Old Aug 26, 2008, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
AS Cutting 80 Jobs

http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seatt...html?ana=yfcpc
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Two things to consider. These people are likely from the ranks of folks available at terminals, to help when things go wrong, like baggage, cancellations, etc. You don't see them every time you fly, but you will notice their absence. Secondly, 80 doesn't sound like a lot, but if they are all managers, that's a pretty sizeable number, given that Alaska is a relatively small carrier (smallest of the majors, I believe). Lastly, if they are so expendable, how did that clever senior management allow the place to get so fat? They've been cutting everything but the toilet paper for over a year.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:25 pm

Programs: CO, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by deelmakur
Lastly, if they are so expendable, how did that clever senior management allow the place to get so fat? They've been cutting everything but the toilet paper for over a year.
Its about a 5% cut. Roughly in line with ASM's. Not too much fat there.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:52 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
The more I think on this, I think a lot of these cuts are part of the reason we are seeing several red eye routes go to days in SEA and ANC. They can cut some night shift management and just put these same flights under some day manager already working. You know....cut a night crew....and make a day crew do the work of 2 crews and try to keep up. Therefore late departures, more lost luggage, more damaged luggage, etc....Fun for all!
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ANC
The more I think on this, I think a lot of these cuts are part of the reason we are seeing several red eye routes go to days in SEA and ANC. They can cut some night shift management and just put these same flights under some day manager already working. You know....cut a night crew....and make a day crew do the work of 2 crews and try to keep up. Therefore late departures, more lost luggage, more damaged luggage, etc....Fun for all!
I'm guessing there's no hoping for the ANC BR to stay open later to cover all the red-eyes if they disappear, then...
Old Aug 27, 2008, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ClassCAir
Its about a 5% cut. Roughly in line with ASM's. Not too much fat there.
5% of what? Are you claiming that Alaska has 1600 mid-level managers?

Alaska Air Group Inc. is laying off about 80 mid-level managers this month, a further effort to cut costs in response to rising fuel prices.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 6:46 am
Suspended

Two things to consider. These people are likely from the ranks of folks available at terminals, to help when things go wrong, like baggage, cancellations, etc. You don't see them every time you fly, but you will notice their absence. Secondly, 80 doesn't sound like a lot, but if they are all managers, that's a pretty sizeable number, given that Alaska is a relatively small carrier (smallest of the majors, I believe). Lastly, if they are so expendable, how did that clever senior management allow the place to get so fat? They've been cutting everything but the toilet paper for over a year.
Most of these cuts are not at the airport. "Corporate" is running increasingly tight, since management actually realizes the folks on the front line are the ones who serve the customers.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:36 am

A majority of the folks that are being cut are not front line folks. They've cut 5 people in my department so far, none of which were front line people, rather behind the scenes support for our group. They are just reallocating their work to other folks.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:57 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Even more reason to wonder why it was allowed to get that fat.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
I don't know anything about the staff layoffs, but I would just hope that AS has seen fit to maintain full staffing in terms of any folks responsible for ensuring that the airline runs reliably and punctually. Certainly, based on the numbers I've seen, operational performance during summer 08 was significantly better than summer 07 (better on-time performance and completion, and about a 50% reduction in mishandled baggage claims). I can only hope they can continue to sustain improvements in this regard.

The airline has "shrunk" a little bit over the past year, particularly in terms of total number of flights operated (down by about 5%), so I would think they'd be able to absorb the impact of some minor staff cutbacks without anything being obvious to customers.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Just to clarify, the ASMs (available seat miles) are still up slightly (July 07 to July 08) due to the increased average stage length (more longer flights, such as the new flights to Hawaii, and the loss of some short flights, like sfo-san, sna-oak). Fewer flights with a greater average distance resulting in a small increase in available seat miles.

July 2008 traffic/operations press release

Last edited by EIPremier; Aug 27, 2008 at 12:53 pm
Old Aug 27, 2008, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Well, a larger company with a focus on growth requires more people. Duh.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
It's not necessarily fat, but can be considered analogous to having extra planes available...You can do without them until things start to go wrong and then you have to cancel flights because you can't substitute equipment, etc. With personnel cutbacks, I would expect to see the established operations fail badly when things start to go wrong as opposed to service degrading gracefully as stresses mount.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 4:47 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
5% of what? [/I]
5% of all management
Old Aug 27, 2008, 5:13 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I find RPM's a completely irrelevant number. Not all miles are created equal.

A 100 mile flight can command several dollars average per mile and be profitable, while a longer, more competitive route may make just a few cents per mile. Why should the airline even be focused on increasing RPM?

You could ultimately add a bunch of loss leader 2500-3000 mile flights, bump up the RPM to great hights, and make the company look like is doing better. er....wait a minute...AS did recently start flying to the east coast...hmmm..

AS cutting jobs looks good on paper and good to investors, but at the cost of firing people lately, you almost might break even. I can think of a dozen different ways to free up $400k a month in operational costs....and getting rid of people wouldn't be one of them...

With every dollar per barrel increase effectively translating to millions/year in fuel costs, firing a couple guys working at airline salaries seems hardly worthwhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.