Wiki Posts
Search

best lounge in ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
best lounge in ORD?

I have some SEA-ORD-PIT's and will have about an hour and a half between my AS and AE connections.

I noticed that BR pass holders have access to two lounges in ORD: the delta crown room and continental presidents club.

I am familiar with the delta crown room product in SLC and JFK, but I have never been to ORD. Is it any good? Would it, instead, be worth the effort to visit the presidents club? I have never been in a continental club.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL PM; DL SC; UA Plat
Distances from gates aside, I far prefer the Continental/NW joint club. It's larger, has better food, more nooks and crannies, and far better business/desk space. They also have a dedicated customer service counter. Both are friendly; the CO/NW club has been very helpful to me during weather/irrops.

The DL CR is much smaller and feels more cramped. The best was basically snack mix in a bowl, fruit, and biscotti (and nutella?) The CO/NW food is cheese & crackers, chips and salsa, fruit, and the cookies most NW World Clubs have.

The booze is roughly the same quality between the two clubs, but it's self-serve in the CO/NW club, while it's bartender service in the DL Crown Room. The CO/NW club has the big red espresso/coffee self-serve machines, which is nice, especially with the self-serve Bailey's. Two things are better for booze at the DL CR: they have Maker's Mark and Disaronno Amaretto.

The kicker for me is free wifi in the CO/NW club; however, DL is T-Mobile, and is not free unless you're a subscriber (or you can possibly get a day pass if you're a DL elite or flying DL F, but I've always been in using my AS BR membership, so I don't know. Others probably do.)

If you're flying AS metal, a major issue is proximity: IIRC, the DL CR is almost immediately across from the gates AS uses, while the NW/CR club is about a ten minute walk. Not difficult, but you can't cut your time quite as close.

Neither club maintains updates or boards on AS metal flights.

So if you have the time and want to stretch your legs, I'd definitely choose the CO/NW club. If you're a big fan of Maker's or Amaretto, get a quick one at DL and move on.

As a related aside, I'm a fan of loungeguide.net, which has details on both of these lounges (and 627 others!)

Last edited by warmstor; Jan 12, 2009 at 7:41 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jan 13, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by warmstor

(snip, snip)

If you're flying AS metal, a major issue is proximity: IIRC, the DL CR is almost immediately across from the gates AS uses, while the NW/CR club is about a ten minute walk. Not difficult, but you can't cut your time quite as close.

Neither club maintains updates or boards on AS metal flights.
Yes, the CR is directly across from Gate L2B at O'Hare, the gate AS usually operates from. It's nothing fancy but it usually is quiet and well-staffed and well-stocked. No free WiFi sucks tho.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 3:06 am
Original Poster

I should have about an hour and a half (onto an AE flight with a 20% on time rating, wow!) between gate and take off tomorrow.

Im embarrassed to say i haven't been in ORD in a long time. Is it all behind the security check point, and how long is the walk to the NW/CO room from the AS gates?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by maokh
I should have about an hour and a half (onto an AE flight with a 20% on time rating, wow!) between gate and take off tomorrow.

Im embarrassed to say i haven't been in ORD in a long time. Is it all behind the security check point, and how long is the walk to the NW/CO room from the AS gates?
With the weather at ORD today, you may be having a lot more than 90 minutes on the ground there. AS already canceled the morning SEA-ORD and the remaining two SEA-ORD runs have the dreaded "Departure Update At...." message next to them.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chugach
With the weather at ORD today, you may be having a lot more than 90 minutes on the ground there. AS already canceled the morning SEA-ORD and the remaining two SEA-ORD runs have the dreaded "Departure Update At...." message next to them.
Yeah, i can't wait. Windchill is supposed to be -30F or so where i am headed, which is funny.. i could have sworn i had my Barrow reservation scheduled for February...
Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by maokh
Yes, both clubs are airside. The CO/NW club is about a ten minute walk from the AS gates. Well worth it, IMO, especially with potential weather delays.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Unfort they close early on Sat... as I am on the noon AS flight connecting into NYC on AA...
Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Unfort they close early on Sat... as I am on the noon AS flight connecting into NYC on AA...
Seems like most clubs in most locations close early/earlier on Saturdays... Certainly most AS BRs, AA ACs, etc. NW WCs seem to be the one exception to this. DL CR hours seem to always be pretty mediocre, and ORD is no exception.

It drives me crazy. I get that airlines probably think that most business travelers, ostensibly their main clientele, don't travel on Saturdays, but I certainly do.

That said, I'm not clear what flight you're talking about. Seems like any flight arriving or departing ORD in the range of noon on a Saturday should put you well within the operating hours of both the CO/NW and DL clubs.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Seems like most clubs in most locations close early/earlier on Saturdays... Certainly most AS BRs, AA ACs, etc. NW WCs seem to be the one exception to this. DL CR hours seem to always be pretty mediocre, and ORD is no exception.

It drives me crazy. I get that airlines probably think that most business travelers, ostensibly their main clientele, don't travel on Saturdays, but I certainly do.

That said, I'm not clear what flight you're talking about. Seems like any flight arriving or departing ORD in the range of noon on a Saturday should put you well within the operating hours of both the CO/NW and DL clubs.
I was unclear... leaving SEA at noon...
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:43 am
Original Poster

After taxing across the entire airport and waiting on a dark part of the tarmac for almost a half hour, we finally got in yesterday. Didnt matter since my AE flight was significantly delayed anyway.

I walked over to the NWA room over in the other terminal (about 10 minute walk like you said), i was sadden to see the club closed at 7:30pm! It also appears that the delta crown room closes at an even earlier 6:45pm!

I guess if AS showed up to the gate ontime, and my AE flight left on time, the NWA room hours wouldnt be a big issue...but with a 20% on time rating for AE, would be nice if the hours were longer.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 2:33 pm

By way of update, since I'm writing this from the CO/NW club. (And I definitely still prefer it.)

First, I'd actually budget 10-15 minutes to walk from the AS gate if you have luggage or you don't know exactly where you're going. Or if, like me, you're just generally exhausted from starting your night last night on a 0030 redeye from ANC.

Second, when you come in, assuming you're using your AS Board Room membership and a same-day AS flight to qualify for admittance, make sure you go to the second of the two counters immediatley inside the door. The first is the NW counter, and they won't show you as eligible to use the club if you're not flying NW that day (which I'm not.) I spaced this, but the NW person nicely pointed me over to the CO desk three feet away, who got me right in (with a same day AS flight and BR membership.)
Old Jan 19, 2009, 4:03 am

By way of update, since I'm writing this from the CO/NW club. (And I definitely still prefer it.)

First, I'd actually budget 10-15 minutes to walk from the AS gate if you have luggage or you don't know exactly where you're going. Or if, like me, you're just generally exhausted from starting your night last night on a 0030 redeye from ANC.

Second, when you come in, assuming you're using your AS Board Room membership and a same-day AS flight to qualify for admittance, make sure you go to the second of the two counters immediatley inside the door. The first is the NW counter, and they won't show you as eligible to use the club if you're not flying NW that day (which I'm not.) I spaced this, but the NW person nicely pointed me over to the CO desk three feet away, who got me right in (with a same day AS flight and BR membership.)
Thankxs warmstor for the heads op on this... will be taking the AS nonstop from ANC in June (hope they stay partners till then) but nice to know to check in with CO if no NW in itin )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.