Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Here's a New One: Use FC Lav = 2 Days in Jail!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP

Article here.

Okay, it was a DL flight, but this paragraph caught my eye:

"Transportation Security Administration policy requires passengers on international flights to use the restroom in their seating class.".

I've never flown to Mexico on AS and only on QX to Canada. Does AS really and truly bar pax from the FC lav to/from Canada & Mexico??
Old Apr 20, 2009, 2:58 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by SEAFFLYER
Article here.

"Transportation Security Administration policy requires passengers on international flights to use the restroom in their seating class.".

I've never flown to Mexico on AS and only on QX to Canada. Does AS really and truly bar pax from the FC lav to/from Canada & Mexico??
they dang well should!!! Besides stating in the safety briefings that its their rules, its way more dangerous than a first class water bottle on the arm rest!
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, DL, Marriott, Hilton Honors Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
They(the flight attendants) usually enforse the rule about useing the lavatory in the classs of service you are seated in, upon returning to the US from Mexico--on the way down to Mexico you are lucky to get to use the first class lav with all the coach passengers coming forward; and if you are seated in first and you step into the asile in front of an on coming coach passenger you better be ready for a fight!!!!
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by ANC
Besides stating in the safety briefings that its their rules, its way more dangerous than a first class water bottle on the arm rest!
When I flew HNL-ANC last week, when the door closed I put my water bottle in the seat pocket mostly as a courtesy. The FC flight attendant actually reached into my seat pocket, took my little 8-ounce Alaska Airlines water bottle out, and put it in the overhead bin. Never before, and never since, have I ever experienced this. My seatmate and I just kind of exchanged a "...?!" glance when she did this.

Delicious irony aside, as it probably moved around a heck of a lot more in the overhead bin then it ever would have on the arm rest, let alone the seat pocket where I actually put it, has anyone else ever had this happen?

To her credit, she did return my water from the overhead once we were through 10,000 feet. But the whole thing was rather bizarre, and a little off-putting since I was thirsty at the time and in the process of drinking said water.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Article here.

International flights are under different rules... the announcements are far clearer and more forceful on all airlines.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Chugach
When I flew HNL-ANC last week, when the door closed I put my water bottle in the seat pocket mostly as a courtesy. The FC flight attendant actually reached into my seat pocket, took my little 8-ounce Alaska Airlines water bottle out, and put it in the overhead bin. Never before, and never since, have I ever experienced this. My seatmate and I just kind of exchanged a "...?!" glance when she did this.

Delicious irony aside, as it probably moved around a heck of a lot more in the overhead bin then it ever would have on the arm rest, let alone the seat pocket where I actually put it, has anyone else ever had this happen?
Thats part of the rule that has recently started being enforced. Theres a whole thread for that.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-faa-rule.html

It does seem kind of odd that she didn't say what she was doing before hand. All the flights I've been on they explained that there was a new rule when they asked for the bottles back.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 4:35 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by Chugach

To her credit, she did return my water from the overhead once we were through 10,000 feet. But the whole thing was rather bizarre, and a little off-putting since I was thirsty at the time and in the process of drinking said water.
I think thats the worst route for the potty parade. It must be because everybody is drinking it up or something.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 5:39 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up

Anything that keeps the Gate Lice back in steerage...I'm all for (-;

Elite Status Is Not A Matter of Life and Death...It's Much More Important Than That!
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:14 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by I_Hate_US_Airways
Anything that keeps the Gate Lice back in steerage...I'm all for (-;

Elite Status Is Not A Matter of Life and Death...It's Much More Important Than That!
hmm I wouldnt call them gate lice...thats a different issue. I think some obnoxious elite starts most of these potty parades thinking the rule doesnt apply to them in 7D and once one goes everybody else says well they did it and didnt get turned back to Y so here I go too and then it just constantly continues
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Article here.

I feel sorry for this guy, especially if he is sick. I can see them enforcing this rule on a wide body but with a single aisle aircraft there has to be a reasonable compromise for emergency situations.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by ANC
they dang well should!!! Besides stating in the safety briefings that its their rules, its way more dangerous than a first class water bottle on the arm rest!
Yes, make them do the walk of shame followed by a curt PA announcement reminding everyone to stay in their ticketed cabin. For the sake of consistency, this should be standard on domestic flights as well.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott

I've heard this announcement on domestic flights as well, perhaps the FA's just use it out of habit. I think the mention of it being a 'TSA rule' sends a stronger message to Y pax who might violating the sacred threshold at row 6.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG
"Transportation Security Administration policy requires passengers on international flights to use the restroom in their seating class."
So this one has me confused. Is this really a TSA rule or is the article confusing airline policy and actual TSA regulation. I understand the rule about not congregating near the cockpit, but what possible TSA issues would there be about an airline letting or not letting passengers use a lav in the wrong cabin? And why would this be any different on an int'l flight vs. domestic?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by czpdx
So this one has me confused. Is this really a TSA rule or is the article confusing airline policy and actual TSA regulation. I understand the rule about not congregating near the cockpit, but what possible TSA issues would there be about an airline letting or not letting passengers use a lav in the wrong cabin? And why would this be any different on an int'l flight vs. domestic?
Without going into too much detail because this is a security directive...yes this is a TSA rule. It goes both ways too. Pax in F cannot use the Y lavatory. You must use the lavatory in your class of service. You can only make small exceptions for like minors, or people with medical conditions. Otherwise the rule is pretty black and white and the airlines are just complying with what the TSA says.

There is no explanation as to why the rule is this way. But most regulations don't give reasonings so this one is no different.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by Alaska14k
...and if you are seated in first and you step into the asile in front of an on coming coach passenger you better be ready for a fight!!!!
Oh, when I am in F, I get up and stand out there all the time if it's necessary. I also stand out in the aisle for my wife when she needs to go and can't get past the parade.

Fight? I don't think so.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.