Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The first-class boarding line

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2008, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
You mean the pre-departure "beverage"?

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
If you stick a straw in it and blow, it is bubbly
Maybe this can be a new 'service enhancement' that AS can provide

Originally Posted by dgwright99
Exactly. Also, if you have a datacard for your laptop, you get more "working time" if you board early, and then work (or surf FT ) until a couple of minutes before the door closes. It's not worth opening up your laptop on the plane unless you board early; the alternative is to keep working in the gate area until the very last minute, but good luck finding space for your rollaboard if you do that....
If that wifi starts as scheduled (in 16 minutes ADT - September 1 is too close) we could surf the web while on the tarmac, and could be a cool ancillary enhancement/benefit for those in the F cabin (and would urge us to get onboard faster, so we could get internet that much sooner...^)

And as a side note...
I was recently on an AS SEA-LAX flight, and enjoyed a very good quiche, with a fruit bowl, and was even offered a pre-departure coffee... ^ I inquired from the F/A if I could spike it up a bit and have a little baileys added, and they replied that AS was prohibited from serving alcoholic beverages on the ground... interesting... (Upon reaching 10K I did get that... plus my customary rebull so all was (and is) well!)

Last edited by beckoa; Sep 1, 2008 at 1:49 am
Old Sep 1, 2008, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beckoa

If that wifi starts as scheduled (in 16 minutes ADT - September 1 is too close) we could surf the web while on the tarmac, and could be a cool ancillary enhancement/benefit for those in the F cabin (and would urge us to get onboard faster, so we could get internet that much sooner...^)
You mean so I can start using up my precious battery that much sooner?

(Hmm...it's kinda fun making snarky responses with rolleyes to your comments... )
Old Sep 1, 2008, 3:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
You mean so I can start using up my precious battery that much sooner?

(Hmm...it's kinda fun making snarky responses with rolleyes to your comments... )
well... you do have that iphone that can utilize wifi... especially in ANC! No more Edge... just AS Wifi!!!

(I can just see jackal lurking around AS A/C while on break trying to get a fast internet connection )
Old Sep 1, 2008, 4:19 am

.... AS was prohibited from serving alcoholic beverages on the ground... interesting... (Upon reaching 10K I did get that... plus my customary rebull so all was (and is) well!)
FYI, most airlines have this type of liquor license and are prohibited from serving any alcoholic beverage on the ground. I know at my previous carriers we were not allowed to serve liquor on the ground and at one, if we DID serve pre-departure champagne we had to throw out the open bottle before closing the FWD boarding door.

In terms of some airlines serving champagne on the ground etc, they have a different license.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 8:13 pm

Alaska is NOT prohibited from serving alcohol on the ground in any city other than EWR (for some reason we need a license to serve alcohol if on the ground there). Many FA's have this misconception because many weren't around when pre-departure beverages were offered, including alcohol, and they've heard other FA's say that they aren't allowed so they just take it for gospel. Others just don't want to open the door to the entire FC cabin wanting an adult beverage on the ground so they say they blame "policy" because it's an easy out. Additionally, MOST airlines do a full pre-departure beverage service in FC as a matter of policy, including alcohol, so I highly doubt that most airlines have licenses that prohibit this. Finally, I have worked a variety of airlines over the years and have never heard that you had to throw away any open bottles before closing the door - at least in the U.S., other countries may have their own rules.

Let me just say, it is Alaska's policy to provide a water bottle at each seat. A full selection of pre-departure beverages are not part of the service provided. If a Flight Attendant offers more then they are simply going above and beyond, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's understood by the customers that it's not part of the routine service and the Flight Attendant that doesn't offer it later isn't necessarily "lazy", they have done their job by putting out the water.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 8:42 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Can we call them lazy if they dont put the water out?

Ive had it happen...although they did recognize their error and promptly handed them out
Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Alaska is NOT prohibited from serving alcohol on the ground in any city other than EWR (for some reason we need a license to serve alcohol if on the ground there). Many FA's have this misconception because many weren't around when pre-departure beverages were offered, including alcohol, and they've heard other FA's say that they aren't allowed so they just take it for gospel. Others just don't want to open the door to the entire FC cabin wanting an adult beverage on the ground so they say they blame "policy" because it's an easy out. Additionally, MOST airlines do a full pre-departure beverage service in FC as a matter of policy, including alcohol, so I highly doubt that most airlines have licenses that prohibit this. Finally, I have worked a variety of airlines over the years and have never heard that you had to throw away any open bottles before closing the door - at least in the U.S., other countries may have their own rules.

Let me just say, it is Alaska's policy to provide a water bottle at each seat. A full selection of pre-departure beverages are not part of the service provided. If a Flight Attendant offers more then they are simply going above and beyond, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's understood by the customers that it's not part of the routine service and the Flight Attendant that doesn't offer it later isn't necessarily "lazy", they have done their job by putting out the water.
Thanks for a very comprehensive explanation ^^
Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
Can we call them lazy if they dont put the water out?

