Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

View Flying into Alaska

View Flying into Alaska

Old Jul 24, 12, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; HH Gold; *Wood Gold
View Flying into Alaska

May seem odd, but... I flew to Alaska a couple of years ago, I think from Seattle. Going in over the mountains was the most beautiful view ever.
My question is-- do you get this view only if you fly via Seattle, or would Denver or Houston fly the same path?
Old Jul 24, 12, 10:10 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Fly16 View Post
May seem odd, but... I flew to Alaska a couple of years ago, I think from Seattle. Going in over the mountains was the most beautiful view ever.
My question is-- do you get this view only if you fly via Seattle, or would Denver or Houston fly the same path?
More or less the same. They all have to cross the Chugach mountains during descent.
Old Jul 26, 12, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
It depends on the approach to the airport....ususally airports have 2 or 3 different way to approach and land at an aiport given current weather conditions. Whenever fying over mountians winds area factor. If they had some mountain storm or high winds they could reroute the plane on a different path circling around to land to avoid the storm.

For example earlier this week Seattle with the President in town they forced all planes to land via the southern approach to the runway. The northern approach puts the planes right over AF1....closed airspace.

Search this Thread