Wiki Posts
Search

48 hours in Anchorage - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:44 am
Original Poster

48 hours in Anchorage - what to do?

hey folks.

it might be that I will catch a flight to Anchorage and tat I'll have a 2-day-stopover there. Come in early morning on Wed 12/26 and leave late evening on Thu 12/27.. so almost two days.

what hotel would you recommend if I would like to make some tours outside of the city? I would love to do some dog sledding. is this a realistic scenario? are there half-day or full-day tours? could not find too much through google...

also: is it worth to use one of the two days to fly to Barrow or some other point and back? is the flight anchorage-fairbanks-prudhoe bay-barrow some kind of a flight safari with wonderful views? :-D

what would you recommend for an alaska-first-timer?

thank you very much for answers.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:32 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by flyingtom33
hey folks.

it might be that I will catch a flight to Anchorage and tat I'll have a 2-day-stopover there. Come in early morning on Wed 12/26 and leave late evening on Thu 12/27.. so almost two days.

what hotel would you recommend if I would like to make some tours outside of the city? I would love to do some dog sledding. is this a realistic scenario? are there half-day or full-day tours? could not find too much through google...

also: is it worth to use one of the two days to fly to Barrow or some other point and back? is the flight anchorage-fairbanks-prudhoe bay-barrow some kind of a flight safari with wonderful views? :-D

I wouldn't bother with a flight up to Barrow or similar; it will be dark and extremely cold. (Remember the sun doesn't rise at all in midwinter in the arctic.)

Instead, I'd have a look at a flightseeing tour - fantastic in winter. There are numerous operators at Merrill Field and Lake Hood (on skis). Try Rust's - http://www.flyrusts.com/

Here's a mushing outfit that offers day tours in Anchorage - most dog sled operators are located outside of town, and with daylight so short you'd be very pressed for time. http://www.aksleddogtours.com/

Have you driven much on icy/snowy roads? There are some good driving excursions (esp. the standard Turnagain Arm drive) but only if you're okay in winter conditions.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:27 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Excellent suggestions by Gardyloo. I love driving Turnagain Arm. The Wildlife Conservation Center is open daily through Dec 31st I think. Girdwood is a nice town for a meal and a look around.

Check anchorage.net for any activities of interest for when you are there.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingtom33
hey folks.

Barrow is boring. Maybe Nome or Sitka.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:21 am
Suspended

Kotzebue isn't bad but it will be dark that time of year.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:22 am
Suspended

Airfares within Alaska are expensive so you might want to just rent a car and do things locally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.