Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Itinerary Help Please

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2014, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Alaska Itinerary Help Please

Hi all and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I could use some itinerary input, suggestions, and help with our upcoming trip to Alaska.

My wife and I will be traveling with our 8 and 10 year olds in August. We have the flight and car booked, but not much more... help please...

I'm not a big fan of touristy things... I don't mind driving distances, but don't want to spend the entire trip in the car either... We are not an a strict budget, but are money conscience...

So here is what I have in mind, please critic, suggest, and improve...

Landing in Anchorage 7/30/14 night leaving 8/9/2014:

7/30/14 -> land, get car, hotel in Anchorage

7/31/14 -> drive to Denali (stay in Healy? - no hotel booked, please make suggetions on where to stay) - anything exciting to see on the way there?

8/1/14 -> booked tickets for bus in park; stay night in Healy or other place recommend
8/2/14 -> set on drive to Valdez -> need lots of input here because I have no idea on the actual time for this drive and if there are exciting place to stop, if we should spend night somewhere before Valdez, where should that be? (Glennallen? another city along Glenn Highway?) Also, was thinking on exploring Matanuska Glacier along the way; can some one comment on this, is safe to walk around without gear? can I drive the rental to it? how long? guides? etc... if we stop there, should we stay the night somewhere before arriving at Valdez?

8/3/14 not sure if we need to use this day to get to Valdez or spend this day exploring Valdez and surrounding area? Any suggestions?

8/4/14 Ferry to Whittier (7am, get there at 1-2pm) / we can take this ferry the next day as well, if there are cool things to do around Valdez or along the way there.

8/5/14, 8/6/14, 8/7/14, 8/8/14 - was going to use these days to explore Seaward, Kenji Fjord, Homer, etc. Open to any suggestions!!! my Son's birthday will be on 8/6, he'll be 9 - thought about maybe doing some fishing on that day with him if there's something along the way... or any other cool activity place to visit around that area around that time...

8/9/14 taking off from Anchorage at 10pm, maybe spend day around anchorage

Thank you again for taking the time to read this, I appreciate your experience and suggestions.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Any suggestions on whether to spend another day in Valdez? are there insteresting sights in Valdez?

Any suggestions on the last leg of the trip from Whittier on?

Thanks.
Old May 9, 2014, 1:02 pm

That is a very ambitious schedle for such a big state.

In addition to Denali, which is a must, I would head South with a layover. The big hotel (Alyeska) in Girdwood is very nice.

I would also go to Seward to the Sealife Center, and take a day cruise to see the glacier. The drive to Seward is very scenic, and you may see moose etc. along the way.

Depending on timing and driving stamina, you might also consider Homer. That might be the best place to do some fishing.

Last edited by PIONEER; May 9, 2014 at 1:18 pm
Old May 15, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP G
McKinley Chalet or Denali Princess Wilderness lodge are decent options to stay at, and close to the park. However, book early - the tourist season is crazy busy up there!

As far as Girdwood/Alyeska goes, don't miss the restaurant Double Musky. The best place in the whole state (and great wine selection)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.