Wiki Posts
Search

Excursions out of Skagway

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2023, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Excursions out of Skagway

Hi,
I am travelling on a cruise next may and will be having a day at Skagway.
There are a few options for short trips out of there.
I like history and trains so want to try the train.
The question is whether to go up one way by rail and back by bus - I read that the bus goes into Canada so the usual passport control hassle is involved .
Is going one way by bus worth the extra trouble ?
Old Aug 1, 2023, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
The train goes up, turns around, and comes down. No hassles about that whatsoever. It's a good experience.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, I had heard that the bus combo involved included crossing into Canada and returning to the USA - risking delays and hassle with immigration procedures! That is my main concern!
Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:48 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
If you're traveling on an Aussie passport the US visa waiver program will allow you to re-enter the USA with minimal hassle at the border, same as everyone else on the bus. The US and Canadian border officials are very familiar with non-US or Canadian citizens making these trips - probably hundreds per week, maybe thousands.

If it was me, I'd probably book a car out of Skagway (Avis) and drive up to the pass and into the Yukon (very scenic drive) and maybe visit the Carcross Desert and maybe head up past Emerald Lake to the Robinson Roadhouse, a very cool ghost town a few km past the lake. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/wBdNwpEEMo49LegV6
jackal likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:35 am

I recommend you to hike in Skagway the mountains around it is beautiful the way up is not so easy but worth it.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by ozflier
Thank you, I had heard that the bus combo involved included crossing into Canada and returning to the USA - risking delays and hassle with immigration procedures! That is my main concern!
I did it a few month ago, there is no hassle. No immigration going into Canada, and back into the USA the bus simply pulls up at immigration and hands a sheet with all the passengers and passport numbers on and gets waived through.

It's worth doing one way by bus as the views as different from the train (and the train is quite slow)
Old Oct 6, 2023, 6:13 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
I assume doing the drive yourself is the same scenery as riding the bus.

What about taking the train vs taking the bus/driving a car? Is there an option to train on the way up and bus on the way down? Is this is a better option vs. renting a car and driving?
Old Nov 15, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Yes, there is that option. I took a van both ways. It was a lovely trip. Next time, I want to do the train one way and the bus back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.