Northern Lights in Alaska

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Northern Lights in Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your kind advice. I think you have managed to scare me with rental cars out of ANC and the availability of block heaters. I used to drive in the snow in Europe but I have never had to use heaters so far... Given the temperatures in FAI, I think it was too much of a gamble to come there with an ill-equipped car.

Thanks for the heads-up. I still can't believe they are not provided with rentals out of ANC but maybe that is the paradigm over there.

So end story is that I am following your advice. I have asked Alaska Rail whether they would extend UAA student discounts to Tech students but had no reply... (I thought the $159 a bit steep for 300 miles...and there is no harm in trying)

So yesterday I really jumped on the CyberMonday deals and got an outbound one way on AS ANC-FAI for $77 and an inbound one way FAI-ANC on AS for $36. Quite happy...my timing was good! I don't think I could have done better.

So now I am happy and I will be renting from Avis (or?) in FAI since they seem to have winterized cars with all the equipments.

Now, regarding the aurora. I presume that if you are out at night watching the aurora, it is best not to stop the car engine at all, right? Cause in the middle of the bush, there is nowhere to plug it and I wouldn't quite like to experience a night out. Any other free piece of advice?

I will have in the car at any time sleeping bag, blankets and a lot of stuff plus a big parka for the wind. Plus some food.

I will arrive late in ANC on Thursday 16th, spend the whole Friday in ANC and half of the Saturday. Then off to FAI for four night returning to ANC around noon on the following Wednesday. Another day in Anchorage and then off to the lower 48s on Thursday night.

With this experience, next time I go to Alaska (probably in the Summer for a change), I'll drive the Parks Highway.

Thanks!

Minos

Last edited by Minos; Nov 29, 2011 at 8:54 pm
Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Minos
Hi there,

Might sound crazy for a first timer in Alaska, but I booked a week-long MR to Anchorage in the Middle of February.

PS: I guess no Grizzly or Brown Bear at this time. Any thing else could harm me during my time in the outside looking at the skies? Wolves?
What are your dates?

And No, there will be no bears and wolves should not be a problem unless you plan a hike into the bush.

Moose, however, are very ornery and have been known to trample people if you get too close.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Thursday 16th to 23rd of February
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Minos
Thanks for the heads-up. I still can't believe they are not provided with rentals out of ANC but maybe that is the paradigm over there.
I spoke with some of the managers at Dollar Thrifty in ANC, and they believe some of their Subaru Outbacks came with factory block heaters but aren't sure.

As for not being able to believe they aren't provided with rentals out of ANC--the demand just isn't there. The vast majority of wintertime rental traffic in ANC is for people staying locally in ANC, and block heaters are not necessary in ANC (the last two cars I've owned haven't had them, and I haven't had problems). They do help prevent wear on engines during the odd cold snap in ANC, but rental companies aren't invested in the long-term performance of a car that gets sold after a year (or two at most)--certainly not enough to pay several hundred dollars extra for every one of several hundred cars for something that will mostly go unused.

Expecting a fully winterized car in ANC makes about as much sense as expecting a fleet of convertibles in ANC--sure, it might be nice for two weeks out of the year or for the one person a month who actually chooses to drive where it would be useful, but it's not a necessary product nor one in high demand.

Regardless, glad to hear you found a way up there. You'll enjoy yourself.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Can I rent a convertible in Fairbanks for my February trip?

Jackal, thanks for helping me out and for inquiring.
Though, if the managers aren't even aware of what's in their car, I certainly could not have expected the guys at the booth to rent me one...

Minos
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:30 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
You got great deals on your airfare. Sounds like you have a good plan. Now to just wait for the aurora to cooperate. I got some really nice aurora photos in mid September from Denali NP. But I was just in Alaska for almost a week last week and saw nothing. Was also in Fairbanks for 4 nights a couple of years ago in March and saw nothing. It really is the luck of the draw. Be sure to check the aurora forecasts online, perhaps set up alerts to your phone, and ask for aurora wake up calls where you stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.