Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Northern Lights

Northern Lights

Old Sep 16, 12, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Northern Lights

I am planning to visit Alaska in late February/early March to hopefully see the Northern Lights with a stop in Anchorage and Willow to see the start of Iditarod on the way home. Suggestions as to where we should plan to stay?
Old Sep 18, 12, 9:29 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Welcome to Flyer Talk.

That is a great time to visit Alaska. Lots to do/see at that time. What is your budget for lodging? I have stayed in hotels via Hotwire (under $50/night for the Extended Stay Midtown), in hostels and for next Feb/March I am renting a one-bedroom apartment for something like $75/night.

If you are mainly going for the Northern Lights, technically you will have a better chance to see them from further north - Denali/Fairbanks/etc. But having said that, if the forecast is high you can definitely see them from Anchorage and vicinity. Last March I was in Anchorage for the Iditarod and saw an incredible Northern Lights display one night from Eagle River (just north of Anchorage).

During your timeframe you can also take in some of the Fur Rondy activities, drive along Turnagain Arm (beautiful drive) and maybe stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center.

If you arrived for the last weekend in February you might consider the Denali Winter Carnival taking place in Denali and Healy. Also, the Ice Art Championships is taking place in Fairbanks in late February/early March. Tough to do/see all that is offered that time of year.

If you are interested, the Musher's Banquet takes place in downtown Anchorage the Thursday evening before the Iditarod.
Old Sep 19, 12, 11:16 pm
AAL

Programs: AS MVPG
Here's a contest for you. Win an Alaska aurora adventure: http://woobox.com/gu7k9g

Search this Thread
Search Engine: