Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

baggage fees for AA EXP flying on Alaska/Horizon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that

I'm flying next week from DFW to SEA on American Airlines and will then change to an Alaskan flight to Kelowna, BC (Canada). This flight is operated by Horizon. On the way back I am going to fly the same carriers. I have one record locator but am not sure whether the flights are considered codeshare.

Flying out of DFW I will not have to pay for either of my two sub-50 lbs. bags as I am Executive Platinum. However, what is the situation on the return, leaving from Kelowna? Will I have to pay for my second bag? If so, should I join Mileage Plan and try for a status match (I'll be doing one or two flights into CAN over the next year) and get the fee waived? Does anyone have experience in such a maneuver?

Bonus question: Will I receive AA FF miles for the two segments on Alaska/Horizon (booked in K and Q)? I think I should but am not 100% sure.

I posted here instead of the AA forum since my questions seem to be a little more Alaska/Horizon specific.

Thanks.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 1:50 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Q Class Discount Economy: 100% accrual, elite qualifying points earned 1.00
K Class Discount Economy: 100% accrual, elite qualifying points earned 0.50
http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...kaAirlines.jsp

In all cases i know, partner airlines recognize each others elite programs (flying Alaska Air in your case with a American flight number), as well as if you were to book a flight exclusively on Alaska Air and used your AA mileage number/status.

Alaska Air has MVP (equivalent AA Gold) and MVP Gold (equivalent AA Platinum). There is no "Executive Platinum" equivalent, but its basically an MVP Gold.

Current MVP Gold Mileage Plan members may check 2 bags free of charge
http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/hel...kedBaggage.asp

Even if you had no status, checking your bags on an Alaska/Horizon codeshare for a number of airlines (such as AA) would be a blessing. We still get one free bag and its always originating operator rules.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 1:59 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
you will have to pay for the 2nd bag coming out of Kelowna

Theoretically, you could get a status match, but its only good for the year, and its only do-able once. It may not make sense to play your only get out of jail free card for $100 savings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.