Wiki Posts
Search

Things to do in ANC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG UA CO HA
Things to do in ANC

Well as odd as this may sound, despite being a longtime AS FF/Customer I am making my first trip to Anchorage in a week with the family.

My only previous trip to Alaska was riding in an old DC-3 with my dad to Sitka to pick up a load of fish (I was all of about 8 at the time).

We will be staying with family in Wasilla, but looking for restaurant recomendations, etc. We are planning a day trip to Seward and whatever the local festivities are for the holiday.

Wife and kids fly in this coming Sunday, I follow on Tuesday night and we are all leaving late Saturday night the 5th.

Didn't want to risk upgrades clearing so used paper upgrade certs, so at least I have a comfy ride both ways.

Hopefully the weather holds up!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:06 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
well...as for the weather it aint been that great. Are you looking for good upscale type dinners or what? I do NOT reccomend sourdough mining company for starters I do reccomend a breakfast at Gwennies which they actually serve anytime. Simon and Seaforts is always an excellent choice, they dont change the menu much but if you never been to it then go for it! If you want a really neat experience eat at the Bridge restaurant. It sits on an old bridge over the water down in the port area. I thought it was delicious when I went although Ive heard mixed reviews. What I mentioned is all in Anchorage. Im not sure about Wasilla. There is a great place to eat out there but be darned if I can remember the name of it. Nevermind about the Bridge apparently it closed down. I think my favorite dive is Sea Galley/Flanigans

Last edited by ANC; Jun 24, 2008 at 11:12 pm
Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
About the only place in the Wasilla area that I'd recommend for food is the Motherlode Lodge up at the base of Hatcher Pass, on Fishhook Road. Other than that, there's not much in Wasilla other than the Iditarod headquarters, and I won't lie to you: that town is my least favorite place in Alaska.

Downtown Anchorage has plenty of good restaurants (Glacier Brewhouse, Orso, Simon & Seaforts, Humpys, Snow Goose, Sacks, Fletchers, Corsair, Crow's Nest, etc.).

You'll enjoy Seward, but be warned that it will be packed for the 4th of July.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
...on the way to Seward the Double Musky is always a good bet! About 45 minutes from Anchorage on the Seward Highway in Girdwood. The Alaska Railroad is an interesting way to get to Seward, but is ssssllllllloooooowwww. Did this a month ago, and it was like a 4 hour ride. Great for visitors, but for a local, my highlight was seeing how the old switchback circle worked to get over the pass. Got a couple of cool shots too, but took forever...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:33 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Club Paris

Club Paris, great steaks & seafood and right downtown.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm not a local but I went to ANC and Seward last June. I agree the Glacier Brewhouse or Snow Goose are some good places to eat. Snow Goose has a patio upstairs where you can enjoy a nice view of the water and surrounding area. I enjoyed watching planes land at ANC and the air force base. On the way to Seward, there is a turnoff and you can go visit a glacier. I forgot the name off hand. It's a long drive to Seward (everything in Alaska seems much further than in the lower 48) and I have been told there are lots of accidents involving moose and oncoming cars so please be careful.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Sacks very good.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ANC
I do NOT reccomend sourdough mining company for starters
I disagree. I've been to the sourdough many times and always good. The corn fritters are excellent. Also go across the street, if you have to wait for a table, and visit the chocolate store. it has a huge chocolate fountain that the kids may enjoy watching. Free samples too.

Also for a quick meal, try ther Arctic Roadrunner. I love their Halibut burger.

The drive from ANC to Seward is a must do. The must scenic drive in the country, IMO. You may find whales swimming in the water and sheeps high on the cliff.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:10 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
"Try the Halibut".

JP
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by laptop9999
I disagree. I've been to the sourdough many times and always good. The corn fritters are excellent.
Overpriced tourist trap with mediocre food. That being said, the fritters are good.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
As Chugach indicated, Wasilla's not much--basically one long strip mall.

