Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Fairbanks - Aurora Borealis Quest

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:05 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by lazarus89
A standard room at Minnie's with shared facilities is about $79 per night in February. That's really not too bad. I suppose I could go cheaper still, but that would mean a hostel. Haven't ever stayed in one of those before... perhaps it could be a new experience.

Man, I can't wait for this trip -- it'll be good to get away from work for a while.
To see the northern lights, you really want to stay outside of the city so you are away from the city lights.

I am going in early March and staying at the Chandalar Ranch which is about 30 miles from the city. They have a variety of rooms from cabins, private rooms to hostel beds.

John
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: most
Unless I hear that the aurora viewing will be better earlier, I'm going 3-21 to 3-35-09. Input anyone?
We're staying two nights at the Springhill Marriott (thoughts anyone?). It's $80/night with a AAA-discount.

Then we're going out of town about 60 miles from Fairbanks for two nights at the Chena Hot Springs Resort ($236.52 per night).

We don't plan to rent a car.

Our plan is to hit the last day of the ice-carving competition. We also want to dog-sled.

I'd appreciate all comments and suggestions.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:14 am

CLOTHING:

What sort of shoe/boot shall I wear? Are Wellies sufficient (no lining)?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Nope, Wellies are not a good idea. March is generally warmer (definitely not -42 like it is today) but you'll still need proper footwear if you intend to spend any time outside. It doesn't manner how warm your parka is, if your feet are cold, you're miserable. Most people here wear some type of insulated boot (REAL Alaskans wear bunny boots) with one or two pairs of warm socks.

Have a great trip. March is the best month of the year in Fairbanks!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:00 pm

What is a bunny boot? Also, is there a male version of the bunny boot?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Tomayto
What is a bunny boot? Also, is there a male version of the bunny boot?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_boots

(When ASflyer says real Alaskans wear them, that doesn't count Anchorageites. I've never seen anyone in Anchorage wear them...but then again, Anchorage isn't really Alaska. Besides, it doesn't get cold enough here to bother with them...we're too close to the water. )
Old Jan 8, 2009, 6:44 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless I hear that the aurora viewing will be better earlier, I'm going 3-21 to 3-35-09. Input anyone?
We're staying two nights at the Springhill Marriott (thoughts anyone?). It's $80/night with a AAA-discount.

Then we're going out of town about 60 miles from Fairbanks for two nights at the Chena Hot Springs Resort ($236.52 per night).

Our plan is to hit the last day of the ice-carving competition. We also want to dog-sled.

By staying in the city 2 nights and not renting a car, you do realize that you are greatly decreasing your odds of seeing the nothern lights, don't you?

I am not at my computer but I know there is a dogsled opportunity in/near Fairbanks. I am going to Healy, near Denali NP, to do it myself (Earthsong Lodge). But I know there is a place closer to Fairbanks which would help if you don't have a car.

John
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:50 am

http://www.mosquitonet.com/~sleddog/ try this for dogsledding (tours or learning how to mush).
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
Originally Posted by ASflyer
March is generally warmer (definitely not -42 like it is today) but you'll still need proper footwear if you intend to spend any time outside. It doesn't manner how warm your parka is, if your feet are cold, you're miserable. ...

Have a great trip. March is the best month of the year in Fairbanks!
Good advice. March is a great month, but it can still be cold at times. (That said, if it gets up to 40 or so you'll see people in t-shirts, which will probably seem strange. ) Unlikely to be severely (or even much) below zero (F), however.

Originally Posted by jackal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_boots

(When ASflyer says real Alaskans wear them, that doesn't count Anchorageites.
Honestly it doesn't really include all that many Fairbanksans either. I've worn them on snowmachining trips, but rarely while running around in town. You don't need (or really want) bunny boots. But they're fun to look at, largely because they're just hideous.

Originally Posted by fti
By staying in the city 2 nights and not renting a car, you do realize that you are greatly decreasing your odds of seeing the nothern lights, don't you?
I'm not sure I agree. The light pollution from Fairbanks isn't that bad, and it really only becomes a factor if it's cloudy. But if it's cloudy, you're not going to see the northern lights anyway. And no ice fog to speak of in March. I'd be more concerned about not renting a car. It can be done, but Fairbanks is a car city, and you'll find it much easier to get around with your own transportation.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:25 am

I am checking into the bunny boot recommendation. I have a problem with losing circulation in my digits from cold exposure. It IS and ONCE WAS a real problem for me in the Arctic. How cumbersome is it to wear these bunny boots?

