Search

Help with leftover miles: 10,256

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA/CO Silver, MR Silver, Hyatt Silver, Starwood Silver
Help with leftover miles: 10,256

Hi,

I have had these miles of 10,256 in a AS account for awhile and they are near expiration, and I was looking for some of your FT expert help on my options.

I am a memeber of Delta, American, United, Marriott rewards programs, thought I could transfer the miles to MR, but see I cannot.

Also, I am not located on the east coast and will no longer be flying AS anymore, so non-AS options are of most interest to me.

Thanks for any of your ideas.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AA and DL flights can accrue miles on AS. So can Marriott stays.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
First thing would be to keep the miles from expiring so you can maintain your options. There are actually many, many non-flying ways of accruing AS mileage. Check out the following link:

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileagep...gePartners.asp

Also, check out the Mileage Plan Shopping Mall, where even a very small purchase of something would extend the expiration date of your miles.

As far as redeeming them, the only thing I know off the top of my head that 10,000 miles would be good for is a one-way Alaska Airlines award (although it will be increasing to 12,500 here very soon!). I know you said you won't fly AS any more, but if there is a way you can make that work, that's probably the best use of your miles. I do not believe AS has any similar one-way awards on partners (the airlines that do allow one-way awards charge the same for them as round trips). As far as non-flying redemptions, I don't know off the top of my head what AS offers. I seem to recall things like magazine subscriptions, etc., but I can't find mention of them on the AS website. But poke around yourself and see if you can find anything:

http://www.alaskaair.com/mileageplan/

Best of luck!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:07 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by jackal
First thing would be to keep the miles from expiring so you can maintain your options. There are actually many, many non-flying ways of accruing AS mileage. Check out the following link:

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileagep...gePartners.asp

Also, check out the Mileage Plan Shopping Mall, where even a very small purchase of something would extend the expiration date of your miles.
I like that United has itunes on their shopping page. You can keep the account active for a $1 song
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP
10k AS miles is one one way free ticket on AS. You can also go to Coupon Connection to trade with someone else. Vouchers,etc.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ANC
I like that United has itunes on their shopping page. You can keep the account active for a $1 song
Yup, although I've noticed issues with miles posting for sub-$1 purchases, and since a $.99 song is (at least in states without sales tax ) less than $1, miles may not post. But it certainly is one of the most economical mileage activity actions!

Too bad AS isn't a partner with iTunes! (It is with the Apple Store online, though...as I always seem to forget until after I buy a new computer... )
Old Aug 15, 2008, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
10k AS miles is one one way free ticket on AS. You can also go to Coupon Connection to trade with someone else. Vouchers,etc.
The OP only has 7 posts to date. Is that really enough for Coupon Conneciton?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:30 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The OP only has 7 posts to date. Is that really enough for Coupon Conneciton?

No, it's not.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:51 am
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by UVAFlyer
I have had these miles of 10,256 in a AS account for awhile and they are near expiration, and I was looking for some of your FT expert help on my options.
If you are able to fly AS, or know someone who will be able to fly AS in the near future, you can use 10,000 miles for a one way award flight on AS (will be going up to 12,500 miles in the near future).
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA/CO Silver, MR Silver, Hyatt Silver, Starwood Silver
Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. I think I am just going to have to hold the miles for now, because I am on a foriegn project assignment for a few months so will not be able to use the one-way routing.

Thanks for all your help though.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 5:04 am

Programs: AS
You can always transfer them for one cent per mile to a friend, or family member. They also have a link on their website to donate the miles to charity.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by AKEmily
You can always transfer them for one cent per mile to a friend, or family member.
Plus $25.00 processing fee per transaction.

I am in a similar situation as the OP in that my wife has about 8500 miles in her AS account, and we keep posting a car rental each year or so to the account to keep it alive.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 4:44 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Go buy a coffee from one of the mileage plan dining partners
that should fix the situation.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by maokh
Go buy a coffee from one of the mileage plan dining partners
that should fix the situation.
Well, keeping it on life support isn't really my problem. Eventually finding something useful to do with it is, however. Well, maybe if Delta ends up buying Alaska, it will just get merged in with that account

I guess in the meantime I'll see if anyone in CC wants my own 25,000+ miles. At least they can be used for something
Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:15 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
You can donate the miles to one of the following charities:

Hero Miles:
Provides transportation to military who have been hospitalized as a result of their service in Iraq, Afghanistan , or surrounding areas, as well as their families.

Make-A-Wish Foundation:
Grants wishes to children with serious illnesses or injuries. When Make-A-Wish® volunteers ask a child for his or her favorite wish, very often the response begins with "I wish to go to....".

Medical Teams International:
Disaster relief organization that provides much needed medical staff and equipment/supplies to areas stricken throughout the world.

Angel Flight West:
Patient transportation for those needing medical treatment in another city (served by Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air), and who otherwise would not be able to afford the cost of getting there.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Foundation:
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center is an independent, nonprofit biomedical-research institution and is one of 39 National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer centers nationwide.

Alaska Airlines Charity Miles Pool:
These accumulated miles will be distributed at year-end to charities that are currently supported by Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air.

https://www.alaskaair.com/mileagepla...nateMiles.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.