For a real town with a soul, Palmer's 15 minutes away. Not much happening there, but a nice, semi-historic downtown. There's a great soup and coffee place there called Vagabond Blues.

Also, the drive up to Hatcher's Pass from the south (from Wasilla) is quite pretty. Someday I'd like to continue down the other side (toward Willow)...haven't done that yet.

Here's my long shortlist of good eats in ANC and environs (in no particular order):

Simon and Seafort's
Orso
Glacier Brewhouse
Sacks (see below!)
Club Paris
Moose's Tooth
Bear Tooth
Jens'
Southside Bistro
Suite 100
Arctic Roadrunner
Taco King/Burrito King (hey!)
Cafe Amsterdam
Cafe Croissant
Momma O's (for halibut fish and chips)
Double Musky
Kincaid Grill (sometimes)

(I'm probably missing a couple...)

Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
I'm not a local but I went to ANC and Seward last June. I agree the Glacier Brewhouse or Snow Goose are some good places to eat. Snow Goose has a patio upstairs where you can enjoy a nice view of the water and surrounding area. I enjoyed watching planes land at ANC and the air force base. On the way to Seward, there is a turnoff and you can go visit a glacier. I forgot the name off hand. It's a long drive to Seward (everything in Alaska seems much further than in the lower 48) and I have been told there are lots of accidents involving moose and oncoming cars so please be careful.
It's Exit Glacier--just a few miles from Seward. Well worth the stop. Even more worth it if you can spend a few hours hiking up to the icefield.

Originally Posted by lalala
Sacks very good.
Mmm! Yes...it's been far too long since I've been there...I almost forgot about this place! You should come up and we can organize a DO there!

Last edited by jackal; Jun 28, 2008 at 3:46 am
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:39 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I third (fourth?) the recommendations for Glacier Brewhouse, Sack's, Orso and the Snow Goose. If you stop by the Alaska Visitors Center on 4th avenue across from the legislative information office they can also give you some good information about things to do in town. Crappy website: http://alaskavisitorscenter.com/

(Full disclosure: my dad is one of the owners of the visitors center.)
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:47 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (8900a/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

Originally Posted by jackal
As Chugach indicated, Wasilla's not much--basically one long strip mall.

For a real town with a soul, Palmer's 15 minutes away. Not much happening there, but a nice, semi-historic downtown. There's a great soup and coffee place there called Vagabond Blues.

Also, the drive up to Hatcher's Pass from the south (from Wasilla) is quite pretty. Someday I'd like to continue down the other side (toward Willow)...haven't done that yet.

Here's my long shortlist of good eats in ANC and environs (in no particular order):

Simon and Seafort's
Orso
Glacier Brewhouse
Sacks (see below!)
Club Paris
Moose's Tooth
Bear Tooth
Jens'
Southside Bistro
Suite 100
Arctic Roadrunner
Taco King/Burrito King (hey!)
Cafe Amsterdam
Cafe Croissant
Momma O's (for halibut fish and chips)
Double Musky

(I'm probably missing a couple...)

Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
It's Exit Glacier--just a few miles from Seward. Well worth the stop. Even more worth it if you can spend a few hours hiking up to the icefield.

Originally Posted by lalala
Sacks very good.
Mmm! Yes...it's been far too long since I've been there...I almost forgot about this place! You should come up and we can organize a DO there!
the road over Hatcher Pass is still closed, for some reason. It's a great drive but make sure you have the right vehicle for it.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Chugach
the road over Hatcher Pass is still closed, for some reason. It's a great drive but make sure you have the right vehicle for it.
That's why I haven't done it yet...wanted to take the right vehicle over it (I've driven as far as the lodge in my car). Last time I drove up there in an SUV, it was winter and it was closed, so I only went to the lodge again.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
If you like bloody marys, try the weekend brunch at Humpy's. If you like craft beers, that's also a good spot. They'll have quality stuff on tap from some of the state's smaller more out-of-the-way microbreweries that nobody else in the city carries.

And, as someone else already suggested, "try the halibut".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.