Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barrow in November

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2002, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Barrow in November

I am thinking of going to BRW for a day this November. What would be the cheapest way to go up to the northernmost point and get a hotel night? Is there anything else to do there at that time of year?

Thanks
Old May 9, 2002, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I would STRONGLY advise against this. (And I'm someone who would ordinarily consider such a thing --- but having been to Barrow...) The "night" (its all night) will cost you no less than $700 for air from ANC and hotel. If you have any AS miles and feel the urge to go, then use your miles. It is a very expensive flight. You will have to stay at the Top of the World hotel, which is "acceptable" (about old Motel 6 standard, but for Barrow, fine). You will not be able to be outside for more than a minute or 2 at a time. Food is marginal and expensive. If you really want a winter Alaska experience, I might suggest Chena Hot Springs, where you have an excellent chance of Aurora viewing and can hottub at the same time (only 60 mi from FAI on an improved road).
Old May 9, 2002, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! If I do go, I am going to attempt to use NW miles and a 20K award. I found a hotel for $115 which is a block and a half from the airport, supposedly . I may have to reconsider the whole idea, as thoughts of nice, warm, sunny beaches come into my head.

Thanks!

win1300
Old Aug 1, 2002, 10:48 am

While this is an old topic thread, I'll add some comments in case someone else searches for info on Barrow ...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eastbay1K:
You will have to stay at the Top of the World hotel, which is "acceptable" (about old Motel 6 standard, but for Barrow, fine).
</font>
You are not limited to the Top of the World in Barrow. I much prefer the King Eider Inn, a fairly new and nice place.

http://www.kingeider.net

But if you smoke, be warned that the King Eider prohibits smoking everywhere.

The King Eider site also has links to other info about Barrow as well. If you're wondering about the name of the hotel, it was named after the bird. It seems Barrow (during summer) is a "hot" spot for birders.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
You will not be able to be outside for more than a minute or 2 at a time.
</font>

That's true only if you fail to dress properly. Winter temperature in Barrow are typically "milder" than in Fairbanks.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Food is marginal and expensive.
</font>

Both true. However the adventurous might enjoy visiting "Pepe's North of the Border", the world's most northern Mexican restaurant. Fran, the woman who owns and runs the place is both a legend and a delight. A fairly amusing book about Fran's life, her restaurant and Barrow is Tacos on the Tundra: The Story of Pepe's North of the Border :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...961582-8422431

Another tip for Barrow: Don't plan on renting a car to get around. First, it would be hideously expensive and secondly there's really nowhere much to drive. If you want to head out to Point Barrow, the northern most point of land of the US, I'd suggest heading there via one of the van or humvee tours that goes out polar bear and wildlife watching.

Other notes: Barrow is a "dry" town. There are no bars or alcohol sales allowed so don't expect to find that type of nightlife. In fact don't expect to find much of any nightlife unless your tastes run towards Bingo or watching basketball at the town's high school.

So if you're adventurous, curious, have Alaska airlines miles to use for a free ticket and always wanted to see what's at the end of Alaska, ... and most importantly have the right attitude ... you might enjoy a trip to Barrow. I'd suggest not making your first visit for longer than a night and 2 days though

[This message has been edited by Quokka (edited 08-01-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.