Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

One day in Anchorage area? Tours? Hikes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I have to go to Anchorage for work. I was thinking of going up a day early and taking a day to do something touristy. I have googled, but the information is not that opinionated.

I'm looking for advice on the best day trip out of Anchorage. I've been in the city a bunch of times and am looking for something more outdoorsy. I'd be open to glaciers, rail tours, bus tours, etc.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:27 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
August? November?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

That matters? I'm looking for a camping trip in January. jk.

It will be at the end of August. The last week. Either that Sunday or the Thursday of that week. I don't want to have gone to Alaska this much and not done something cool there. Sorry for the lack of info. I'm still waking up today.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:53 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by new2japan
That matters? I'm looking for a camping trip in January.

Get a car and drive down to Seward. Stop at the bakery at Alyeska Resort (Girdwood) in the morning for a cinnamon roll on your way down. Hike up to the ice at Exit Glacier as you get close to Seward.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:05 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
How active do you want to be? I might recommend rather than just seeing a glacier close up that you consider a glacier hike. I did one a couple of years ago and it was great. One option is Seward with Exit Glacier Guides. One of these departs at 11am and takes about 6 hours total. Cost is $125 plus tax.

Another option is to drive north of Anchorage to Matanuska Glacier and do the glacier hiking there. It is a shorter hike (3 hours) and costs $70 plus a glacier access fee ($15 I think). It is about 2 hours northeast of Anchorage (Seward is 2+ hours south of Anchorage). Mica and Nova Guides operate these tours.

I have not done any of these - the one I did was in Wrangell/St. Elias NP. But I have heard really good things about all three of these companies.

Another option is white water rafting near Hope (about 1-1/2 hours or so south of Anchorage). Some Class IV and V whitewater, also operated by Nova.

Just some more ideas in addition to the ones Gardyloo gave above.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Gardyloo

Get a car and drive down to Seward. Stop at the bakery at Alyeska Resort (Girdwood) in the morning for a cinnamon roll on your way down. Hike up to the ice at Exit Glacier as you get close to Seward.
Alternatively, go as far as Girdwood and the Alyeska Resort and stop there. Take the tram to the top of Mt. Alyeska and have lunch there. They have special combo tickets for this. Just outside Girdwood, visit the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center http://www.alaskawildlife.org Back in Anchorage, visit the Alaska Native Heritage Center http://www.alaskanative.net
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:08 pm

Second drive to Seward. There are many scenery spots. You can turn out to Portage glacier, nice visitor center and beautiful glacier view.

We enjoyed the hike to flattop mountain, which is a short drive from Anchorage. The view at the top is nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.