Winter Fairbanks - Aurora Borealis Quest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Fairbanks - Aurora Borealis Quest

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: most
Dogsledding: Vysean, thanks for sharing the musher information. If you have the musher's name and no. (email always better) handy, that would be great to have in my file. However, I think a couple hours of dogsledding is enough for me. I rather have a hot rum drink at the end of the experience than a night in a tent. I'm a wimp.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Here are a couple of companies that offer short dog sledding experiences in Fairbanks:

http://www.sleddogadventures.com/dogteams.htm
http://www.pawsforadventure.com/tours.net.html

Chena Hot Springs Resort also has dog sled rides. After seeing what it's like to ride a sled, get behind the sled and drive the team if you can. It's a real rush!
Old Jan 17, 2009, 7:38 am

Programs: DL Skymiles (silver) & AA Advantage
My Fairbanks Experiences

I have been to Fairbanks in March each of the past two years (07 and 08) and have written extensively about my experiences, tours, restaurants, lodging and the aurora for the travel site IgoUgo.com. Here are the links to my journals covering those two trips:

March 08: http://www.igougo.com/journal-j70410...rbanks_AK.html

March 07: http://www.igougo.com/journal-j65217...onderland.html

http://www.igougo.com/journal-j65220...or_Region.html

http://www.igougo.com/journal-j65239...t_Springs.html

http://www.igougo.com/journal-j65218...Fairbanks.html

A couple of random comments and responses to questions and posts here . . .

You will want to have good boots that are rated to at least -25f. I have Sorels which the locals laugh at, but they are rated to -40f and have served me well in Alaska in the winter and Churchill, Manitoba on a polar bear adventure. Be sure to wear good merino (sp?) wool socks over a pair of liners. If your feet sweat, you want that moisture to be taken away as quickly as possible.

The Int'l Ice Art Championships should not be missed. They start in late February and while the posted calendar has the Ice Park open well into March, that does not mean you will have decent viewing or photography opportunities. The weather can really cause problems, especially if they get an Alaskan heat wave (like is there right now - - it was 52F yesterday!!!) When I was there this past year, much of the ice art was damaged and some even destroyed by March 18th or so due to temps. The year before, stuff was in pretty good shape although some of the finer, more intricate sculptures had also suffered damage from the sun (in spite of subzero temps).

Everything at Chena Hot Springs is pricey. I would not do the dog sled/mushing there. I have two reviews in my journals for Northern Sky Kennels and Lodge. I cannot endorse Pascale and her dogs higher! I enjoyed my mushing experience in 07 and took my friends Cathy (mom) and Jon (son - 16). They had a blast mushing their own dog teams.

B&B's - I enjoyed 7 Gables and found their rooms (with private baths) to be very reasonably priced and an outstanding value. You cannot beat her home cooked, international gourmet breakfasts! I paid $55/night this past year for my room and I'm certain the breakfast was worth $15 alone.

Aurora viewing opportunities are best out in the dark, outside of town. There are lodges that cater to the tourist trade and will even come down into Fairbanks to get you. For me, however, I felt completely safe and confident with a "do it myself" approach, driving up and parking at the big turnout at the top of Cleary Summit. On most active nights there will be plenty of other people around so no reason to be spooked about it. One night I was up there by myself in the middle of the night. The spot is so high up and the night quiet, that nobody would have been able to sneak up on me. When a car approached, I typically got back into mine until I was comfortable enough to get back out. Frankly fully bundled, people couldn't tell if I was a dude or chick, not that it matters when bad people want to do bad.

There's probably a lot more I could add here, but I'll stop. Please read my travel journals. If you have any questions, feel free to write me and I'll do what I can to help you plan an outstanding winter Fairbanks adventure. I love the place and just wish I was going back THIS year too!

Last edited by TimeshareVon; Jan 17, 2009 at 8:53 am
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Any place to recommend in So Cal (LA area) to get Alaska trip wear/gear? Kinda hard to find in sunny So Cal

Other questions:

1. Wearing in layers and jackets are obvious, but what about the bottom half below your waist? Same thing I suppose; wear woolen pants, thick layers?

2. Anyone know where I can buy 10-toed socks (or at least what I call them?) These are like gloves for your feet; they have separate digits for each of your toe fingers. People in Sapporo, Japan were wearing them as they allowed more comfort and mobility than regular socks in cold weather. Bought one myself and loved it except now I can't find them stateside

3. Lots of people recommend bunny boots. How about ski shoes? Are they adequate for Alaska?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Do a GOOGLE for IceBreaker brand wool clothing. Absolutely wonderful. I found out about it on FT. I've never been cold when wearing IceBreaker. Several online retailers sell it if you can't find it locally.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Any place to recommend in So Cal (LA area) to get Alaska trip wear/gear? Kinda hard to find in sunny So Cal
A ski or outdoors store should work -- I got my stuff at Cabella's in the Phoenix area. You can also do Land's End online.

If you Google "toe socks", you get a ton of links for sources, though I don't know if there are any retail outlets in SoCal.

Even when it's 10F in Fairbanks, you may still have to go to a store like Big Ray's to find cold weather clothes. I went to the Fred Meyer's next to my hotel looking for an extra pair of gloves. Nope, sorry, winter clothes were closed out -- it was all swimsuits and t-shirts.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:37 am

Find a REI store ... and then go in and talk with the sales people there. They should be able to help you with your outfit.

Bunny boots seem to be overkill unless you're planning on spending a lot of time outdoors in very very cold temps. Warm socks will help ... remember to layer them as well (polypro next to skin, then a thick wool sock).

There are plenty of insulated pants on the market, it all depends upon how much you're willing to spend. Insulated bibs would be better, and again, plenty of brands out there are various price points. You can also find wool pants (surplus army-navy stuff) out there as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.