Does anyone recommend a particular type of sock? San Diego stores (even outdoor gear) don't exactly have a spectacular selection of this stuff. Maybe squeezed in between the surfboards and flipflops. 8-)

Also, I need some glove recommendations. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
I am checking into the bunny boot recommendation. I have a problem with losing circulation in my digits from cold exposure. It IS and ONCE WAS a real problem for me in the Arctic. How cumbersome is it to wear these bunny boots?

Also, I need some glove recommendations. Any suggestions?
Warmth: 10/10 (I know of no boots that are warmer--just make sure you put them on at room temperature or better)
Comfort: 6/10 (Not actually that bad, especially if walking is limited. But they are incredibly clunky)
Looks: 1/10 (No question that they're ugly)

I wouldn't bother in March, honestly. Plus, unless something's changed recently, getting your hands on a real pair of bunny boots can be tricky. Sorel's (or equivalent) will do just fine.

As for gloves, if you're truly concerned about the cold and don't need the dexterity, just get mittens. For gloves, I'll defer to others, though I've had good luck with North Face (pricey) in the past.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I second the advice on boots and gloves/mittens. You might also consider waiting until you get to Fairbanks to purchase your gear. The Springhill Suites is half a block from Big Rays, which is Fairbanks's most revered cold weather and outdoor clothing store. I'm sure they can fix you up.

Bunny boots are beginning to disappear, primarily because they're no longer being made for the Army. But you still see them on people who spend a lot of time either doing outdoor activities, like dog mushing, or working outside in the winter. Historically, bunny boots were footwear for any occasion. I saw at least one person wearing them at the Fairbanks inaugural ball for Governor Knowles in the 1990's. Accessorized with Carharts, of course.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:13 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FBKSan
I'm not sure I agree. The light pollution from Fairbanks isn't that bad, and it really only becomes a factor if it's cloudy. But if it's cloudy, you're not going to see the northern lights anyway. And no ice fog to speak of in March. I'd be more concerned about not renting a car. It can be done, but Fairbanks is a car city, and you'll find it much easier to get around with your own transportation.
Everything I have read is being where it is dark is best. I am going in March and not taking any chances. I am staying outside of the city. Perhaps not just wanting to see but see clearly and also photograph is a factor in my case. And "not that bad" is definitely relative. If someone is spending the time, money and effort, it seems to me to be a shame to settle for just "not that bad."

John
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
My husband suffers a great deal when his hands get cold. His fingers ache and burn. He does better with mittins with liners than with regular gloves, but has to limit his outdoor exposure in any case. If a person has a medical condition that causes this, it would be very wise to talk to your physician before planning a trip into the Far North in winter.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ASflyer
You might also consider waiting until you get to Fairbanks to purchase your gear. The Springhill Suites is half a block from Big Rays, which is Fairbanks's most revered cold weather and outdoor clothing store. I'm sure they can fix you up.
I would second the idea to simply buy the gear you need when you get to Fairbanks. On the advice of my dogsled guide, I came up with only a parka and a cheap pair of gloves. We went to Big Ray's and I picked up some supplemental gloves (ended up layering the gloves which worked great), and a nice pair of -30 boots which were quite adequate in mid-March (and very reasonably priced). Spent less than $100 for everything.

As for dogsledding, I called/emailed a couple of places that I found via the Internet and ended up going with a guy from down near Salcha - primarily because of cost, scheduling, and the experience offered. Met him in Fairbanks to buy some gear and pay him, and then we set out the next day and went about twenty miles along the Salcha River. Camped out overnight and came back the following morning. It was an awesome experience and one I shall never forget. That said, it was unbelievably cold and one of the worst night's sleep I've ever had (we overnighted in a run-of-the-mill $30 tent you could pick up at Walmart and even in March it still got down to -16F). I was pretty happy to arrive at my rental car the next day to crank the heat for the drive back to Fairbanks.

I'd be happy to share the contact information I have, although this was two years ago and he may or may not still be around.

Have a great time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.