Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Cheapest time/loaction to fly into in Alaska?

Old Dec 23, 13, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

I am looking to book a trip to Alaska for this coming March from either Chicago or Milwaukee, and am looking for any tips or suggestions on the cheapest location to fly into, and if there is a cheaper time of the year to fly there. This is completely a trip to check Alaska off the list for my mother, as she has visited all of the other states,so the time of year or place is really irrelevant. There will be three of us flying, and my mother is older and has trouble walking, so I'd like not to have 2 or more layovers. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Old Dec 24, 13, 1:19 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Welcome to FT!

I think at that time of year Anchorage is the easiest and probably no more expensive than other places to fly into.

You might think about timing the trip to coincide with the Anchorage Fur Rendezvous - http://www.anchorage.net/events/fur-rendezvous - which is a big annual festival featuring all sorts of fun activities. The weather will probably be fairly similar to Milwaukee or Chicago - cold but not sub-zero, and the town really comes alive during "Rondy." Even if it's only a short bucket-list trip, there's no reason to keep from having it a lot of fun.

There are one-stop services to ANC from MKE and from ORD.
Old Dec 24, 13, 8:01 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Just to add......why travel then ? What nterests your mom in seeing?

As for multiple connections it depends on where you want to go. You either fly to Anchorage and connect to amany places, or you fly through Seattle and can connect direct to many of the significant cities in Alaska.

If
Old Dec 26, 13, 12:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Shane Ager View Post
I am looking to book a trip to Alaska for this coming March from either Chicago or Milwaukee, and am looking for any tips or suggestions on the cheapest location to fly into, and if there is a cheaper time of the year to fly there. This is completely a trip to check Alaska off the list for my mother, as she has visited all of the other states,so the time of year or place is really irrelevant. There will be three of us flying, and my mother is older and has trouble walking, so I'd like not to have 2 or more layovers. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
If your mom has trouble walking, I would not come in March. March is still very much winter in Alaska, which means snow and ice.

As for cheapest airfare locale, almost guaranteed to be ANC.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: