Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest in Alaska (Frontier Bid)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Air
Southwest in Alaska (Frontier Bid)

If Southwest successfully buys Frontier out of bankruptcy, Southwest might finally have an Alaska presence. It would be nice to see some downward pressure on the AS fares.

http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/t...0&u=SL9A22DE21

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....451&highlight=
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Won't happen. Frontier's ANC service is seasonal. WN doesn't "do" seasonal. Additionally one of Frontier's ANC-DEN flights is a red-eye. WN doesn't "do" red-eyes. IIRC AS had a DEN-ANC non-stop which didn't last long. If WN were to serve ANC from which airport would it be? Most likely not SEA or PDX. LAS perhaps? AS also has seasonal ANC-LAS non-stops which didn't work out either. MDW-ANC perhaps? Nah...it's just not gonna happen.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
Won't happen. Frontier's ANC service is seasonal. WN doesn't "do" seasonal. Additionally one of Frontier's ANC-DEN flights is a red-eye. WN doesn't "do" red-eyes. IIRC AS had a DEN-ANC non-stop which didn't last long. If WN were to serve ANC from which airport would it be? Most likely not SEA or PDX. LAS perhaps? AS also has seasonal ANC-LAS non-stops which didn't work out either. MDW-ANC perhaps? Nah...it's just not gonna happen.
We still have an ANC-DEN flight during the summer. The loads are pretty high. I flew on it last week.

AS 148 ANC-DEN 1205a - 710a
AS 147 DEN-ANC 930p - 102a
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Add to that recall when WN took over MorrisAir, Morris was serving several destinations that WN dropped, including ANC, COS, DEN, EUG, FAT and IFP. They won't necessarily maintain service to anyplace F9 currently flies, particuarly ANC, and other seasonal operations (CUN and the rest of Mexico)
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by 402Fanatic
We still have an ANC-DEN flight during the summer. The loads are pretty high. I flew on it last week.

AS 148 ANC-DEN 1205a - 710a
AS 147 DEN-ANC 930p - 102a
Sorry, I stand corrected. But again ANC-DEN is a red-eye, which works well for the cruise traffic but WN just doesn't do red-eyes. And again, even on AS it's seasonal service. Just how many seats on those DEN-ANC/ANC-DEN are sold by the cruise lines? I'm guessing a lot. And many more are cruise passengers who book independently from the cruise line. It's just not a market WN is after.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:57 pm

Sorry, I stand corrected. But again ANC-DEN is a red-eye, which works well for the cruise traffic but WN just doesn't do red-eyes. And again, even on AS it's seasonal service. Just how many seats on those DEN-ANC/ANC-DEN are sold by the cruise lines? I'm guessing a lot. And many more are cruise passengers who book independently from the cruise line. It's just not a market WN is after.
Yeah I agree with you that Southwest would be hard pressed to keep DEN-ANC. If they wanted to go to ANC there are better cities than DEN to do it out of.

Though with UA pulling out this year, if WN took over F9 and pulled out of ANC, that would leave AS all alone on this route. So any hopes of downward pressure on fares would cease to exist.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

AS still has a seasonal ANC-DEN and 2x in summer ANC-ORD,
but dropped ANC-LAS & ANC-PHX that they had for a while-

Heard @ the WN bid for F9.. Interesting and pretty cheap

(Not sure what F9 is worth-

Now would AS have any interest- probably not... Especially since they are using airbus only-
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by beckoa

Now would AS have any interest- probably not... Especially since they are using airbus only-
Well it looks like I was interuppted mid-post and when I got back it was already posted
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:20 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wildway
If Southwest successfully buys Frontier out of bankruptcy, Southwest might finally have an Alaska presence. It would be nice to see some downward pressure on the AS fares.
Carefull what you wish for...

Take it from someone who lives near OAK where pretty much all the other carriers left. I miss having options out of OAK.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:22 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
On the flip side, it gives WN another chance to really hurt Alaska Airlines by giving customers what they really want: affordable airfare. You know something's wrong when a good portion of your flyers are on award travel. Alaska's customers are pissed and may vote with their wallets.

If its cost effective (which it may be, the route is only 1400 miles), i wouldn't put it past them. Especially since nobody is left on the route. Its also an Alaska bread and butter route
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:28 pm

ANC-PHX was never non-stop. It was always one-stop same flight number via SEA.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
Carefull what you wish for...

Take it from someone who lives near OAK where pretty much all the other carriers left. I miss having options out of OAK.
I seriously doubt AS would drop out of any market that WN enters to ANC. This isn't like OAK where there are two other airports nearby. The WN flights, I'd imagine, would take cruise passengers up there. AS, on the other hand, has a very vital roll in many Alaska communities. WN isn't going to fly to places in the sticks like Nome, Adak or Barrow.

Originally Posted by maokh
On the flip side, it gives WN another chance to really hurt Alaska Airlines by giving customers what they really want: affordable airfare. You know something's wrong when a good portion of your flyers are on award travel. Alaska's customers are pissed and may vote with their wallets.
For passengers not connecting anywhere else in Alaska, it would be a great thing to have WN going up to ANC. Even if people don't fly WN they'd still get the benefit of having them on that route. Competition is a good thing. It sucks for the airline, but the passengers reap the benefit. FWIW, I still don't see WN going up there, but stranger things have happened.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Summer of 2005, ANC-PHX was nonstop. It was started to compete with what was then a new PHX-ANC-PHX service on US. It was axed after a month or two to help improve efficiency and on-time statistics (anyone who has been with AS for more than a couple years remembers that summer).

AS also started ANC-YVR (since discontinued) and ANC-DEN very shortly after AC and F9 entered those respective markets. Cutting YVR was a no-brainer with the tourist and cruise industry in Alaska taking a huge hit this year, but DEN has always seemed to do quite well, and I can only imagine having UA gone has helped that route. I'm a little bit surprised either AS or F9 haven't tried to make ANC-DEN year-round in the absence of UA.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
Summer of 2005, ANC-PHX was nonstop. It was started to compete with what was then a new PHX-ANC-PHX service on US. It was axed after a month or two to help improve efficiency and on-time statistics (anyone who has been with AS for more than a couple years remembers that summer).

AS also started ANC-YVR (since discontinued) and ANC-DEN very shortly after AC and F9 entered those respective markets. Cutting YVR was a no-brainer with the tourist and cruise industry in Alaska taking a huge hit this year, but DEN has always seemed to do quite well, and I can only imagine having UA gone has helped that route. I'm a little bit surprised either AS or F9 haven't tried to make ANC-DEN year-round in the absence of UA.
I know...

With no UA presence on this route... ANC-DEN on a 73G - one would think it could work year round)

Of course the only places to connect to on AS with such a route are SEA & PDX...

Wouldn't be surprised then if CO added this route to fill in the * hole
Old Jul 31, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

I know...

With no UA presence on this route... ANC-DEN on a 73G - one would think it could work year round)

Of course the only places to connect to on AS with such a route are SEA & PDX...

Wouldn't be surprised then if CO added this route to fill in the * hole
The problem with AS' service in DEN is that their partners have limited onward connections. If an AS partner, say AA, had stronger connections beyond DEN, then AS doing that flight year-round might actually make a whole lot of sense.

The thing I don't like about the DEN-ANC service on AS is the northbound flight is at a terrible time. Gets into ANC around 1:00 AM, far too late for any connections to other AK destinations, and it dumps you off at Uncle Ted International bleary-eyed and exhausted, not a nice welcome for our visitors from down south.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.