by njswamps
3. Again, as Bob W said, budget 2.5 hours to get to Willow. You can park about 30 miles south in Wasilla or at a school above Wasilla (can’t remember town). You then ride a school bus up and back. Otherwise, park at the Willow airport (across the road) and ride another school bus. Allow sufficient time to get there to allow a walk around the staging area. Also, food and fun at the community center. Last year, I talked with a member of the Iditarod Air Force who was there with his grandson.
Looks like I will be going to the Willow restart, but driving from Talkeetna. What time should I plan on arriving in Willow to allow plenty of time to take the shuttle bus, get oriented in Willow and get a good spot for photographing? My guess is to get there by 11am-noon for the 2pm start?

Are there security restrictions when watching the restart (regarding for example camera bags, water bottles, etc)? I would like to plan on taking my camera bag with an SLR, 2-3 lenses, extra batteries and memory cards. I don't travel light .

Thanks!

John
Old Jan 24, 2009, 5:46 pm

The 11 to noon arrival for the bus will work. The security is a snow fence and (un)common courtesy that visitors are expected to bring. Back packs, sleds, skis et. al. are allowed and encouraged. It is probable less than a 1/2 mile in distance from Park Highway to where you will stand.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:04 am

I'm in the Iditarod!!

Thanks for the helpful responses.

Well, since I asked my questions on Jan. 8, I've become more and more intrigued by the whole Iditarod experience. So much so that I've organized my trip to take in as much as possible.

I actually bid on, and won, an Iditarider spot! So I will be going to the Musher Luncheon and Musher Banquet on the Thursday before the race. On Friday we get some instructions about what to expect at the start and about riding in the sled, and then on Saturday I will actually ride in a sled for the race start in Anchorage. My Iditarider credentials get me into the secured area for both the start in Anchorage and in Willow, so I will be going to both places. I'm staying at the Millenium Hotel in Anchorage before I move to Wasilla for Saturday and Sunday nights, at a hotel next door to Sarah Palin's house.

Then on Monday, I'm taking a ski-plane out to the Rainy Pass checkpoint. Apparently the leaders usually start coming through there around 10 a.m. We spend the day at the Rainy Pass Lodge watching the teams come and go before flying back to Anchorage around 4:30.

I've already watched the DVD's from the last three races, and I've read Gary Paulsen's book, Winterdance, which I absolutely recommend to anyone who is going to, or at all interested in, the Iditarod. It is thoroughly captivating and highly informative. I read it in three days. I've got a few other Iditarod books on order from Amazon.

So I guess you can call me obsessed, or maybe even addicted, even though I haven't even experienced the real thing yet. I can't wait!!
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Skymiles (silver) & AA Advantage
Congrats and enjoy! Nothing wrong with obsession, within reason

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.