Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for sightseeing

Old Feb 27, 13, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott

My wife and I. active senior citizens are planning a trip to Alaska, arr inAK 11th of Sept and dp AK 18th. We want to see the pole, thinking of taking train (dome) to Fairchild. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. We visited 20 some years ago by cruise/land and did not get to pole
Old Mar 1, 13, 1:43 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by arubalad View Post
My wife and I. active senior citizens are planning a trip to Alaska, arr inAK 11th of Sept and dp AK 18th. We want to see the pole, thinking of taking train (dome) to Fairchild. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. We visited 20 some years ago by cruise/land and did not get to pole
Not sure what you mean by the pole. You won't be able to get to the north pole if that is what you mean.

What are your interests? Where in Alaska are you arriving into? What time on Sep 11 do you arrive and what time on Sep 18 do you depart? Many of the tourist functions like tours, etc. start winding down right about the time you arrive. If you are interested in Denali National Park, the last day for shuttle buses into the park is Thursday September 12th.
Old Mar 1, 13, 10:07 am
Original Poster

We wnted to see the North Pole. am arriving 11:30 on the 11th and departing very earlt in the AM on the 18th
Thanks for responding
Old Mar 1, 13, 10:37 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arubalad View Post
We wnted to see the North Pole. am arriving 11:30 on the 11th and departing very earlt in the AM on the 18th
Thanks for responding
Where do you find tours to the North Pole? Do you mean North Pole, Alaska (the town?). Please provide a link or more info. Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 13, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

sorry, childhood memories, not north pole but artic circle
Old Mar 1, 13, 10:24 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would consider a day trip with Northern Alaska that is a flight one way and a drive the other way. Just to cross the Arctic Circle is a "been there, done that" checkoff item, but honestly just to drive there (which is prohibited anyway with most rental cars) is a pretty boring day. Best to make better use of your time and money by taking a day trip that includes much more. This originates in Fairbanks.

I have taken a day trip to Barrow, which was very interesting. I took it about the same time you will be going. I was able to take in a Barrow high school football game (famous for the artificial turf field they have - google it), walked around town a lot, took an ATV "tour" to Point Barrow, which is the northernmost point in the USA. There is an excellent museum in Barrow that is worth a visit.
Old Mar 2, 13, 8:22 am
Original Poster

thanks for the advice, will look into Barrow

Search this Thread