Reload this Page >

Which city in Alaska?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which city in Alaska?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2006, 3:27 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum, United Premier *wood Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lawchild
Yup. ^ You might want to make reservations now as it's a pretty small place.
Can anyone give any restaurant suggestions in Anchorage. It will be for lunch, but I'm looking to get some good Alaskan Halibut.
Old May 12, 2006, 3:31 pm

Simon and Seafort's, Glacier Brewhouse, Humpy's ( all three downtown) in descending order by price, not necesssarily quality or quantity. All 3 are good.
Old May 12, 2006, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
This may be a little pricey, but it is worth it. Do yourself a favor and take a flight up to Barrow. This little town on the edge of the world is amazing. Alaska Airlines used to offer a flight/tour that was simply amazing. They may still do it. If you do, you will get the pleasure of flying in the back of an Alaska 737-200 that is part cargo plane / part passenger plane. Dip your feet in the Arctic Ocean and marvel at where you are.
Old May 12, 2006, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
Originally Posted by mnork
Can anyone give any restaurant suggestions in Anchorage. It will be for lunch, but I'm looking to get some good Alaskan Halibut.
Try Arctic Roadrunner for the halibut burgers.

Moose's Tooth has great pizza.
Old May 13, 2006, 9:00 am

Programs: ASMVPG,HHG,SPGG
Originally Posted by mnork

Momma O's Spenard rd.Yum!Yum!
Old May 13, 2006, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by etch5895
This may be a little pricey, but it is worth it. Do yourself a favor and take a flight up to Barrow. This little town on the edge of the world is amazing. Alaska Airlines used to offer a flight/tour that was simply amazing. They may still do it. If you do, you will get the pleasure of flying in the back of an Alaska 737-200 that is part cargo plane / part passenger plane. Dip your feet in the Arctic Ocean and marvel at where you are.

We may do that in 2008 or later. Looking forward to JNU this year. Next year it's our first cruise ever--transantlantic on the QM2. So Barrow has to wait.

But thanks for the advice!
Old May 31, 2006, 4:00 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum, United Premier *wood Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by REC1111
Simon and Seafort's, Glacier Brewhouse, Humpy's ( all three downtown) in descending order by price, not necesssarily quality or quantity. All 3 are good.
Thanks for the suggestions. I just got through with a fantastic lunch at Simon and Seafort's. Although there wasn't a great Halibut selection the King Salmon that I had was outstanding!
Old May 25, 2007, 10:24 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Nobbi
So I was finally able to get a booking at Pearson's Pond.
How was your stay? Do you recommend it for a one night stay?
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
A little late, but thought I'd chime in re: Anchorage's restaurants.

I second Momma O's. Haven't been there in forever (almost forgot about it!) but they do have truly great halibut 'n' chips.

My favorite meal in Anchorage is Simon and Seafort's halibut cheeks crusted with parmesan and oregano.

Arctic Roadrunner was out of their halibut burgers a few weeks ago when I checked and were substituting cod or something. Hopefully now that halibut is back in season, they have it again. Never had it from the Roadrunner, but the halibut sandwiches at The White Spot Cafe downtown (4th and A-ish) are awesome (their burgers are really good, too).

Somewhere around here I copied and posted a post I made on another forum with a list of Anchorage's better restaurants (although I did forget a couple mentioned here). Skim through this Alaska forum and you'll come across it somewhere. If I find it, I'll link to it.

Edit: guess I didn't post it here on FT. It's still in Google's cache of the other site here. I'll probably end up editing it and reposting it as a new thread here (then we can have a thread for Fairbanks, another for Anchorage, and the one for Juneau, serving as a centralized repository of dining recommendations). But for now, click the above link to read my list of restaurants worth eating at.

Last edited by jackal; Jun 9, 2007 at 1:22 am
Old Jun 8, 2009, 1:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by akdude
Momma O's Spenard rd.Yum!Yum!
Dude- I forgot about the place
Old Jun 8, 2009, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by geefour907
Originally Posted by lawchild

Restaurants- Anchorage is probably your best bet. Although the best restaurant in Alaska is in Sitka IMO.
That would be Ludvig's in SIT. GLORIOUS. Not the best, in my opinion....but fabulous. Here's a link for current restaurant reviews around the state. They haven't added Ludvig's, which represents a serious character flaw on their part. But they're in therapy. HA! Here's the link:

www.toursaver.com/alaska-restaurant-reviews.php
Just finished dinner about an hour ago and wandered back to the airport (well... Waddled )

Had the rockfish- fried- it was excellent-

Large fillet on a bed of spinach greens, homestyle potatos covered in cheese, 2 wedges of lemon, and a unique tartar sauce- yum!

Thanks for the heads up on them ^
Old Jun 12, 2009, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beckoa
Dude- I forgot about the place
Dude, a two year old thread? Almost to the day?

Yup. She's good pickin's. I need to go there. Probably haven't been there since before my last post in this thread...

Sadly, Google's cache of my restaurant recommendations has disappeared, and I don't think I copied it anywhere. (My main computer is still out of commission, though, so I'll look on it when I get it back up and running.)

Oh well--so many new restaurants in Anchorage that I should probably start from scratch anyway...
Old Jun 18, 2009, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Dude, a two year old thread? Almost to the day?

Yup. She's good pickin's. I need to go there. Probably haven't been there since before my last post in this thread...

Sadly, Google's cache of my restaurant recommendations has disappeared, and I don't think I copied it anywhere. (My main computer is still out of commission, though, so I'll look on it when I get it back up and running.)

Oh well--so many new restaurants in Anchorage that I should probably start from scratch anyway...
Well... u see how busy the AK thread is

And I think we even have a few new MP Dining areas too ^

...bout' that computer...
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Is that Ludwigs? I'm going to be in AK and Sitka for the first time in July.
^^^^^^^^^^ for Ludwigs. Just ate there last weekend. It would be hard to pin down one restaurant as Alaska's best, but Ludwigs definitely belongs in any Top 5 restaurant list for Alaska. Just for grins, my other four, in no order, are Gambardella's in Fairbanks, Marx Brothers in Anchorage, Bamboo Room in Haines (best halibut you'll ever have), and Club Paris in Anchorage.

Originally Posted by Nobbi
So thanks to suggestions from lawchild and 2 AS FAs we've decided on Juneau for July. Since the AS fares were really high (around $700 from the SF Bay Area for a coach fare) I decided to use our miles for 2 F seats (which we usually save for trans-oceanic F seats).

Now I'd like to get some hotel suggestions. I haven't checked any availability. I like the Four Seasons or W's or St. Regis or something along those lines. Don't know what's there. We could also do the non-luxury but always good hotels like the HI Express, Hampton Inn, etc. Or an independent nice B&B.

Thanks for more help.

We really look forward to our visit and I'll probably post a thread in the community forum to see if any JNU locals want to have a mini get=together when we're there.
Well, you're SOL on any of those places in Juneau. Your best bet is the B&B route. The "nicest" standard full-service hotel in Juneau is the Baranof, which is a somewhat sad statement.

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
I was very disappointed when I was in Anchorage last week---it seems to have little to do for tourists other than museums and restaurants. If you fly into ANC, head south along Turnagain Arm to Girdwood, a little skiing village with some great B&Bs...and wonderful scenery and restaurants year round. A drive through the nearby tunnel to Whittier, followed by a glacier cruise (in season---we just missed the May 15 start date for the short cruises) is also enjoyable.

ANC has the most flights to the lower 48, but to experience much of Alaska, you have to rent a car and head outside the city.
Anchorage is full of things to do, but for as many tourists as come through it's frightfully low on "touristy" things to do. Chances are you'll have better luck if you know someone who lives here.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:50 am

[QUOTE=Chugach;11932334]^^^^^^^^^^ for Ludwigs. Just ate there last weekend. It would be hard to pin down one restaurant as Alaska's best, but Ludwigs definitely belongs in any Top 5 restaurant list for Alaska. Just for grins, my other four, in no order, are Gambardella's in Fairbanks, Marx Brothers in Anchorage, Bamboo Room in Haines (best halibut you'll ever have), and Club Paris in Anchorage.

How about the Channel Club in Sitka?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.