Ive had it happen...although they did recognize their error and promptly handed them out
The main issue I've encountered is on a tight turn due to probably a late arrival, and catering was still being loaded. Once onboard however, its always promptly distributed
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me just say, it is Alaska's policy to provide a water bottle at each seat. A full selection of pre-departure beverages are not part of the service provided.
I seem to recall having this discussion before (if you search, you could probably find it pretty easily). Someone employed by AS (it may have even been you, AS Flyer) mentioned that it actually costs AS more to provide the bottle of water than it would to do a pre-departure beverage. I can't remember what the reason was, then, that AS chooses to forgo the full beverage service--it may be for fast turn time reasons or some such.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:46 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
well... you do have that iphone that can utilize wifi... especially in ANC! No more Edge... just AS Wifi!!!

(I can just see jackal lurking around AS A/C while on break trying to get a fast internet connection )
Its too bad EDGE in alaska is dirt slow, and no GSM-based 3G service is available yet. I swear dobson/at&t operates one of the slowest EDGE networks on the planet in fairbanks. I hope at&t corp whips that network into shape soon ...
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maokh
Its too bad EDGE in alaska is dirt slow, and no GSM-based 3G service is available yet. I swear dobson/at&t operates one of the slowest EDGE networks on the planet in fairbanks. I hope at&t corp whips that network into shape soon ...
Well, the airport's public wifi is a 1.544 Mbps symmetrical connection (hmm...looks like maybe a T1 ), so I doubt I'd be hiding out on planes at ANC just to check my email.

You're right about Dobson's EDGE. My friend noted (with his iPhone rev.1) that the EDGE network in SFO definitely had the edge over our EDGE. (Sorry...)

I do have it on good authority from about the highest-up folks you can get within the Alaska operations of AT&T that the network will be whipped into shape quite soon. Plans are now to have the 3G network up and running in Anchorage by December (don't know about Fairbanks). AT&T was very disappointed in the network they inherited from Dobson; the conclusion I drew is that, in the buyout negotiations, Dobson wasn't entirely forthcoming about the true status and capabilities of the wireless data network up here. AT&T is working as fast as they can to improve the network. It's taking a bit longer, though, since they are relocating their central switching equipment to their main headquarters on Government Hill (Dobson's network nexus is in the space behind their Business Park retail store--the one on C Street across from Lonestar). I have eyewitness reports that equipment is being installed in closets on Government Hill as we speak.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:46 am

Well, the airport's public wifi is a 1.544 Mbps symmetrical connection (hmm...looks like maybe a T1 ), so I doubt I'd be hiding out on planes at ANC just to check my email.

You're right about Dobson's EDGE. My friend noted (with his iPhone rev.1) that the EDGE network in SFO definitely had the edge over our EDGE. (Sorry...)

I do have it on good authority from about the highest-up folks you can get within the Alaska operations of AT&T that the network will be whipped into shape quite soon. Plans are now to have the 3G network up and running in Anchorage by December (don't know about Fairbanks). AT&T was very disappointed in the network they inherited from Dobson; the conclusion I drew is that, in the buyout negotiations, Dobson wasn't entirely forthcoming about the true status and capabilities of the wireless data network up here. AT&T is working as fast as they can to improve the network. It's taking a bit longer, though, since they are relocating their central switching equipment to their main headquarters on Government Hill (Dobson's network nexus is in the space behind their Business Park retail store--the one on C Street across from Lonestar). I have eyewitness reports that equipment is being installed in closets on Government Hill as we speak.
But for anything else, AS & Row 44 claim the AS internet to have a speed of 30 mbs... so it might be a tad faster then Ted Stevens Wifi

So where are all the eyewitness reports about people installing antennas and other electronics on AS A/C?

Its September... any sightings yet...
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by maokh
Wife in JNU just got an Iphone 3G from her boss and the AT&T Store employees told her the 3G network would be operational there in the November-December timeframe.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:27 am

Well, okay then : )

Alaska is NOT prohibited from serving alcohol on the ground in any city other than EWR (for some reason we need a license to serve alcohol if on the ground there). ......
Well, thanks for the very thorough response! I know, it is weird that we had to throw out the bottle....handed it over to GA and then who KNOWS what they did with it (wink wink).

I currently work for an LCC (no more FC onboard) but we are NOT allowed to serve alcohol on the ground, it's in our manuals. Glad to kno wyou all don't have that prohibition.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS, BA, VX, AA
Originally Posted by Punki
We walked up to the first-class line to board our LAX/MEX flight yesterday, after the boarding process had begun. The gate agent was processing coach passengers and didn't even acknowledge us. When we asked if we could board, she said, "Sorry, you weren't here when we called first class". Huh? Is that the plan for the first class line?

We just, cut into the line, handed her our boarding passes and got on the plane. AS agents outside of Seattle are often very strange.

No! The dedicated FC/MVPG line was intended for those in FC, MVPs and MVPGs to 'board at their leisure' and the boarding announcement WILL say that.

The LAX agent was INCORRECT in telling you this.

The boarding goes in this order:
Preboards (needing assistance/with children under 2)
First Class Cabin
(pause)
MVPG and row 6 of the main cabin
(pause)
Current 2008 MVP and elite members of our partner airlines
General boarding.

Last edited by kaceyellis; Sep 2, 2008 at 12:46 pm Reason: to clarify

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.