Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Trip Critique Request

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by philemer
We're going to fly into ANC and then rent a car and see Denali, Girdwood, Seward (then boat trip to see Kenai coast), Soldotna/Kenai area, half day fishing & then back to ANC. This doable with 9 full days? Don't want to rush.
I think so.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
We've decided to do a variation of Gardyloo's itinerary:

Sun 2-Jun Arr ANC
Mon 3-Jun Homer
Tue 4-Jun Homer
Wed 5-Jun Seward
Thu 6-Jun Seward
Fri 7-Jun Girdwood
Sat 8-Jun Denali
Sun 9-Jun Denali
Mon 10-Jun Anchorage
Tue 11-Jun Anchorage
Wed 12-Jun Dep ANC

Sunday night near ANC
But, may spend Monday night in Whittier before driving to Homer for 2 nights.
Then Seward for 2 nights
--Girdwood for 1 night
Then drive to Denali for 2 nights
Then ANC area the last 2 nights
Fly home--

Comments?

Last edited by philemer; Oct 2, 2018 at 12:47 pm
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Screwbear! Totally appreciate.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Just got back from my own 5-day trip. Thanks to price breakdowns the car rent came to only $113 a-i, with almost half of that as taxes and junk. Ended up with 3 nights in Anchorage and two in Fairbanks, as I checked Homer and Valdez as possible alternatives but the weather forecasts weren't as encouraging.

I wasn't planning to, but when I got to Denali NP on the way to Fairbanks I turned in and took the road for as long as it was open, which was Teklanika (about 30 miles in). It's the furthest I've been able to drive into the park and the tundra views were great. Not as great for wildlife, though. The car was covered in mud and I had to find a car wash to wash that off.

Lows were in the upper 30s, so it was literally the last week or two ice-free. The lodgings and the car both were around 33-40% of the high-season prices.
jackal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.