Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Alaska Itinerary

Alaska Itinerary

Old Feb 13, 20, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
In my opinion, yes. If it was me I'd spend those Fairbanks/Denali days on the Kenai Peninsula. Head down to Homer, ferry over to Seldovia and/or Halibut Cove. Visit the Russian churches in Ninilchik and Kenai, and take the time to go on one of the longer Kenai Fjord cruises. How changeable are your arrangements?
We have not purchased anything for our landtour just yet--save for some hotel reservations that can be canceled. Our airfare is flexible (purchased through Princess Cruises). Rebooking to ANC would cost an extra $50-ish per person in fare difference.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Feb 13, 20 at 12:59 pm
Old Feb 16, 20, 12:16 am

Programs: DL KM, AS, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Natonal EE, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
5/26 - Day trip to Seward (Alaska SeaLife Center, Kenai Fjord cruise); just reserved a minivan from Avis for $55 all-in!
5/27 - Travel to Whittier, maybe stop at Alaska Wildlife Center; boarding starts at 12:30pm; maybe do a glacier cruise in the afternoon
In Seward, there are two big companies for the day cruises: Kenai Fjords Tours, and Major Marine. Major Marine has grown immensely in the last few years. I did a wildlife day cruise back in 2015 and it was fantastic. I don't remember which company it was with, but this seems to be the closest product.

Whittier is also fun, but make sure you time it right with the tunnel. You might not spend as much time in Whittier as you think, since it's very small and compact. Just before the tunnel (heading to Whittier) is Portage Lake and the Byron Glacier Trail which is a pretty easy hike. I did it last July and there was plenty of snow once you got up there, along with great views of the glacier.

-J.
Old Feb 16, 20, 6:44 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
If you don't take a transit bus on Denali the day you arrive in Denali I am not sure why you are even going to Denali.

if it were *me* I world fly into Anchorage and totally skip Denali. The most scenic portion of the train is Anchorage to Seward. You are spending one night in Denali without a car. So you can't drive the first 15 miles of the park road at night. You have to stay somewhere that has transportation to the park and the train is painfully slow. As much as I like Wilderness Express I would never recommend it for the entire stretch Fairbanks to Anchorage.

I think you are doing yourselves a disservice making Seward only a day trip. And this is coming from a guy who loves both Denali and Seward.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: